PDA

View Full Version : PC World cover plans?

Markeh
18-08-2009, 07:15 AM
My Acer has been at the menders for about 3 weeks now. On their PC Performance package, after 6 weeks, I get a replacement laptop. Would I get an equivalent spec (which doesn't exist now on laptops... Only netbooks), an equivalently priced laptop (it was £500 when new), or will I get vouchers for the value of the laptop? Would it matter that the battery in the machine was purchased by us from another place?

Chippiewill
18-08-2009, 10:30 AM
Could you give me some details such as how old it is, how it broke, bought it in store or online e.t.c.

I suspect they would just give you a similar spec however there is a consumer protection law where you can get a full refund if you can prove that the problem is part of manafacturing.

Markeh
18-08-2009, 05:39 PM
It was bought in store, March 2007. We purchased a cover plan on it at the same time.It's in for a new motherboard, lid, webcam and keyboard. The lid keeps cracking near the hinge (was replaced in Jan 09, same thing happened) the webcams wires have frayed (it twists round), the motherboard was fried when the fan packed up, and the I key keeps coming off it's hook.

The machine has had 1Gb extra RAM (fitted about 18 months ago by PC World) and a new battery (bought by us in May) since purchase. The power lead was replaced 18 months ago, and Vista was reinstalled in June due to a virus. This wasn't done by PC World as they wanted to charge us for recovery disks. Luckily, a friend of mine had his (his sister owned the same machine at the time). The machine is an Acer Aspire 9301AWSMi, running Vista Home Premium. Any other information you need?

I deserve a medal. I typed all that on an iPod Touch.

Chippiewill
18-08-2009, 08:49 PM
It was bought in store, March 2007. We purchased a cover plan on it at the same time.It's in for a new motherboard, lid, webcam and keyboard. The lid keeps cracking near the hinge (was replaced in Jan 09, same thing happened) the webcams wires have frayed (it twists round), the motherboard was fried when the fan packed up, and the I key keeps coming off it's hook.

Two occurrences which are problems with manufacturing, I will try and get the name of the consumer protection act which you can quote to get a refund.

Found it: It is called the 'Sale of Goods act', if you want a refund (For it's original worth mind) just say you want a full refund and not to fix it or replace it. It is also a matter with PC world, if they tell you to inquire with the manufacturer say no and tell them to brush up their knowledge on the act.

Also make sure to tell them that it is: 'Of not satisfactory Quality' due to a problem with design which makes the lid crack near the hinges and makes the web cam wires fray.

More Details: http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html

Regards, Mr Consumer protection Law Know it all

Markeh
19-08-2009, 06:49 AM
Thanks mate, that's absolutely brilliant.

DaveG
19-08-2009, 12:21 PM
Sale of goods act applies here

BUT

You have accepted a repair, therefore you give up any refund rights you had. So just push for a new machine (I Believe its like the whatever happens plan at Currys) this scheme run by the techguys gives a new machine after 28days this comes in the form of a voucher you spend in currys or pc world

Adam!
19-08-2009, 02:12 PM
I work for Currys (DSGi) same group as PC World..

If you laptop is not repaired within 21 days, your entitiled to vouchers equiviellent to the FULL amount you paid for the laptop. However, I've heard many stories that they'll try and fob you off with some reason or other. Persist with it and they will eventually give up and issue you vouchers.

Don't go into a store and demand a refund or anything, because they're not really in a position to help you.. Although they can, most sales/managers will be reluctant to do so because it's so time consuming and will just direct you to the call centre.

If you still have problems, I can help you further - But I would need your policy number and things.

I hate selling Whatever Happens it's the biggest rip off in the world.. you shouldn't take it, honestly. The only good part of WEH is IR (instant replacement) on cameras!

In reference to the battery, yes it would make a difference if they conclude that the battery you have in the laptop caused the fault.

Chippiewill
19-08-2009, 02:37 PM
Sale of goods act applies here

BUT

You have accepted a repair, therefore you give up any refund rights you had. So just push for a new machine (I Believe its like the whatever happens plan at Currys) this scheme run by the techguys gives a new machine after 28days this comes in the form of a voucher you spend in currys or pc world

Nope, he can get a refund, it does not void it. And don't go for coupons, say you want a full refund nothing else and also threaten to take them to small claims court.
Also they can hardly claim the battery caused a cracking near the hinge on the lid.

DaveG
19-08-2009, 06:18 PM
Nope, he can get a refund, it does not void it. And don't go for coupons, say you want a full refund nothing else and also threaten to take them to small claims court.
Also they can hardly claim the battery caused a cracking near the hinge on the lid.
Actually it does

The retailer has offered a repair the OP accepted a repair which voids any refund they can get. Its upto the OP to prove the fault was there since purchase. Go look on the Money Saving expert site where they talk about this and this is what they say.

You are clearly mistaken on the SoGA it states its upto him to prove after 6 months the fault was present since manufacturing, Even then they only need give a partial refund, As he has opted for a repair itll more likely go to a replace (Meaning the retailer has met their obligations)

If repair and replacement are not possible or too costly, then the consumer can seek a partial refund, if they have had some benefit from the good, or a full refund if the fault/s have meant they have enjoyed no benefit
Thats what part of the sale of goods act applies most here. He will be offered a replacement and they are attempting to repair it, again meeting there obligations.

@Adam: I had upgraded my laptop to manufacturers specification and the techguys lost it and they even paid out for the upgraded bits (Managed to get myself a decent sony laptop AND a LCD tv Gotta love Mastercare overvaluing a £300 laptop to £1190)

Oh don't forget, If you do opt for a new laptop ask for your old hard drive back (You are entitled to it under the policy) grab your data off it, format it and get a caddy off ebay making yourself a new external hdd :D

Chippiewill
19-08-2009, 09:24 PM
If you are returning goods that are not of satisfactory quality or not as described and you return them within a reasonable period of time you may be entitled to ask for a full refund. If you have had some use from the goods or have had them for a while before you take them back you could ask for a repair or a replacement item. You, as the consumer, have the option of which solution you would like, however you must not require the trader to repair or replace the goods if this would be too costly, as compared to another remedy.Then if after repair if the problem is still there then you can claim a refund :rolleyes:. By accepting a repair/replacement does not mean you suddenly lose your rights. Also the Repair/Replacement is made under warrenty, not the SoG so he can still claim a refund even now.

Markeh
19-08-2009, 10:36 PM
iAdam, thanks so much for your help. So, i'll receive the 500 I paid for the laptop plus the 45 I paid for the RAM upgrade, all in vouchers... If I'm persistant :)

Adam!
20-08-2009, 04:15 AM
@Adam: I had upgraded my laptop to manufacturers specification and the techguys lost it and they even paid out for the upgraded bits (Managed to get myself a decent sony laptop AND a LCD tv Gotta love Mastercare overvaluing a £300 laptop to £1190)

Oh don't forget, If you do opt for a new laptop ask for your old hard drive back (You are entitled to it under the policy) grab your data off it, format it and get a caddy off ebay making yourself a new external hdd :D

If it was to the manufacturers specification, your suppost to inform Mastercare/WEH/PCP - But they will usually honour it anyway lol. Mastercare always overvalue things..

And I need to second this, ASK FOR YOUR HDD back. Techguys will only misuse your data in someway or another.. Add you to MSN and all sorts..

iAdam, thanks so much for your help. So, i'll receive the 500 I paid for the laptop plus the 45 I paid for the RAM upgrade, all in vouchers... If I'm persistant :)

I'm not iAdam but I assume your talking to me lol..

Yes, you will. Tell them you've spoken to a sales colleague in Currys and they've told you that if the laptop is not repaired in 21 days your entitled to a replacement laptop in the form of vouchers.

If they don't agree, PM me and I'll get them to agree :8

Markeh
23-08-2009, 08:42 AM
I wlll try that. Thanks. Sorry about the name misprint, Im using my iPod keyboard. I'm defo asking for my HDD back. I want it to put in another machine to be honest.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!