PDA

View Full Version : DVI over VGA...

Hitman
18-08-2009, 10:01 PM
Hey, I just bought an Asus GeForce 9400GT gfx card and it has a DVI port... my friend said I should use the DVI port/cable over VGA... is he right? Is it better, and if so, how/why?

Also, would the gfx card come with a dvi cable? It's all new/boxed etc, dunno if it comes with cables...

Thanks.

Pyroka
18-08-2009, 10:05 PM
SOmeone correct me if I'm wrong, but DVI is basically HDMI quality but HDMI also includes the HD audio. DVI does not include that. So really, go for the DVI port, I know its better than VGA.

It may come with cables, depends really, you never knowww

Jordy
18-08-2009, 10:05 PM
From my experiences, graphics cards never come with cables. It's usually monitors which come with the cables.

DVI is digital and can do HD I believe, unlike VGA which is older and analogue. It depends on what your monitor supports though, it's probably VGA.

N!ck
18-08-2009, 10:06 PM
It will not come with any cable and usually has a DVI to VGA adapter boxed but not always if there's a VGA port on the card.

If you're using a VGA connection on the monitor you may as well just connect straight to VGA - there's no point using the adapter unnecessarily as there should be no quality difference.

Hitman
18-08-2009, 10:13 PM
SOmeone correct me if I'm wrong, but DVI is basically HDMI quality but HDMI also includes the HD audio. DVI does not include that. So really, go for the DVI port, I know its better than VGA.

It may come with cables, depends really, you never knowww
Ok cheers mate!

From my experiences, graphics cards never come with cables. It's usually monitors which come with the cables.

DVI is digital and can do HD I believe, unlike VGA which is older and analogue. It depends on what your monitor supports though, it's probably VGA.
OK, cheers! Yeah my monitor is VGA.

It will not come with any cable and usually has a DVI to VGA adapter boxed but not always if there's a VGA port on the card.

If you're using a VGA connection on the monitor you may as well just connect straight to VGA - there's no point using the adapter unnecessarily as there should be no quality difference.OK, thanks! :D

The Professor
18-08-2009, 11:18 PM
VGA is analogue, DVI is digital. So all the advantages you get from digital TV over analogue you get in that as well, except over the air reception obv :p

N!ck
18-08-2009, 11:26 PM
VGA is analogue, DVI is digital. So all the advantages you get from digital TV over analogue you get in that as well, except over the air reception obv :p

There are two types of DVI. DVI-A which is analog and DVI-D which is digital. The DVI port on a graphics card is DVI-I (integrated) which means it can act as either DVI-A or DVI-D. When a DVI to VGA adapter is connected DVI-A is used so it's still an analog connection ;).

Chippiewill
19-08-2009, 01:21 AM
Well, DVI on it's own stands for 'Digital Video'. Basically if your monitor has DVI then use the DVI, if it uses VGA then only use an adapter if you must as Analogue dies fast over distance (And an adapter will degrade it more).

The Professor
19-08-2009, 09:17 AM
There are two types of DVI. DVI-A which is analog and DVI-D which is digital. The DVI port on a graphics card is DVI-I (integrated) which means it can act as either DVI-A or DVI-D. When a DVI to VGA adapter is connected DVI-A is used so it's still an analog connection ;).

Well that has officially owned me :P

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!