PDA

View Full Version : [Film] The Lovely Bones

Neversoft
21-08-2009, 01:24 AM
Peter Jackson's new movie.

Trailer - Apple.com (http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/thelovelybones/) / Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWyNYxGZonI)

Looks absolutely amazing.

'Nuff said.

Inseriousity.
22-08-2009, 09:44 AM
It was a good book so I may watch the movie. :) Looks good!

LuketheDuke
22-08-2009, 11:53 AM
read the book after richard&judy recommended it.

knowing peter jackson he'll stick fairly close to the book but i expect it to be 16 hours long.

Neversoft
22-08-2009, 01:41 PM
From what I'm hearing it's a very good adaptation of the book, and some have even commented that they liked what they did change better than how it was in the book. That's after reading the script though, not after watching the movie.

The movie is going to be 2 hours and 19 minutes long, which is pretty average by todays standard. Peter Jackson can make a good long movie though because he doesn't mess around and waste his time, every second matters.

Fifteen
22-08-2009, 01:44 PM
I read the book last year and really enjoyed it. I really want to see the film! :eusa_danc

Neversoft
26-11-2009, 07:45 PM
The BBFC have rated it 12A.

Empire gave it 4 out of 5 and concluded with "it is doubtful we’ll see a more imaginative, courageous film in 2010."

Total Film also gave it 4 of out 5 and said it was "brimming with not just tears but imagination, thrills and verve."

The Daily Mail disliked it and said "we leave the cinema, not heart-broken. Just glad it's over." However, they seem to have missed the point. The film is more of a suspense thriller than a tragedy.

The Guardian were nitpicking quite a lot, although they did state the film "is handsomely made and strongly acted".

The films word premiere was in London last tuesday, but it isn't released publicly in the UK until January 29th.

Black_Apalachi
26-11-2009, 08:04 PM
Sounds interesting. Telling me it's Peter Jackson and it's very long, just makes it more exciting!

Neversoft
26-11-2009, 08:08 PM
It isn't very long. It's running time is 2 hours and 19 minutes.

Sammeth.
26-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Peter Jackson is very good at pacing his films, and I have to admit this does look really good. I have been needing a good book to read, and I've never read The Lovely Bones, however after seeing this, I'll probably go out and buy it this week. I really want to see this film, but I'm a big believer in reading the source before the adaption, so I'm gonna have to get my hands on it.

Black_Apalachi
26-11-2009, 08:09 PM
I know. But,

read the book after richard&judy recommended it.

knowing peter jackson he'll stick fairly close to the book but i expect it to be 16 hours long.

Fifteen
23-12-2009, 08:04 PM
It was advertised before Avatar today, oh my, it looks immense! Massive fan of the book, so excited about seeing it.

Gemma
26-12-2009, 05:32 AM
It looks quite good, may go see it. Haven't read the book, might go get it actually.

Neversoft
28-12-2009, 06:09 PM
It was advertised before Avatar today, oh my, it looks immense! Massive fan of the book, so excited about seeing it.

I saw the trailer before Avatar as well but noticed it was cut. They didn't show the extreme close-ups of Mr. Harvey as he is running up the stairs. Perhaps that reveals too much of the story but it was the best part of the trailer. :(

Also, for anyone expecting a kind of tragedy movie you're going to be very disappointed like many reviewers, its more of a thriller. In an interview with Total Film Peter Jackson said "I knew what I didn't want the movie to be - depressing." He went for a more exciting approach with a topic that is perhaps a little too dark and mature, but I'm interested in what the outcome will be.

clueless
01-01-2010, 04:32 PM
looking foward to it
i read the book years ago and loved it

Neversoft
10-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Woah, the score on IMDb is pretty poor. I hope Sir Peter Jackson doesn't disappoint me.

Nicola
10-01-2010, 01:55 PM
My friend recommended me the book quite a while ago but I never read it. It does look good though so I think I'll go and see it sometime.

Haaaaarry1
10-01-2010, 01:58 PM
Ohh the books really good, I read it after I saw the trailer, it looks great

Misawa
10-01-2010, 03:57 PM
Woah, the score on IMDb is pretty poor. I hope Sir Peter Jackson doesn't disappoint me.

A friend of mine, director of Wrong Turn 2, is a massive Jackson fan and he came out of it saying he was gutted because apparently it is extremely boring.

Neversoft
10-01-2010, 04:19 PM
I heard its a bit CGI heavy and the performances of the actors were wasted. Still, I'm looking forward to it and will continue to do so.

superstar911
10-01-2010, 04:48 PM
It's an incredible movie, bloody fantastic, especially the directing. I seriously recommend it :D. The 'inbetween' is heavily CGI, but I have no issue with CGI so it didn't bother me lol.

Hiro
10-01-2010, 04:53 PM
I enjoyed the movie, but it went on for too long. I can't really put my thoughts down because I can't remember it all that well, probably because it didn't intrigue me.
I think I rated it 4/5 stars on Flixster though..

Neversoft
10-01-2010, 04:55 PM
How have you guys already seen it? I thought it wasn't out until the end of the month.

superstar911
10-01-2010, 04:58 PM
How have you guys already seen it? I thought it wasn't out until the end of the month.

I downloaded a copy that one of the Oscar voters leaked online so it was DVD quality ;).

Hiro
10-01-2010, 04:58 PM

The copies that were sent out to be considered for awards.

Neversoft
10-01-2010, 05:02 PM
Ah, forget that then. I'd rather wait and see it on the big screen. :P

Misawa
15-01-2010, 02:54 PM
Roger Ebert gave it 1.5/4.

hah
15-01-2010, 03:34 PM
whats in the trailer is probs the most action parts lol

But yeah i loved it.. abit long and dragged out tho

the killer/peado gave me chills irl

Neversoft
19-01-2010, 08:53 PM
Was just checking The Lovely Bones on IMDb and it says the film is released today (19th). The Cineworld website also says the same date, even though it isn't listed as being shown in any cinemas. Whats going on with the release date...

Calzeh
27-01-2010, 09:19 PM
I will go on a killing spree if the film doesn't keep up to the standards and storyline of the book. I'm not sure I can even bear to watch it, after some of the recent book-to-film disasters. Argh.

I do hope it's good though. A lot could be done with the story and I hope they've done it justice.

Neversoft
27-01-2010, 09:28 PM
Was just checking The Lovely Bones on IMDb and it says the film is released today (19th). The Cineworld website also says the same date, even though it isn't listed as being shown in any cinemas. Whats going on with the release date...

Whoops, seems I was a little excited and read it wrong. February, not January. Nevertheless, another delay!? :@

I will go on a killing spree if the film doesn't keep up to the standards and storyline of the book. I'm not sure I can even bear to watch it, after some of the recent book-to-film disasters. Argh.

I do hope it's good though. A lot could be done with the story and I hope they've done it justice.

I'm afraid you might be a little disappointed. :P I don't know how big the rape factor is in the book, but apparently it is barely mentioned in the movie. I also don't know how harrowing the book may be, but PJ purposely didn't want to make the movie too depressing. However, a lot of people seem to be praising the script. Most just seem disappointed with how the film was directed.

Callum.
29-01-2010, 10:16 PM
Whoops, seems I was a little excited and read it wrong. February, not January. Nevertheless, another delay!? :@

I'm afraid you might be a little disappointed. :P I don't know how big the rape factor is in the book, but apparently it is barely mentioned in the movie. I also don't know how harrowing the book may be, but PJ purposely didn't want to make the movie too depressing. However, a lot of people seem to be praising the script. Most just seem disappointed with how the film was directed.

Probably because they're all psychological now, protection of child actors and that. Read somewhere they were wary of the role and what it potentially included from the book.

Neversoft
24-02-2010, 10:25 PM
So it's been out in the UK for a couple of days now... thoughts? I'm going to see it tomorrow.

Sammeth.
25-02-2010, 12:09 AM
Its quite like the book to start out with, but obviously theres quite a lot of detail in the book, and I think its hard to put that on screen. Its a very unique outlook. Towards the middle to end it gets very variable, and they gave it a bit of a typical ending. Tucci earned his Oscar nomination though, an eerily believable performance. I did enjoy it, its quite haunting, but I enjoyed the book more and I think the book had more of a lasting effect. I think that can be said about many book to screen adaptions.

Neversoft
26-02-2010, 10:07 PM
I acknowledge the films flaws and understand what people are getting at when they say its a little rough around the edges, but after the film ended I honestly didn't care. I was so satisfied. I didn't think the film was CGI heavy and it was hardly driven by CGI; the best scenes were the ones without it. Rachel Weisz and Susan Sarandon were obviously underused, but I thought all of the other characters were great. Mark Wahlberg didn't seem out of place, he was a great fatherly character and Stanley Tucci and Saoirse Ronan were both flippin' awesome. The scene inside Mr. Harvey's house was the most suspense I've felt in a long time and while the pacing was maybe a little off at some points, the story was extremely gripping. I can safely say I was moved. Thank you Sir Peter Jackson.

Glitter
26-02-2010, 10:13 PM
In my opinion the film was terrible compared to the book. It missed loads of important things out like the sam & lyndsay relationship and the ruth and ray thing, and the dads heart attack, and the events were in jumbled order... like the mum left after the dad got attacked?!

If I didn't read the book i also don't think some of the film made a lot of sense. & things that should've had deeper meaning were not aknowledged in the film.

Neversoft
26-02-2010, 10:17 PM
Sorry but the film has to end sometime.

Richie
16-03-2010, 06:27 AM
Sorry for late post but I seen this film a week or two ago and I was amazed, it has to be one of the best films imagination wise. At parts I was a little confused but I got it all in the end.

8/10

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!