PDA

View Full Version : On a mission to reduce CPU temp

hamheyelliot
28-08-2009, 03:05 PM
Well the sound from my custom build is getting out of hand, and the CPU temp is shooting up past 75 oC, which means the fan is going ten to the dozen at well over 3000 RPM.

Mainly my fault, as I've taken off the thermal grease and it's probably really dusty in some places I can't spot, so I've got a plan of action.

First some compressed air to get the dust out of the fan grill: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Compressed-Air-Duster-400ml-Can-Removes-Dust-Easily_W0QQitemZ310135496966QQcmdZViewItem

Then buying some Arctic Silver, easily the best thermal paste on the market: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Arctic-Silver-3-5g-Thermal-Paste/dp/B0002VFXFE

Next, a Case Fan because I haven't got one and that's just ignorant, haven't decided though: http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=en&safe=off&q=Case%20Fans&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wf

I hope it's gonna work because everyone who comes into within a mile can probably hear this screech, I've had it for 2 and a half years and I need a few other upgrades too it seems; and I can't quite believe how I'm still stuck with a Celeron CPU..

Any other advice, or solutions? Appreciated to the tune of +rep.

N!ck
28-08-2009, 03:12 PM
Why did you remove the thermal grease and not reapply? That's just stupid.

Why is there no case fan? All cases generally come with at least one fan. That's another prett stupid thing.

Have you thought about another cooler than the stock? It will give better cooling and be quieter. What CPU is it?

hamheyelliot
28-08-2009, 03:16 PM
Why did you remove the thermal grease and not reapply? That's just stupid.
True, at the time I had no idea what it was to be honest. At least I'm replacing it soon enough.

Why is there no case fan? All cases generally come with at least one fan. That's another prett stupid thing.
I must mention I didn't actually build it myself, and I wondered why it never came with one. Still, fitting one now so happy days.

Have you thought about another cooler than the stock? It will give better cooling and be quieter. What CPU is it?
Haha, Intel Celeron (yes, shameful) running at 2.53 GHz.
The stock cooler looks like a weak little thing, I'll try and take a pic if I can. I probably should look into something else.

Recursion
28-08-2009, 04:04 PM
Right, get some Arctic Silver 5 or MX-2 Thermal paste, this will drop your temperatures by at least 5 - 10 degrees. Then get a couple of case fans in there with an exhaust out the back and intake at the front, then get a better CPU cooler.

hamheyelliot
28-08-2009, 04:12 PM
Right, get some Arctic Silver 5 or MX-2 Thermal paste, this will drop your temperatures by at least 5 - 10 degrees. Then get a couple of case fans in there with an exhaust out the back and intake at the front, then get a better CPU cooler.
Thanks for the help, I'm going with Arctic Silver. I'm not too sure how many case fans I can install, but I can only see one clear fitting. +Rep.

Raising some funding from selling my netbook now, I'm going to see if I can afford a bit of a RAM upgrade too.

N!ck
28-08-2009, 04:58 PM
Well considering there's no thermal grease on there anyway it's gonna reduce by like 20 degrees lol.

hamheyelliot
28-08-2009, 05:34 PM
Well considering there's no thermal grease on there anyway it's gonna reduce by like 20 degrees lol.
Some of the grease is still there, it's just not coating the entire surface. I didn't exactly take all of it off, I just thought it was build up or something :P

I've decided to change the stock fan too, as the one on it is clearly useless.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!