PDA

View Full Version : CPU temperature

Hitman
20-08-2009, 09:45 AM
Hi, my PC has an Intel core 2 Quad Q8200 processor at 2.33Ghz. At idle the temperatures are at around 45C, and when under a bit of strain (FF open, bittorrent running, a few small programs and a full system scan) the system reaches 50 - 60C. Now, I was looking and the max temp it can reach is 71 before it dies or whatever, so 60 if fairly close...

The cooling for my CPU is a coolmaster thing, it's like a massive tube and the fan... dunno the exact name, but I think it's a pretty basic fan.

I want to know what'd be the best thing for me to do to try and get the temperatures down? Buy a better fan? Or get a new heatsink? I read that can help...

What would you guys suggest, and if I were to buy a new fan and heatsink, how easy would it be to replace my current ones?

Thanks.

Jahova
20-08-2009, 09:57 AM
Aftermarket cooling. I suggest an artic cooler, they're cheap and bring down temps quite a bit. If you're overclocking, look for better.

Chippiewill
20-08-2009, 09:58 AM
Get a better Fan, it might come with a heat sink as well. You could also try applying some new thermal paste.

Stephen!
20-08-2009, 10:20 AM
You don't need to buy a better one. Your temperatures are fine.

JoshYoung
20-08-2009, 10:29 AM
Did you build it yourself? or is it factory built ? If it is factory built check their FAQ or support see what they say. In my opinion you really must be using some juicey programs for it to give those temperatures of that cpu.
My Dedi Servers intel duo core 2.5 CPU was running at 50C a week ago. and i was recommended to replace it. Okay its a server, but nothing was running.

Agnostic Bear
20-08-2009, 10:39 AM
Gonna go ahead and agree with the above.

As long as it's under, even by 1c, it's fine, it's just over when you have to worry about things.

Hitman
20-08-2009, 11:21 AM
You don't need to buy a better one. Your temperatures are fine.
OK, thanks. If it was cooler, would it run better?

Did you build it yourself? or is it factory built ? If it is factory built check their FAQ or support see what they say. In my opinion you really must be using some juicey programs for it to give those temperatures of that cpu.
My Dedi Servers intel duo core 2.5 CPU was running at 50C a week ago. and i was recommended to replace it. Okay its a server, but nothing was running.
Well, it was factory built by Packard Bell, but the mobo and PSU died so it has a custom mobo and PSU.

Right now each core is at 51, 47, 46 and 49. All that's running is Eset smart security in the BG, Firefox, MSN (not signed in), crappy Intel gfx accelerator and Vista itself.

Gonna go ahead and agree with the above.

As long as it's under, even by 1c, it's fine, it's just over when you have to worry about things.
Agreeing with Stephen I guess (the above guy cut in before had a different opinion).

Cheers guys. If cooling makes a difference to performance I might try something different for cooling, but if it doesn't then I'll leave it be.

Chippiewill
20-08-2009, 11:24 AM
Right now each core is at 51, 47, 46 and 49. All that's running is Eset smart security in the BG, Firefox, MSN (not signed in), crappy Intel gfx accelerator and Vista itself.

Yeh, good ol' resource intensive Vista, making computers overheat since '07

N!ck
20-08-2009, 11:59 AM
It sounds a little high but not excessively. Maybe the heatsink isn't seated properly.

The Professor
20-08-2009, 12:15 PM
Mine's always run at that lol, is that bad? :P

Chippiewill
20-08-2009, 12:18 PM
If the temp of my Mobo/Processor is at 75C then it will last 4000hours, if it is at 45C then it lasts 4000000 hours. Temperature matters guys.

Hitman
20-08-2009, 12:41 PM
It sounds a little high but not excessively. Maybe the heatsink isn't seated properly.
I'll have a look when I put my GFX card in today, is it hard to check if it's in? I'll have a look on Google.

Stephen!
20-08-2009, 03:56 PM
OK, thanks. If it was cooler, would it run better?

No, it wouldn't.

Stephen!
20-08-2009, 03:57 PM
If the temp of my Mobo/Processor is at 75C then it will last 4000hours, if it is at 45C then it lasts 4000000 hours. Temperature matters guys.

Please, provide a source for this information.

I know the higher the temperature, the lower the life span, but the difference is not that great at all.

Fehm
20-08-2009, 04:36 PM
I've noticed mine over heating just lately, I cant be bothered with the hardware stuff so, Prop it up with a few DVD's and put a desk fan near it, It'll be rate if your worried :P

Just realised your probably using a Desktop PC LOL sorry!

Hitman
20-08-2009, 04:47 PM
I think I'll just take of the heatsink/fan when I open it up later or tomorrow and just clean the dust out. After watching a couple of videos I concluded that the heatsink just clips out so it's easy enough... when I opened it before the fan was dusty.

Flisker
20-08-2009, 04:58 PM
My PC over heats at the moment because of my room temp. is constantly above 30c in the summer. Moving to a different room soon so hopefully my temps should go down.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!