PDA

View Full Version : Personal moderation

Immenseman
24-08-2009, 09:12 PM
Although I think many aspects of the moderation are poor and I often highlight this in posts I create thus I decided it's only fair I highlight the parts that I think are very successful.

When you PM a S.MOD you get a reply and they are happy to explain things to you in a personal manner rather than in a robot quoting the rules sort of reply which I've grown accustomed to using other forums. They are more than happy to take time out and point things out to you as a person, rather than a child.

This creates a much better atmosphere and is much better than moderation departments of the past. So well done for that :)

leah
24-08-2009, 09:16 PM
Yeah, i've found that Catzsy in particular often replies to PMs and offers help whenever she can.

Immenseman
24-08-2009, 09:18 PM
Yeah, that's her style, very community based. Isn't there an AGM community role free?! :lol: :P

leah
24-08-2009, 09:21 PM
Yeah and she'd be brilliant at it, she's one of the few generally nice and friendly members on the forum! :)
Well done to all mods btw :P their work is quite hard and it isn't always appreciated.

Immenseman
24-08-2009, 09:22 PM
I don't think it always should be appreciated because some of the time their work could do with a lot of improvement - although I think some rules need clarifying by Forum/General Management rather than the moderators themselves.

Chippiewill
24-08-2009, 09:23 PM
Yeah, that's her style, very community based. Isn't there an AGM community role free?! :lol: :P

Catzsy probably already has it and it is just being formalised...

leah
I guess some rules are misunderstood which leads to moderator error, so it would be nice for them to be more clear so less error is inflicted.

Inseriousity.
I'm an angel :eusa_whis so have never experienced this but hooray for moderation. :)

Immenseman
24-08-2009, 09:25 PM
Catzsy probably already has it and it is just being formalised...
Maybe, we'll have to wait and see. I sure hope a few managers don't get the role because some managers aren't even all that great at what they do at the moment.

I guess some rules are misunderstood which leads to moderator error, so it would be nice for them to be more clear so less error is inflicted.
Yeah, could do with a revamp.

Leighanne.
24-08-2009, 09:30 PM
That's why i like this forum. I've been on a few forums before and the staff are so stuck-up they don't reply to a pm unless it's an emergency (and in that case it still takes a few days)

xxMATTGxx
24-08-2009, 10:04 PM
I looked at this title and thought "Oh god" but I was quite shocked when I read the first post. Thanks for the kind words for the department Jake and everyone else for that matter. :)

Immenseman
24-08-2009, 10:07 PM
I'm sure I'll create a thread one day with a more negative spin as and when I can be bothered :P

-WooTWooTWooT-
24-08-2009, 10:25 PM
ah,there was me thinking this thread was about the moderation team watching certain members.

GommeInc
24-08-2009, 10:48 PM
I hate it when they play the robot game :/ I haven't been contacted recently, so wouldn't know, but it hardly takes anytime to point out the rule in a person manner. Being told "You broke 'x' rule at 'x' day at 'x' time annoys the crap out of me :P It used to be similar to that at one point, years ago.

Catzsy
24-08-2009, 10:49 PM
ah,there was me thinking this thread was about the moderation team watching certain members.

Well maybe you should make one :P

It is a nice change to see a thread like this and thanks :)

Black_Apalachi
24-08-2009, 11:18 PM
Nicely gettin back in the good books there, smooooth Jake ;).

Catzsy
24-08-2009, 11:28 PM
Nicely gettin back in the good books there, smooooth Jake ;).

I don't actually think its a matter of that - his post seemed sincere to me and he is not saying everything is okay. He is saying what he thinks. I agree to disagree with him on some things but I appreciate this thread.
Another example of getting in good books could be:

Originally Posted by nvrspk4
[...] PS: The bloody box tool and copy and paste on paint would have saved you so much heartache.

Originally posted by Robald Lol +rep .

I am sure it's not though.;)

Black_Apalachi
25-08-2009, 12:17 AM
I don't actually think its a matter of that - his post seemed sincere to me and he is not saying everything is okay. He is saying what he thinks. I agree to disagree with him on some things but I appreciate this thread.
Another example of getting in good books could be:

I am sure it's not though.;)

I'm 1 million % sure Jake knew I was joking. Obviously I agree this is a very pleasant thread :).

As for your example, I rarely ever think of repping staff (especially management) so now and again I try to if it's appropriate.

Besides, I didn't know I was in the bad books?! :O :'(

Catzsy
25-08-2009, 01:12 AM
I'm 1 million % sure Jake knew I was joking. Obviously I agree this is a very pleasant thread :).

As for your example, I rarely ever think of repping staff (especially management) so now and again I try to if it's appropriate.

Besides, I didn't know I was in the bad books?! :O :'(

I don't think Jake is either.:S:O

Black_Apalachi
25-08-2009, 05:42 AM
Hasn't he got a million infractions and was cautioned the other day and stuff? :rolleyes:

xxMATTGxx
25-08-2009, 08:14 AM
Hasn't he got a million infractions and was cautioned the other day and stuff? :rolleyes:

How does that make him into peoples bad books? He would of just got punished like any other member would of if they broke the rules.

Black_Apalachi
25-08-2009, 09:28 AM
Oh my God I was joking. I wasn't even talking to either of you :eusa_wall.

xxMATTGxx
25-08-2009, 09:56 AM

Oh, I didn't know this was a private chat. :( -walks out-

nvrspk4
25-08-2009, 10:04 AM
I hate it when they play the robot game :/ I haven't been contacted recently, so wouldn't know, but it hardly takes anytime to point out the rule in a person manner. Being told "You broke 'x' rule at 'x' day at 'x' time annoys the crap out of me :P It used to be similar to that at one point, years ago.

To be fair I think the reason that happened was some were complaining about bias in moderation where people were nicer in edits to "friends" than they were in edits to "enemies."

In all honesty it was total bull but the then-management chose to respond to it with a totally understandable lets standardize edits. I think it should have been eaten by a JackHB/Seacat approach of "suck it up". However I think if I tried that strategy at this point in HxF history it wouldn't go over at all, so I only use the JackHB way in limited doses :P

And I agree, the moderators are never given enough credit for the work they do nor the abuse they endure, always good to see them getting praised for their efforts :)

Catzsy
25-08-2009, 03:14 PM

Well infractions doesn't = bad books to us. Its just means moderation. Lots of members with rule breaks are very popular and likeable.
You seem to do quite a lot of 'joking' but fair enough even if it is a public thread.

To be fair I think the reason that happened was some were complaining about bias in moderation where people were nicer in edits to "friends" than they were in edits to "enemies."

In all honesty it was total bull but the then-management chose to respond to it with a totally understandable lets standardize edits. I think it should have been eaten by a JackHB/Seacat approach of "suck it up". However I think if I tried that strategy at this point in HxF history it wouldn't go over at all, so I only use the JackHB way in limited doses :P

And I agree, the moderators are never given enough credit for the work they do nor the abuse they endure, always good to see them getting praised for their efforts :)

Thanks for this and it isn't always abuse from the members! :P;)

Cixso
25-08-2009, 03:32 PM
Yeah, i've found that Catzsy in particular often replies to PMs and offers help whenever she can.

Most of my infractions are from Catzsy but they are fair and when I question them she'll reply in a friendly manner. I've had my rants with her but she knows what she is doing, shame we don't have more people as such.

Worst moderater for that was Slowpoke by far.

The Professor
25-08-2009, 04:12 PM
Most of my infractions are from Catzsy but they are fair and when I question them she'll reply in a friendly manner. I've had my rants with her but she knows what she is doing, shame we don't have more people as such.

Worst moderater for that was Slowpoke by far.

Oh come on... there was Coldplay too :P

Gawd I'm so cruel :(

le harry
25-08-2009, 04:19 PM
Slowpoke was alright the second time around. Dismal the first haha. Words cannot describe how shocking Coldplay was however.

Cixso
25-08-2009, 05:25 PM
I missed this coldplay era, what happened?

Jamesy
25-08-2009, 05:28 PM
I missed this coldplay era, what happened?

hmm I vaguely remember a lot of fuss but the specifics are beyond me.

I think in PM's i'm a little bit blunt and to the point on occasion. :eusa_whis

Japan
25-08-2009, 05:44 PM
I think its really nice that someone made a thread for the mods, they're not perfect but it's a hard job and they deserve some praise every now and again.

Immenseman
25-08-2009, 06:07 PM
then coldplay went and got his... lol mhm.

anyways, most of mine are from catzsy too but to me that's just a result of her being first at the scene and thorough in her job rather than anything else.

i agree that moderators need a thread like this every now and again but that doesn't mean the criticism is unfair and unjust because a lot of the time it's more than justified.

Black_Apalachi
27-08-2009, 04:04 AM
Oh, I didn't know this was a private chat. :( -walks out-

Well infractions doesn't = bad books to us. Its just means moderation. Lots of members with rule breaks are very popular and likeable.
You seem to do quite a lot of 'joking' but fair enough even if it is a public thread. [...]

You know I didn't mean that Matt :P. I meant why would you care so much when it was clearly a joke (well I though that was obvious) and it wasn't even aimed at you. Catzsy I know, you both took this wayyy too seriously. I don't know what you mean about 'joking' in that sense though. o.O

Catzsy
27-08-2009, 09:15 AM

You know I didn't mean that Matt :P. I meant why would you care so much when it was clearly a joke (well I though that was obvious) and it wasn't even aimed at you. Catzsy I know, you both took this wayyy too seriously. I don't know what you mean about 'joking' in that sense though. o.O

1. How could any member tell you were joking in the first or second quote?

2. I have never seen anybody before basically tell others, and this was the Forum Manager to 'butt out' of a public thread.

3. Yes we take comments seriously when it looks like another member has been targetted negatively - that's our job although it could be an unfortunate choice of emoticons on your part though which might be worth thinking about. :P

Black_Apalachi
27-08-2009, 09:52 AM
1. How could any member tell you were joking in the first or second quote?

2. I have never seen anybody before basically tell others, and this was the Forum Manager to 'butt out' of a public thread.

3. Yes we take comments seriously when it looks like another member has been targetted negatively - that's our job although it could be an unfortunate choice of emoticons on your part though which might be worth thinking about. :P

Oh dear. Right, my first post was the joke (which you've succeeded in destroying). The next post was something to back the original joke up with - (Jake's always going on about how much he's been infracted and how close he is to a ban) - still, without actually being serious as it's not like I'm complaining about him is it? (I do not actually believe there exists a "bad book" btw, just to clarify :rolleyes:). I thought the emoticon would be the key thing to tell other users it was a joke - the fact an emoticon was used at all suggests that. I can't think how an emoticon could have been used to make that a serious post anyway. When I said 'I wasn't even talking to either of you :eusa_wall', it was intended to mean something like, 'I wasn't even talking to either of you, so why are you complaining about it? - the person it was "aimed" at isn't even complaining' not, 'I wasn't even talking to either of you so do not respond'.

The fact I've just has to explain all that is embarrassing because I know you're intelligent enough to work it out. And nobody was being "targeted" - except maybe me; by all the super mods ganging up on me over a joke, whom the thread starter will have understood, and going widley off-topic in the process. 'Gratz :eusa_clap. (< that's sarcasm, before I have to explain it in three posts time).

Speaking of the thread-topic, I already stated that I agree with it, but it's instances like this that somewhat contradict it. Rather ironic one should occur in such a thread :P.

Catzsy
27-08-2009, 11:38 AM
Oh dear. Right, my first post was the joke (which you've succeeded in destroying). The next post was something to back the original joke up with - (Jake's always going on about how much he's been infracted and how close he is to a ban) - still, without actually being serious as it's not like I'm complaining about him is it? (I do not actually believe there exists a "bad book" btw, just to clarify :rolleyes:). I thought the emoticon would be the key thing to tell other users it was a joke - the fact an emoticon was used at all suggests that. I can't think how an emoticon could have been used to make that a serious post anyway. When I said 'I wasn't even talking to either of you :eusa_wall', it was intended to mean something like, 'I wasn't even talking to either of you, so why are you complaining about it? - the person it was "aimed" at isn't even complaining' not, 'I wasn't even talking to either of you so do not respond'.
The fact I've just has to explain all that is embarrassing because I know you're intelligent enough to work it out. And nobody was being "targeted" - except maybe me; by all the super mods ganging up on me over a joke, whom the thread starter will have understood, and going widley off-topic in the process. 'Gratz :eusa_clap. (< that's sarcasm, before I have to explain it in three posts time).

Speaking of the thread-topic, I already stated that I agree with it, but it's instances like this that somewhat contradict it. Rather ironic one should occur in such a thread :P.

Oh well all explained then. I don't actually think all the Smods have posted. The subject was personal moderation- you replied 'targetting a member' whether joking or not and we responded which is on-topic as it is to do with moderation in one form or another and it's our job. It's the first time I have ever used this emoticon on this forum.:rolleyes:

Immenseman
27-08-2009, 02:56 PM
WHY RUIN MY POSITIVE THREAD N00BS

Catzsy
27-08-2009, 03:12 PM
WHY RUIN MY POSITIVE THREAD N00BS

Sorry, Jake :(

e5
27-08-2009, 03:22 PM
yh i like that :)

Black_Apalachi
27-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Yeah sorry Jake - thanks for moderating me Catzsy! ^_^

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!