PDA

View Full Version : Small thin green line down middle of laptop screen?

Special
22-08-2009, 09:47 PM
Just today i have recently discovered a small green thin vertical line down the middle of the laptop screen and its extremly annoying.

I restarted my laptop but it didnt go away.

If i fiddle with the screen position, it goes away, however only on the slighest position (really hard to get rid of)

I just wondered if anyone could help me or tell me what is and how to fix it.

Any help is greatly apreciated and all help with get +Rep

(exuse me for bad spelling i really cant be bothered and im annoyed)

Yoshimitsui
22-08-2009, 09:52 PM
The most likely cause it that it is damaged and the crystals in the screen will tend to create several more as it gets worse. Meaning to screen is no use and will need replacing.

Special
22-08-2009, 09:53 PM
The most likely cause it that it is damaged and the crystals in the screen will tend to create several more as it gets worse. Meaning to screen is no use and will need replacing.

:l :l :l :l :l

Is that expensive?

Yoshimitsui
22-08-2009, 09:55 PM
I have done it a few times with various screens from shooting one with a BB gun to whacking another (both by accident) and they are very expensive to replace.

Special
22-08-2009, 09:56 PM
I have done it a few times with various screens from shooting one with a BB gun to whacking another (both by accident) and they are very expensive to replace.

*Removed*

Edited by Catzsy [Forum Super Moderator]: Please do not make pointless posts or avoid the filter.

Hitman
22-08-2009, 10:03 PM
Happened to my laptop. Then about a fifth of the screen went. Then more went, and the pixels changed colour. Now half of it is gone, totally black, occasionally changing colour.

Special
22-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Happened to my laptop. Then about a fifth of the screen went. Then more went, and the pixels changed colour. Now half of it is gone, totally black, occasionally changing colour.

umm, are you not going to get it fixed? luckly we have a computer

Hitman
22-08-2009, 10:08 PM
umm, are you not going to get it fixed? luckly we have a computer
Nah, the laptop is old and outdated now - 800mb RAM, 1.6Ghz processor. I have a desktop computer now, 4GB RAM and 2.33Ghz processor, so no point. My brother uses the laptop, he connects it to an old CRT monitor to use it.

Special
22-08-2009, 10:12 PM
my laptop is only 8 months old and have had problems before.

if it has insurance on it, could i claim (my mum bought so she knows if it has or not and shes out atm)

Hitman
22-08-2009, 10:14 PM
my laptop is only 8 months old and have had problems before.

if it has insurance on it, could i claim (my mum bought so she knows if it has or not and shes out atm)
Should still be covered by the warranty. Most computers/laptops get 1 years warranty by default.

Yoshimitsui
22-08-2009, 10:19 PM
Depends how it broke, they are really strict on screen damage under warranty, you will have to hope they believe it just broke.

Special
22-08-2009, 10:23 PM
Depends how it broke, they are really strict on screen damage under warranty, you will have to hope they believe it just broke.

They should understand... how could i cause this kind of damage if i was out to scam them :S

Recursion
22-08-2009, 10:24 PM
They may do it, is it still under warranty? You could say the screen got really hot and then the line appeared... obviously saying you didn't do anything.

Special
22-08-2009, 10:28 PM
They may do it, is it still under warranty? You could say the screen got really hot and then the line appeared... obviously saying you didn't do anything.

Not sure if it is or not, my mums out.

And im going to say i didnt do anything cause i didnt, ill say it overheated? :S

Hitman
22-08-2009, 10:51 PM
Not sure if it is or not, my mums out.

And im going to say i didnt do anything cause i didnt, ill say it overheated? :S
Don't even say it overheated, just say one day it appeared... some of these computer companies can be strict, I wouldn't be surprised if they turned around and said it's your own fault for making it overheat.

Jam
23-08-2009, 01:38 AM
Is it not dead/stuck pixels? I had that on a old monitor a few weeks ago, viewed a video on YT that helps them and within a minute it was gone.

Dentafrice
23-08-2009, 02:04 AM
It might be screen burn, do you ever leave it on something that has a green line down it all the time?

I got screen burn on my LCD screen from the Mac login screen.. made a line where the shadow was.

I left the monitor off for a few days, and it cleared up.

The next time it happened, I googled 'Screen Burn' and found some way to fix it.

VirtualG
23-08-2009, 06:17 AM
If it's not covered by warranty (which it will be in the uk and Australia by default for at least 12 months because it has to pass "government checks" for standards) it may be covered by insurance, depending on what you insurance covers and what plan it is. It may only pay for half the screen or if the screen stops working completely.

Special
23-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the replys guys

I took it to the laptop doctors and they sai it was dead pixels and indeed it was going to get worse.

Is going to cost me about £45, so not that bad?

Thanks again

Recursion
23-08-2009, 12:09 PM
£45 isn't too bad, they wanted something like £110 to fix my mobile phone LCD :/

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!