PDA

View Full Version : Phobias!

Describe
20-08-2009, 06:27 PM
I was thinking about the huge list of weird and wonderful phobias out there while aimlessly surfing the internet and it occured to me that I only know three people with a phobia; my sister, my best friend and another friend.

My sister suffers from Bananaphobia which has always been a great laugh growing up. My best friend, Chris (Gnome) suffers from a baked bean phobia which is called Leguminophobia which, at the time, was hilarious and my other friend Jenna can't stand clowns which actually, is very common.

I thought I'd post so you lot could share your phobias, go on! :)

Fifteen
20-08-2009, 06:32 PM
Glitter

buttons
20-08-2009, 06:40 PM
Weelllll I have emetophobia, started when I was 12/13. It's when you're scared of vomiting basically lol, I mean actually scared of it. For me it's when I see/hear someone being sick I get really freaked out and panicky. I even get shakey if someone only SAYS they feel sick, I always have to sit next to a door e.g out for a meal for quick escape just in case :( oh well, I hear it's really common although I've never met anyone else with it.

Gnome
20-08-2009, 06:40 PM
correction, Jenna is scared of anyone or thing dressed up.

I'm not scared of beans : <

Caution
20-08-2009, 06:44 PM
Arachnophobia. I'm sure I have it. When I was a toddler I had a spider in my hand and gave it to my Mum and she went ape**** so I think I've got it 'cos of that. It's so stupid 'cos I know they can't do me any harm, I just get really agitated if I know there's one near me.

Describe
20-08-2009, 06:56 PM
Arachnophobia. I'm sure I have it. When I was a toddler I had a spider in my hand and gave it to my Mum and she went ape**** so I think I've got it 'cos of that. It's so stupid 'cos I know they can't do me any harm, I just get really agitated if I know there's one near me.
Because you had a spider in your hand, gave it to your mum and she went mental you've got arachnophobia? It doesn't make sense.

buttons
20-08-2009, 06:58 PM
Because you had a spider in your hand, gave it to your mum and she went mental you've got arachnophobia? It doesn't make sense.
yes, it does. if you see someone freak out over something when you're younger you'll not know any better and think it's something that's scary and should be avoided, it's not like you can really form your own opinions and it can carry on throughout childhood and when you're old, it's the same with a lot of phobias actually.

Gnome
20-08-2009, 07:00 PM
yeah, so burn joey.

can i borrow ur cod5 btw? i can't find mine and im sat here crying.

lick
20-08-2009, 07:00 PM
same i panic when i get sick and try and stop it and usually end up choking on it :(

Describe
20-08-2009, 07:01 PM
yes, it does. if you see someone freak out over something when you're younger you'll not know any better and think it's something that's scary and should be avoided, it's not like you can really form your own opinions and it can carry on throughout childhood and when you're old, it's the same with a lot of phobias actually.
Oh, I get it. I didn't understand what he was saying. Right, so, if you give someone a spider and they freak out at a younger age you sorta learn from their fear and adopt the fear yourself? Weird.

Gnome
20-08-2009, 07:02 PM
Oh, I get it. I didn't understand what he was saying. Right, so, if you give someone a spider and they freak out at a younger age you sorta learn from their fear and adopt the fear yourself? Weird.

yes, exactly.

Describe
20-08-2009, 07:04 PM
yes, exactly.
you wouldn't have got that either if it wasn't explained to you. come up and get cod5 if you must.

Gnome
20-08-2009, 07:13 PM
i would, if i had thought about it. I can't be bothered... bring it to school tomorrow?

Caution
20-08-2009, 08:29 PM
At that age (as jen said) you think it's wrong to do that if you're parent acts negatively.

Thanks uuuuuu

The Professor
20-08-2009, 08:48 PM
I kinda freak out at syringes but I don't think its a real phobia, I just reeeealy don't like them

LoveToStack
20-08-2009, 08:55 PM
Spiders but it's not a phobia.
I second whoever said earlier on in this thread that phobias are developed as a child from the way a parent or someone else reacts, typically badly, towards something. In my case I got it from my sister who got it from my mum when a spider crawled into her (my sister's) pram my mum freaked. From then on my sister did the same around them even now as an adult she breaks down in tears on sight even if she just thinks she sees one.
I'm not that bad though but I don't like them all the same.

lick
20-08-2009, 08:59 PM
i cringe at tomato sauce and get freaked out about it

whats that one called

cocaine
20-08-2009, 09:01 PM
waking up during an operation under anaesthesia
and drowning

LoveToStack
20-08-2009, 09:02 PM

whats that one called

Ketchup I think is the official term.

Describe
20-08-2009, 09:05 PM

whats that one called
Saltomaphobia

waking up during an operation under anaesthesia
and drowning
I don't like the thought of drowning but I wouldn't go as far as saying I had a phobia of drowning, I think anybody with a phobia of drowning would be scared to sit in a bath filled with water incase something went wrong.

I don't like spiders neither. I don't know what it is about them but they are so ******* creepy. The way they move slowly and then dart suddenly, ugh, horrible.

IceNineKills
20-08-2009, 09:17 PM
no, i'm not an idiot.

lick
20-08-2009, 09:20 PM
omg yeah drowning i wonder how that works

i would cry if i drowened

and omg Saltomaphobia

Jordy
20-08-2009, 09:34 PM
Odontophobia which is any general fear of dentistry. I'm not actually scared of the dentist, I'm just freaked about by human teeth specifically and feel incredibly uncomfortable if I see them anywhere than in someone's mouth.

And Jellyfish phobia is called exactly that, Jellyfish Phobia. I haven't really gone in the sea much because of this, I'm usually very frightened if I do go out or just stay in the shallow bits. I've never actually been stung which presumably has something to do with my fear of them.

lick
20-08-2009, 09:36 PM
i love teeth (well mine)

Describe
21-08-2009, 05:12 PM
no, i'm not an idiot.
With a post like that I'd have thought you were.

RandomManJay
21-08-2009, 05:21 PM
Insectophobia (fear of insects), Acrophobia (fear of heights) and Claustrophobia (fear of confined spaces).

NIKKEE
22-08-2009, 12:13 AM
My friend's younger brother is petrified of crisps, I mean I thought it was just a joke, but I seen some of his friends once put crisps up to his face, I think they thought it was a joke as well, but he started to cry infront of them, and he was 14! I wonder why he's scared of them!!

ItsDave
22-08-2009, 12:17 AM
Spiders, butterflies and heights. I once was scared of going outside in public, and I'm not kidding here, once I went mental for about 2-3 weeks thinking like, y'know the "Truman Show" with Jim Carrey. I kept repeatedly thinking my life is like that.

ItsDave
22-08-2009, 12:39 AM
Acrophobia- Fear of heights.
Agateophobia- Fear of insanity.
Agliophobia- Fear of pain.
Allodoxaphobia- Fear of opinions.
Enochlophobia- Fear of crowds.
Arachnephobia or Arachnophobia- Fear of spiders.
Herpetophobia- Fear of reptiles or creepy, crawly things.
Insectophobia - Fear of insects.
Mottephobia- Fear of moths
Ochlophobia- Fear of crowds or mobs.
Paraphobia- Fear of sexual perversion.
Scopophobia or Scoptophobia- Fear of being seen or stared at.
Topophobia- Fear of certain places or situations, such as stage fright.
Traumatophobia- Fear of injury
Lepidopterophobia - Fear of moths and or butterflies or bugs like them

Had
Didaskaleinophobia- Fear of going to school.
Agoraphobia- Fear of open spaces or of being in crowded, public places like markets. Fear of leaving a safe place.

Soz for double posting.

2LQ
22-08-2009, 07:44 AM
Dog phobia :) Dog bit my finger when i was 2 or 3 and since then ive been scared of them O.o

MJJ
22-08-2009, 08:19 AM
I have a friend who has a phobia of bananas..

I don't think I have any weird phobias.. I'm scared of spiders and heights.

Jordy
22-08-2009, 10:21 AM
Acrophobia- Fear of heights.
Agateophobia- Fear of insanity.
Agliophobia- Fear of pain.
Allodoxaphobia- Fear of opinions.
Enochlophobia- Fear of crowds.
Arachnephobia or Arachnophobia- Fear of spiders.
Herpetophobia- Fear of reptiles or creepy, crawly things.
Insectophobia - Fear of insects.
Mottephobia- Fear of moths
Ochlophobia- Fear of crowds or mobs.
Paraphobia- Fear of sexual perversion.
Scopophobia or Scoptophobia- Fear of being seen or stared at.
Topophobia- Fear of certain places or situations, such as stage fright.
Traumatophobia- Fear of injury
Lepidopterophobia - Fear of moths and or butterflies or bugs like them

Had
Didaskaleinophobia- Fear of going to school.
Agoraphobia- Fear of open spaces or of being in crowded, public places like markets. Fear of leaving a safe place.

Soz for double posting.Why on Earth would you sign up to a forum if you 'feared' opinions?

GoldenMerc
22-08-2009, 11:09 AM
im scared of heights, and spiders and moths rly

ItsDave
22-08-2009, 06:46 PM
Why on Earth would you sign up to a forum if you 'feared' opinions?

Opinions of my friends, like best friends or family members.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!