PDA

View Full Version : Lockerbie Bomber Released

Jordy
20-08-2009, 12:32 PM
The Lockerbie bomber is to be released on compassionate grounds, the Scottish Government has announced.

Abdelbaset Ali al-Megrahi, 57, was jailed in 2001 for the atrocity which claimed 270 lives in 1988.

Scottish Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill revealed that the Libyan, who has terminal prostate cancer, would be allowed to return to his homeland.

The BBC understands he will be flown to Tripoli on a specially chartered plane due to leave Glasgow after 1400 BST.http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/south_of_scotland/8197370.stm

Let's show compassion to a guy who served 8 years for killing 270 people :rolleyes:

Adam!
20-08-2009, 12:52 PM
I'm not even going to say what I think but all I am saying is that the United Kingdom is a disgrace.

DaveTaylor
20-08-2009, 12:59 PM
I'm not even going to say what I think but all I am saying is that the United Kingdom is a disgrace.

agreed ^.

Jahova
20-08-2009, 01:04 PM
What a fool. Life sentence in 8 years, wow.

myke
20-08-2009, 01:04 PM
prostate cancer doesn't kill :/

lick
20-08-2009, 01:06 PM

well its gunna kill him :/

Jordy
20-08-2009, 01:15 PM
I'm not even going to say what I think but all I am saying is that the United Kingdom is a disgrace.I don't like to be picky but I want to make clear it's the SCOTTISH government entirely who made this awful decision and not the UK Government. More reasons for me to hate the damned SNP, frankly I'd prefer it if Labour were in power in Scotland.

It's disgusting, he's served around a fortnight for each person he's killed. They've not even gone after the other people responsible for the bombing, they pretty much gave up once they convicted him.

Fez
20-08-2009, 01:15 PM
I hate this country, it's ridiculous justice system, it's broken politics and it's intolerance for change.

My friend's aunt died in the Lockerbie bombings, and it's a disgrace that a killer can get 8 years in Prison for a life sentence, just because he caught the cancer doesn't mean he should get off scot free. It's a life sentence, not an 8 year sentence.

jackass
20-08-2009, 01:53 PM

Where did you get that from? :S

myke
20-08-2009, 03:27 PM
d.w. i got confused... sorry lol, even though someone i know had it and he lived until he was 96, when he died he died from old age, not the cancer? :S idk

Adam!
20-08-2009, 03:43 PM
I don't like to be picky but I want to make clear it's the SCOTTISH government entirely who made this awful decision and not the UK Government. More reasons for me to hate the damned SNP, frankly I'd prefer it if Labour were in power in Scotland.

I agree, but it's still part of the United Kingdom.. Unfortunately and it looks bad on England as well as Scotland, especially to the yanks.

Technologic
20-08-2009, 04:12 PM
I dont know what to think on this....

LuketheDuke
20-08-2009, 04:22 PM
the man will be dead in a couple of months anyway, i pressume as hes in a lot of pain hes not going to enjoy any freedom thats been given to him and will spend his final days drugged to his eyeballs in a dank hospital.

i dont see what all the hullabaloo is about.

Technologic
20-08-2009, 04:36 PM
Also, he wasn't really convicted on solid solid evidence.

Stefy09
20-08-2009, 05:07 PM
He didn't care about killing all those people so why should we care how he dies? Stupid scottish government

Remote
20-08-2009, 07:26 PM
the man will be dead in a couple of months anyway, i pressume as hes in a lot of pain hes not going to enjoy any freedom thats been given to him and will spend his final days drugged to his eyeballs in a dank hospital.

i dont see what all the hullabaloo is about.
He killed 270 people and served only 8 years :|

RichardKnox
20-08-2009, 08:57 PM
It'd be naive to think that this is simply a compassionate release, the politics involved here will be overwhelming, and many people seem to think that although the yanks were pressuring for MacAskill to not release him in public, behind closed doors it could end up giving a benefit to international trade etc.

The bomber is simply being used as a pawn it seems. Also, the UK government will have been involved in this but MacAskill will, hopefully as justice secretary, had the final decision. If anyone watched his speech, I know it's not great to say, but he did well to try and shine any positive light on this at all with his "he has been sentenced to a sentence that no court could hand out" etc. Personally believe this is a lot about opening links for trade with Libya etc as since then they have been slightly frozen out if you know what I mean.

And the bomber will definately enjoy his last days in Libya, but releasing him into Greenock but without imprisonment would have left him begging for jail again... (no offence to anyone from Greenock haha)

The Professor
20-08-2009, 10:34 PM
They put a guy in prison to die, then they let him out BECAUSE he's goingto die. That makes no sense whatsoever.

Yoshimitsui
20-08-2009, 10:53 PM
I personally could not be more annoyed towards this person allowing this, they deserve a cell themselves.

xxMATTGxx
21-08-2009, 05:30 AM
Worst terrorist attack on British soil and they let the guy get on a plane and leave. Well done to the Scottish Government. You have done us proud!!! :rolleyes: No wonder the USA are annoyed :/

xxMATTGxx
21-08-2009, 09:21 AM
Litte More:

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/46240000/jpg/_46240866_007823235-1.jpg

"Foreign Secretary David Miliband has said he found the celebratory welcome in Libya of the man convicted of the Lockerbie bombing "deeply distressing".

-Heart
21-08-2009, 09:31 AM
This is just disgusting. ******* disgusting.

-Heart
22-08-2009, 09:08 PM
I hope somebody goes up to this man and shoots him. Shoots him between the eyes. I hope he burns in hell.

Jamie!
22-08-2009, 09:30 PM
Good on him, and good on MacAskill for having the balls to make the decision.

His conviction was completely unsafe, a political conviction to say the least. The real perpetrators were more than likely Iranian (in response to the USA earlier downing an Iranian airliner killing 290 civillians), as first leads initially suggested, but for some reason Libya, and in particular al-Mehrahi, were made the scapegoats. Just goes to show how International Courts are controlled by the West and the partisan.

As for the US complaining about the support he received upon his return, hypocrites of the highest order. After successfully downing the Iranian airliner, USS Vincennes returned to San Diego as heroes and the crew awarded combat action medals for "quickly and precisely completing the firing procedure".

Caution
22-08-2009, 10:21 PM
Ah I was gonna make a thread on this a few days ago, didn't know there was one. It's disgusting that he's been released, especially on "compassionate grounds" when he didn't show any compassion to the people he killed.

NIKKEE
23-08-2009, 12:11 AM
I wish people would stop saying they regret "Scotland's decision" they didn't bloody poll us all and ask us what to flamin well do, it was one man's decision.

Kenny MacAskill is a man who knows what he's doing, there was obviously reasons for him doing it. People said he caved in, I don't see that at all. Caving in would have been doing what would probably have been an easier thing to do and just leave him in prison. It was a very brave thing to do to make that decision.
Yes of course it is a TERRIBLE thing he did, and don't bloody well try and say for one minute that I feel sorry for the guy, but I can't see how this should do Scotland any harm. If anything, maybe put the UK in a better light in the eyes of a country that has terrorists.

Robert Mueller's comment that it's given comfort to terrorists around the world is ridiculous.
I'm so angry at all this, hullabaloo indeed!

Chippiewill
23-08-2009, 12:31 AM
:'(

<insert large amount of swearing here>

<insert large amount of shame on the guy who let him out>

<insert a lot of willingness to murder 'said' guy>

<insert sarcasm>

http://newmedia.funnyjunk.com/pictures/face_palm.jpg

http://www.genuinecuriosity.com/genuinecuriosity/vader-fail.jpg

http://blog.news-record.com/staff/culture/Comic%20Book%20Guy.png

Worst descision EVER

Jordy
23-08-2009, 01:14 AM
:'(

<insert large amount of swearing here>

<insert large amount of shame on the guy who let him out>

<insert a lot of willingness to murder 'said' guy>

<insert sarcasm>

Worst descision EVERHow very constructive of you.

Good on him, and good on MacAskill for having the balls to make the decision.

His conviction was completely unsafe, a political conviction to say the least. The real perpetrators were more than likely Iranian (in response to the USA earlier downing an Iranian airliner killing 290 civillians), as first leads initially suggested, but for some reason Libya, and in particular al-Mehrahi, were made the scapegoats. Just goes to show how International Courts are controlled by the West and the partisan.

As for the US complaining about the support he received upon his return, hypocrites of the highest order. After successfully downing the Iranian airliner, USS Vincennes returned to San Diego as heroes and the crew awarded combat action medals for "quickly and precisely completing the firing procedure".I personally think the conviction is irrelevant, the only relevant bit is "Guilty". He went through the courts process and it came out "Guilty" so that's how he should be treated and no other way. If he didn't commit the crime he's failed to provide convincing evidence of this in his appeals and the original court case. He may now have evidence and he should of by all means appealed to clear his name. However he shouldn't be released on compassionate grounds because his conviction is a bit woeful, he is convicted, end of.

It also doesn't mean that Libya should celebrate the homecoming of a convicted criminal just because the Americans did. It doesn't make it right that Libya should act in this way otherwise it's just another "eye for an eye" situation.

Adam!
23-08-2009, 10:17 AM
I wish people would stop saying they regret "Scotland's decision" they didn't bloody poll us all and ask us what to flamin well do, it was one man's decision.

But it was Scotland's decision.. It was your government, your country, therefore, Scotland's decision....

NIKKEE
23-08-2009, 10:38 AM
But it was Scotland's decision.. It was your government, your country, therefore, Scotland's decision....

So you are saying that all Scottish people are to blame?

Jordy
23-08-2009, 11:04 AM
So you are saying that all Scottish people are to blame?No don't be silly when someone refers to Scotland they mean the Government. And the Justice Secretary represents the Scottish Government so therefore it is Scotlands fault. You could say that it's the peoples fault for putting the SNP in power.

Gullable
23-08-2009, 12:05 PM
they should let him die from cancer, he killed all them people & did you see the people applauding him as he stepped off a plane, this whole world is sick never mind england, a life sentence should be for life not 8 years.
SICKO

jackass
23-08-2009, 01:05 PM
they should let him die from cancer, he killed all them people & did you see the people applauding him as he stepped off a plane, this whole world is sick never mind england, a life sentence should be for life not 8 years.
SICKO

Totally agreed, he should be left to rot.

Robbie
23-08-2009, 01:16 PM
'Compassionate grounds'. What the hell? He never showed any compassion did he. :rolleyes:

Pixet
23-08-2009, 03:57 PM
He shouldn't be let out. It's an outrage. So what he's dying, he should burn in hell for what he done. I agree with the compassionate thing.

He's a bad, bad person and should spend the rest of his life rotting in jail. It's shocking and annoying. The law is a joke.

LoveToStack
24-08-2009, 10:54 AM
Kenny MacAskill is a man who knows what he's doing, there was obviously reasons for him doing it. People said he caved in, I don't see that at all. Caving in would have been doing what would probably have been an easier thing to do and just leave him in prison. It was a very brave thing to do to make that decision.

He did cave in. Caved under the pressure of the second appeal, if you ask me, that was looming which would have presumably proven that he wasn't guilty at all thus making the Scottish government look even more ridiculous.
Assuming he was guilty I agree with those seeing it as a bad decision. This also gives anyone with a lower profile (everyone) a get out of jail free card if they are terminal despite MacAskill saying "these cases are dealt with on an individual basis" there's no logic behind keeping in someone convicted of a lesser crime in jail if they are happy to let mass murders go on their way.

Describe
25-08-2009, 12:47 PM
He killed 270 people and served only 8 years :|
They had no evidence that it was him. He was used as a scapegoat for sure.

Bun
28-08-2009, 09:48 AM
how sick and embarrasing. can't england just wash it's hands of scotland? if they want independence let them, and sit back and watch them rot.

hmv
28-08-2009, 10:12 AM
One word to the people that released him - idiots.

Caution
28-08-2009, 06:37 PM
how sick and embarrasing. can't england just wash it's hands of scotland? if they want independence let them, and sit back and watch them rot.I wish Scotland would become independent, it's embarrassing enough at the minute having anything to do with England.
We didn't have anything to do with the decision, there was no referendum. If he was held in an English prison and released the fault wouldn't lie with the English citizens would it?:rolleyes:

Bun
28-08-2009, 07:46 PM
I wish Scotland would become independent, it's embarrassing enough at the minute having anything to do with England.
We didn't have anything to do with the decision, there was no referendum. If he was held in an English prison and released the fault wouldn't lie with the English citizens would it?:rolleyes:
yeah but all those patriotic scots who go on saying that they hate england and stuff annoy the hell out of me. OKAY GREAT BECOME INDEPENDENT, LOSE OUT ON THE *REMOVED* LOADS OF MONEY THAT YOU GET FROM US, DO US A FAVOUR! We give you crap loads of cash, and in return we get English hating jocks and Gordon Brown? :eusa_wall

Edited by Yoshimitsui (Forum Administrator): Please do not avoid the filter.

Caution
28-08-2009, 07:58 PM
OI, GORDON BROWN SAVED THIS COUNTRY. (:$)

Yeah I wish we would become independent, I'm sure it's more like us giving you lot the crap loads of cash though. Scotland has massive amounts of oil. I cba getting into it though, and I'm honestly not that knowledgeable on it so I'll shut up.

Neil
28-08-2009, 09:47 PM
Meh, who cares, to be honest if any of you served an 8 year sentance in jail then justice served, if you're gonna cry over it still then grow up, 8 years in the same place, eating the same food, being in a very uncomfortable environment can't be the best thing for anyone and this guy must of recieved torment, abuse and ridocule in jail aswell as out of it, he's got cancer, it would be much better for his family and friends if he was to die in his hometown, where he can recieve a proper burial.

Good luck to him I say.

Caution
28-08-2009, 09:53 PM
The victims didn't receive a proper burial though. He killed 270 people and they couldn't spend time with their family. :S

Neil
28-08-2009, 09:57 PM
The victims didn't receive a proper burial though. He killed 270 people and they couldn't spend time with their family. :S

So? He's still alive, he may of done a horrible thing but like I said, he served time, people over exaggerate so much these days it's stupid. :rolleyes:

Caution
28-08-2009, 10:10 PM
Over exaggerate? The people are dead though. He should be too.

Jordy
28-08-2009, 10:25 PM
I wish Scotland would become independent, it's embarrassing enough at the minute having anything to do with England.
We didn't have anything to do with the decision, there was no referendum. If he was held in an English prison and released the fault wouldn't lie with the English citizens would it?:rolleyes:It's the majority of Scottish people's fault for voting the SNP who made this decision and also their fault for choosing to have their own government anyway in the referendums. If the majority of people in Scotland didn't do those things then it would lie with London as per usual.

Bun
29-08-2009, 09:38 AM
wasn't it 4 days before christmas as well? thousands of people will have had a sad christmas because of a dead relative.

Neil
29-08-2009, 11:56 AM
Over exaggerate? The people are dead though. He should be too.

That would make more sense if he was on death row but it doesn't, he's going to die no matter where he is, the people are dead, yes it was a big sadness but that was like 20 years ago, he was free until 2001 so I can't imagine 3 or so more months is going to matter

wasn't it 4 days before christmas as well? thousands of people will have had a sad christmas because of a dead relative.

People die on, and before Christmas all the time, doesn't make much difference when it was, people are sad no matter what.

Yoshimitsui
29-08-2009, 12:06 PM
That would make more sense if he was on death row but it doesn't, he's going to die no matter where he is, the people are dead, yes it was a big sadness but that was like 20 years ago, he was free until 2001 so I can't imagine 3 or so more months is going to matter

People die on, and before Christmas all the time, doesn't make much difference when it was, people are sad no matter what.

I think what people are getting at is the principal still remains that despite he is dieing he should have been left to rot to his very last moment.

buttons
29-08-2009, 12:23 PM
yeah but all those patriotic scots who go on saying that they hate england and stuff annoy the hell out of me. OKAY GREAT BECOME INDEPENDENT, LOSE OUT ON THE SHT LOADS OF MONEY THAT YOU GET FROM US, DO US A FAVOUR! We give you crap loads of cash, and in return we get English hating jocks and Gordon Brown? :eusa_wall
okay well that's not very fair, you're just being exactly the same with your "patriotic english" stuff + if we could become independent i think a few people would like that but it's just not happening. when the british government do anything "good" (rarely) it's england that gets all the glory so obviously you're going to get all the blame put on you too. just deal with it. it wouldn't make a difference if we were independent or not. i'm not really good with this kind of thing but what i really don't understand though is it was a scottish town that was bombed and not only did americans in the plane crash but there were also scottish people who died on the ground so yeah we have more control over it and it should have nothing to do with england, we should be just as upset about it as americans but we're not and we're over it.

yeh i agree with you, if it was a family member or friend of mine i would want them to spend their remaining days at home. i don't care that he killed loads of people, he's out to spend time with people and that's doing no harm? it's just the same as his family coming to visit him while he dies i don't see the difference or why it's such a big ******* deal.

i don't know much bout this and if we wanna vote in snp it's our decision :/

wow nice over-using of the word "rot" just makes me think some of you are as sick as the guy who did it

Bun
29-08-2009, 04:46 PM
okay well that's not very fair, you're just being exactly the same with your "patriotic english" stuff + if we could become independent i think a few people would like that but it's just not happening. when the british government do anything "good" (rarely) it's england that gets all the glory so obviously you're going to get all the blame put on you too. just deal with it. it wouldn't make a difference if we were independent or not. i'm not really good with this kind of thing but what i really don't understand though is it was a scottish town that was bombed and not only did americans in the plane crash but there were also scottish people who died on the ground so yeah we have more control over it and it should have nothing to do with england, we should be just as upset about it as americans but we're not and we're over it.

and once again, scotland as a country has shown it's brilliance!

Wahey
29-08-2009, 04:53 PM
and once again, scotland as a country has shown it's brilliance!
Get out, stop acting as though you're bloody perfect

Bun
29-08-2009, 05:19 PM
Get out, stop acting as though you're bloody perfect
but of course england is perfect. surely a scotsman would know that? :rolleyes:

Wahey
29-08-2009, 05:25 PM
but of course england is perfect. surely a scotsman would know that? :rolleyes:
I can't believe i actually expected a decent response from you.

Shockwave.2CC
29-08-2009, 08:14 PM
I think he should of stayed in jail

He only got let out cus he's got cancer, which i don't think is true

Caution
29-08-2009, 08:16 PM

He only got let out cus he's got cancer, which i don't think is trueHe does have cancer..

NIKKEE
29-08-2009, 09:16 PM
Meh, who cares, to be honest if any of you served an 8 year sentance in jail then justice served, if you're gonna cry over it still then grow up, 8 years in the same place, eating the same food, being in a very uncomfortable environment can't be the best thing for anyone and this guy must of recieved torment, abuse and ridocule in jail aswell as out of it, he's got cancer, it would be much better for his family and friends if he was to die in his hometown, where he can recieve a proper burial.

Good luck to him I say.

Actually he said prison was alright, I read an interview with him, and he said the people of Scotland were great.
And people still don't know if it was him, at no point as he ever slipped and said he was sorry to the families for what he did, he has continued his story. I don't really believe it was him, in a way hope it isn't.
And I wish people wouldn't backlash the SNP, seriously, I think it's excellent and will vote for it when I can.
It's a strange thing for me hearing people are against it, as if it always messes up or something. It's not like we're in comparisson to say, Labour or America!

Anyone seen any of the crap about boycotting Scotland?

tdi
31-08-2009, 11:12 PM

He only got let out cus he's got cancer, which i don't think is true
yeah that's right, he's probably just having them on.. :rolleyes:

Black_Apalachi
01-09-2009, 07:50 AM
It worries me to think what I might be capable of if I had no morals, because the "punishments" people receive in the UK for some horrendous crimes would certainly not scare be enough to deter me away from considering such crimes.

However, the guy's not going to have a massive quality of life - however long left he has. It's not as if he's a healthy middle-aged person who's probably going to commit the same kind of crimes again.

Then again, maybe this just sends the message out to his people that the risk of such a relatively lenient punishment is well worth committing such crimes in the future - especially if they can find an old guy who's willing to do it.

UKIP
05-09-2009, 12:48 PM

yeh i agree with you, if it was a family member or friend of mine i would want them to spend their remaining days at home. i don't care that he killed loads of people, he's out to spend time with people and that's doing no harm? it's just the same as his family coming to visit him while he dies i don't see the difference or why it's such a big ******* deal.

i don't know much bout this and if we wanna vote in snp it's our decision :/

wow nice over-using of the word "rot" just makes me think some of you are as sick as the guy who did it

Do you know that ENGLAND pays for Scotland to have free university, free school meals - more money is spent on Scottish people per head than English people, despite England making all the money for the United Kingdom, not Scotland.

It makes me so angry how Scotland thinks its fantastic and needs to be independant yet Scotland is still willing to accept billions in English taxpayer money to fund its country. If there was ever a country thats hypocritical its Scotland. If you do become independant and the United Kingdom cuts funds to you, you will have taxes raised very high, the country will be in debt and you will lose free university and similar schemes - I can gurantee it.

As for showing compassion, I wonder if Alex Salmond or Gordon Browns' family had been murdered in that plane if everyone would still be told to show 'compassion' to this man. I didn't think do.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!