PDA

View Full Version : Laptop help

awelsh
29-08-2009, 10:01 AM
Well right, my laptop messed up so I went to re install windows.

I insert the XP disk and it displays something like "Windows XP could not install due to a hard drive not being plugged in or powered on" etc etc...

Its a right pain in the ass, I managed to get win98 installed but when it goes to boot it displays "Not enough memory, allocate more"
Specs of laptop are:

60GB HDD
2GB RAM
Intel Centrino 2.0GHZ
Made for XP, Vista capable

It should work but its really strange how it isnt :S

Any ideas as im not paying PCWorld £50 to have to all re-installed again when I have all the XP Upgrade disks etc here that ive paid for before anyway.

xzl.
29-08-2009, 10:55 AM
Just wondering, but have you tried going into the boot menu and deleting the hard drive partitions? I had the same problem as you and that seemed to work :)

Chippiewill
29-08-2009, 11:42 AM
Well right, my laptop messed up so I went to re install windows.

I insert the XP disk and it displays something like "Windows XP could not install due to a hard drive not being plugged in or powered on" etc etc...

Its a right pain in the ass, I managed to get win98 installed but when it goes to boot it displays "Not enough memory, allocate more"
Specs of laptop are:

60GB HDD
2GB RAM
Intel Centrino 2.0GHZ
Made for XP, Vista capable

It should work but its really strange how it isnt :S

Any ideas as im not paying PCWorld £50 to have to all re-installed again when I have all the XP Upgrade disks etc here that ive paid for before anyway.

Try going into BIOS and disabling sata mode, oh and Win98 doesn't support that much RAM which is probably why that isn't working

Markeh
29-08-2009, 10:25 PM
Just wondering, but have you tried going into the boot menu and deleting the hard drive partitions? I had the same problem as you and that seemed to work :)

This was what we did on my Acer a few months ago. It saved us the stupid £50 charge.

awelsh
30-08-2009, 06:46 PM
Thanks guys, turned off SATA support and it installed fine :)

Everything is working again now apart from the audio :( the drivers wont install and say "Not able to complete task as MEDIA is not present" :(

Im sure ill sort it out though :)

Saved me £50 too :)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!