PDA

View Full Version : Is this true?

Sam
14-08-2009, 09:25 PM
I just got a text from a friend saying as of September, the age requirement for driving will be raised to 18. Anyone know if this is true?

Caution
14-08-2009, 09:26 PM
Not true, happens all the time.

Gnome
14-08-2009, 10:35 PM
not true, my mate sent me the exact same thing.

Sam
14-08-2009, 10:50 PM
Better not be or i think i'd cry =[

FlyingJesus
14-08-2009, 10:56 PM
Sam rumour's been going around for at least 20 years

Misawa
15-08-2009, 02:43 AM
Apparently the implementation that is going to happen is, you can learn to drive at 17, but the course will take a year so the realistic age for driving unsupervised is 18.

Nxrissa
16-08-2009, 11:32 AM
i havent heard anything like that. dont think so be over the news.

Clowgon
16-08-2009, 12:20 PM
I don't mind if they want to up the age but please wait until i pass my test!!!

Sam
16-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Yeah i know rumors have been going around for years but i didn't know if the person who told me had seen it on the news or something. I think that's what it's supposed to be. That you start the course at 17 but you cant drive unsupervised until you're 18.

Firehorse
16-08-2009, 10:35 PM
Its always been you can have a provisional when you're 17 while learning and do the test and get a full licence when you're 18.

DamianLove
16-08-2009, 10:53 PM
I thought this a couple months back.
It's never been passed but keeps coming back up.

Lost
16-08-2009, 11:04 PM
it's always been like that.

the youngest you can get your LICENSE is 17, but the youngest you can actually DRIVE is 18...

jam666
17-08-2009, 12:25 AM

the youngest you can get your LICENSE is 17, but the youngest you can actually DRIVE is 18...

This is completely stupid.

You can apply for a provisional license 3 months before your 17th birthday and obtain a driving license anytime from the date of your 17th birthday. Some people may well take until their 18 to pass their test but there is a large handful of people who WILL pass before their 18th birthday therefore your statement is flawed.

The age requirement WILL STAY at 17. It has been confirmed numerous times that it will be STAYING at 17. The only thing happening in september is relevant to the theory test.

Instead of having 50 theory questions you will now have 45 theory questions and 5 questions based on a case study (you read a story and answer questions on it) the pass mark will still remain at 43/50 and the hazard perception test will still remain as it currently is.

Hazza
17-08-2009, 12:27 AM

Lol, thats not true - I know plenty of 17 y/o drivers who have passed - one being my brother :S

Eamonn
17-08-2009, 12:28 AM
People are stupid on this forum

You can learn to drive at 17, 16 in special cases but you'd have to read up on the DVLA for more information on that. You can apply for your provisional two months in advance, not three. It will say on your provisional on the back when it is valid from, so if you have it before you are 17, it still wont be valid yet. When you are 17 and have a full provisional license you are free to learn to drive, take the theory and the practical test. Which means you can attain a full driving license and 17 and legally drive at 17, unsupervised.

Anyone who thought you had to be 17 to learn, but 18 to drive unsupervised, was very wrong.

jam666
17-08-2009, 12:51 AM
People are stupid on this forum

You can apply for your provisional two months in advance, not three

Yep some people sure are...

"The earliest date your Provisional Licence can be valid from is your seventeenth birthday, but you can apply for the Provisional Licence up to three months before then. If you receive your Provisional Licence before you´re seventeenth Birthday, you will still have to wait until your seventeenth birthday before your Provisional Licence is valid. You must not drive until you´ve received your Provisional Licence and have reached your seventeenth birthday"

Eamonn
17-08-2009, 01:08 AM
Yep some people sure are...

"The earliest date your Provisional Licence can be valid from is your seventeenth birthday, but you can apply for the Provisional Licence up to three months before then. If you receive your Provisional Licence before you´re seventeenth Birthday, you will still have to wait until your seventeenth birthday before your Provisional Licence is valid. You must not drive until you´ve received your Provisional Licence and have reached your seventeenth birthday"

And have you got a source for this quote?

Because when I was sixteen and enquired by ringing up the DVLA, I was told the earliest I could apply was two months before. And if you try to apply online for your provisional (which I first did), it wont let you if you birthday is over two months away :)

So don't try and call me stupid, when all I've provided is true information.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!