PDA

View Full Version : Selling Acer Aspire One Netbook (8GB SSD - 1.5GB RAM)

hamheyelliot
28-08-2009, 04:00 PM
Hey there, basically I'm seriously loathing eBay and their ridiculous ways so I thought I would post in case anyone is interested.

It's a white Acer Aspire One, and whilst it has an 8GB SSD, I've upgraded the memory from 512MB to 1.5GB; so it's not exactly a horse and cart anymore...

It's been around since February, and I've stopped using it completely now I've got a half decent Desktop upstairs, so I'm just getting rid of it really.

The only defect is a scratch on the right side of the screen, which is unnoticable, especially during use, and it has a bit of mild wear on the top when you look very closely.

It also has one of those annoying rubber feet missing from the bottom, but it's no real issue and there's no compromise when it's rested down somewhere.

It performs well and I've enjoyed a few months using it, I'm just happy with a Desktop now.

I'll install any Linux build, or you can have the default Linpus Linux you get with them. Alternatively I can install XP Home with all of the drivers.

I'll strongly consider all offers, there's no real range as I'm just desperate to get rid of it now and don't exactly want it to gather dust.

Pictures in the below spoiler, served by Jack's lovely uploader.

http://instant-upload.com/uploaded/2808206.jpgThe netbook when closed, lovely in a polar white ;D
http://instant-upload.com/uploaded/28085607.jpgOpened and switched on.
http://instant-upload.com/uploaded/28081448.jpgA screen view.
http://instant-upload.com/uploaded/28084612.jpgA keyboard/trackpad view.
http://instant-upload.com/uploaded/28082686.jpgA bottom view.

Please PM me if you have any more questions or otherwise any interest.

Thanks for reading :)

Thread moved by iAdam (Forum Moderator); From 'Web Market'.

maiden2k7
28-08-2009, 04:25 PM
Depending on its price in shops ill offer £100 for it :)

BoyBetterKnow
28-08-2009, 04:32 PM
Good choice of uploader.

Elliot is trusted :) Good luck selling.

hamheyelliot
28-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Depending on its price in shops ill offer £100 for it :)
Well a powerseller on eBay is trying to sell a severely damaged one for spares at £100, so I'm confident you're onto a winner ;P

Thanks a lot for your offer, I'm considering it and have sent you a PM for confirmation :)

Good choice of uploader.

Elliot is trusted :) Good luck selling.
Certainly is, thanks a lot :)

IDontKnow
28-08-2009, 04:57 PM
Get on MSN or re-add me, w.e. - I'm interested :)

syko2006
28-08-2009, 05:00 PM
My AAO has lost 2 of them annoying little feet, mine's a 1GB Ram 120GB HDD version and they are wicked, I'm running Windows 7 on mine and it's fine.
Great laptops! :D

hamheyelliot
28-08-2009, 05:04 PM
Get on MSN or re-add me, w.e. - I'm interested :)
Thanks, I'll get on MSN just now.

My AAO has lost 2 of them annoying little feet, mine's a 1GB Ram 120GB HDD version and they are wicked, I'm running Windows 7 on mine and it's fine.
Great laptops! :D
Haha, they are nifty little things. Takes at least 8 hours to compact and install 7 on one though :P

hamheyelliot
28-08-2009, 05:43 PM
I have a pending offer from Jason for £105 at this moment in time :)

syko2006
28-08-2009, 07:53 PM
Thanks, I'll get on MSN just now.

Haha, they are nifty little things. Takes at least 8 hours to compact and install 7 on one though :P

Where the hell did you get that from?!?!? :S

Takes 20 minutes! It recognises it's a netbook and installs like a dream! Aero works fine too.

It might be quicker for me (7 hours and 40 minutes quicker) because mine has a bigger hardrive and more ram than the solid state one, I don't know, but either way it takes 20 minutes, half hour maximum. :D

Lycan
28-08-2009, 07:57 PM
Where the hell did you get that from?!?!? :S

Takes 20 minutes! It recognises it's a netbook and installs like a dream! Aero works fine too.

It might be quicker for me (7 hours and 40 minutes quicker) because mine has a bigger hardrive and more ram than the solid state one, I don't know, but either way it takes 20 minutes, half hour maximum. :D

I've had Vista installed on Acer Aspire One (SSD version) didn't take too long. Pointless beyond belief SSDs a nice idea but tested it against several other netbooks and found it didn't last as long as was slower to boot / wake up. - Luckily i didn't buy it and was given to me to test by work! nice to see that i could sell it for around £100 though!

hamheyelliot
28-08-2009, 07:57 PM
Precisely, a Windows 7 installation is a bit higher than 8GB so you have to run the 'compact' command before installing properly. XP is a good all-rounder on it really.

LOLROB
28-08-2009, 10:40 PM
Put It on eBay I be interested then

hamheyelliot
28-08-2009, 10:49 PM
Sorry, like I mentioned, I absolutely hate eBay right now. I can assure you the service and safety of the transaction will be as sound as eBay standards. Not to mention you'd most likely save a bundle compared to eBay.

Galactica
29-08-2009, 12:04 AM
£110 :)

x

hamheyelliot
29-08-2009, 01:11 AM
Thanks, I've sent you a PM for some confirmations.

Seems like the offer stands at £110 currently :)

GoldenMerc
29-08-2009, 11:01 AM
Im interested but how would we do this if i won the "auction"?

hamheyelliot
29-08-2009, 12:36 PM
You would pay by PayPal as usual, and you'd be covered with the usual options to protect you (not that I'm a rogue seller). I then send out First Class Recorded so I know when it has safely arrived.

GoldenMerc
29-08-2009, 05:04 PM
Nah, that doesnt sound safe in my eyes at all. seeing as im way more known and trusted for doing trades on this forum, id be happy to do half and half but not me paying full, also with paypal your barely covered. i could pay the full price then u send me a brick in some postage thing and then u would win the dispute due to giving the first class thing.
So merely we arnt covered in the slightest.

hamheyelliot
29-08-2009, 05:14 PM
Nah, that doesnt sound safe in my eyes at all. seeing as im way more known and trusted for doing trades on this forum, id be happy to do half and half but not me paying full, also with paypal your barely covered. i could pay the full price then u send me a brick in some postage thing and then u would win the dispute due to giving the first class thing.
So merely we arnt covered in the slightest.
I wouldn't dispute your trustworthiness at all, I haven't been brought up to sell people bricks ;P

If you have a method of transaction that would suit you better, I would be glad to oblige :)

No-one could win a dispute because they provided Recorded postage, it simply protects the seller from the buyer stating they never recieved the item, which is why they must sign so the seller knows it has arrived.

Could I ask if you have a particular offer?

GoldenMerc
30-08-2009, 01:14 AM
I wouldn't dispute your trustworthiness at all, I haven't been brought up to sell people bricks ;P

If you have a method of transaction that would suit you better, I would be glad to oblige :)

No-one could win a dispute because they provided Recorded postage, it simply protects the seller from the buyer stating they never recieved the item, which is why they must sign so the seller knows it has arrived.

Could I ask if you have a particular offer?
That's a decent offer, im not saying your a scammer in the slightest, i dont know you so i cant judge you, I'm just simply saying as i said before i dont know you, so for all i know you could use a brick or what not ;)
To the offer part, i'd love to offer but i need to sort my money out and everything at the moment then i imagine i will offer, Does it have a fan in it?
Ross

hamheyelliot
30-08-2009, 01:38 AM
That's a decent offer, im not saying your a scammer in the slightest, i dont know you so i cant judge you, I'm just simply saying as i said before i dont know you, so for all i know you could use a brick or what not ;)
To the offer part, i'd love to offer but i need to sort my money out and everything at the moment then i imagine i will offer, Does it have a fan in it?
Ross

Thanks, take some time but be aware I couldn't hang on all that much longer.

I don't believe the netbook has a fan within it's casing, as the Atom processor doesn't produce an awful lot of heat, but some of the warm air that does flows out via a small exhaust space to the side of the netbook.

GoldenMerc
30-08-2009, 12:02 PM
Ye, i understand if you need to sell it. How long can the netbook stay on? as in battery? does it overheat at all without a fan?

hamheyelliot
30-08-2009, 12:36 PM
Ye, i understand if you need to sell it. How long can the netbook stay on? as in battery? does it overheat at all without a fan?
The netbook has its factory 3 cell battery which lasts at least 3 hours using Linux, on XP that time is a little bit shorter.

The netbook doesn't overheat at all, there's only a small mobile processor, and I haven't particularly checked whether there's a small fan, but heat shouldn't be a problem.

I believe I might be taking up any highest offer by the end of Monday evening, possibly Tuesday if you need a little more time.

hamheyelliot
01-09-2009, 04:17 PM
Just a note: Letting it go this evening to my current offer unless anyone wishes to offer above £110.

StefanWolves
03-09-2009, 09:32 AM
Just a note: Letting it go this evening to my current offer unless anyone wishes to offer above £110.

These are similar to the EEE PCs 901s and MSI Winds U100s, rite? just with a SSD instead?

I have the N280 atom processor in mine (ASUS EEE 1005HA), and to anyone worried that it will over heat then, don't worry, it's an awesome processor and won't over heat at all ~ and yes, it should have a fan in their, I don't see how it couldn't, all laptops - even mine has a fan and it's the same size as yours.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!