PDA

View Full Version : The VGA Cable... take 2.

Hitman
02-09-2009, 12:01 PM
Hey... well I bought that VGA cable, the shielded one. Plug it in, screen loads. Then it goes black and a small box appears saying "Out of range". It says " H (horizontal) frequency - 75khz" and V (vertical) frequency - 60Hz"...
(yes I wrote it correct, one is khz and the other hz).

So, I can't use the screen with this vga cable. I've tried safemode - still says it. I've tried changing the resolution - no use. I've tried to change the frequency of the screen to 75hz and I dunno if it did it or not, but still it wouldn't work.

So I'm stuck. What should I do? My guess is that the monitor doesn't support 75khz frequency?

Here's my gfx card, monitor and the cable so you may be able to find the problem:

GFX: Asus nVidia 9400GT
Monitor: http://www.computermonitors.org.uk/aoc-monitor/aoc-n20wb-computer-monitor/
Cable: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-5m-SVGA-VGA-Monitor-VGA-Lead-Cable-Male-to-Male-M-M_W0QQitemZ380154367991QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Compu ting_CablesConnectors_RL?hash=item5882f74ff7&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14
Any help would be great... thanks.

N!ck
02-09-2009, 12:12 PM
It's probably a dodgy cable.

If it works with a particular resolution/frequency with your old cable and doesn't with the new one then it's the cable.

Hitman
02-09-2009, 12:22 PM
It's probably a dodgy cable.

If it works with a particular resolution/frequency with your old cable and doesn't with the new one then it's the cable.
Yeah my old cable works at 1680 by 1050 @ 60Hz... but this one doesn't.

I've emailed the seller, just waiting for a reply... bit annoying. :(

Hitman
02-09-2009, 12:53 PM
Bleh... I just plugged the screen into the laptop with the new cable and it worked on some large resolutions... so I plugged the cable from the screen to the pc (whilst it was on) and it worked! It's a bit blurry (I think) but it works... strange...

Hitman
02-09-2009, 01:33 PM
EDIT: Nevermind fixed the colour issue. >_>

OK, so any help with this cable...? It looks like the big old ones, with the square ends... is that because its shielded?

HotelUser
02-09-2009, 01:58 PM
VGA? Analog signal?!! Am I missing something here? Why aren't you using DVI:P?

Hitman
02-09-2009, 02:11 PM
VGA? Analog signal?!! Am I missing something here? Why aren't you using DVI:P?
Monitor only has a VGA port, and somebody said there's not a lot of difference... I just wanna fix this. :(

N!ck
02-09-2009, 04:50 PM
Monitor only has a VGA port, and somebody said there's not a lot of difference... I just wanna fix this. :(

Dodgy cable probably or not plugged in properly.

Hitman
02-09-2009, 04:52 PM
Dodgy cable probably or not plugged in properly.
I'm pretty sure it's in properly, I'll try again. That'll just leave a dodgy cable, which I want to be certain it's just that and nothing else before asking for a replacement.

Hitman
02-09-2009, 05:21 PM
BTW, can't edit again but there's a problem. Each time I turn on my PC, Vista loads and my desktop comes on. About 5 seconds later, everything goes black and white, like greyscale. I can only get the colour back if I rightclick the desktop, click personalise, and change the colour to 16bit and then back to 32bit. I restarted the PC, and it still does it... how can I fix this? >_< It's with the old cable btw.

Jamesy
02-09-2009, 05:51 PM
I had that issue once. But it was a driver error from nVidia.

Hitman
02-09-2009, 07:23 PM
I had that issue once. But it was a driver error from nVidia.
Yeah the reinstallation of the driver has fixed the colour for now.

Hitman
02-09-2009, 11:08 PM
Hoorah, hoorah! I have fixed it but also caused another problem!

I went into safe mode on a low res, and I was able to uninstall the gfx driver. Then I rebooted normally and I then installed the gfx drivers. I was then able to fiddle around with the settings, and I have it in the proper resolution at 60Hz refresh rate! :D

There is, however, one problem. Everything seems a bit smudged. Only slightly, but it's very noticeable! It looks like it's windy and the wind is blowing the text to the right.

Ah and I dunno if it's just my eyes but the screen seems like it's jittering.

Any help?

N!ck
02-09-2009, 11:18 PM
Press the "auto" or equivalent button on the monitor?

Hitman
02-09-2009, 11:21 PM
Press the "auto" or equivalent button on the monitor?
Done it already, not working. :( Tried memory recall too, whatever that does. :(

Stephen!
02-09-2009, 11:31 PM
Try 75 hertz (if it's available)

Hitman
02-09-2009, 11:34 PM
Try 75 hertz (if it's available)
Not available, but I managed to get it into that with nVidias custom resolution thing. Still blurry.

Most things are clear on the screen - it's only as if somebody has gently smudged the font and some images... with a motion blur. :( The cable is plugged in fine.

Maybe it is the cable...

N!ck
02-09-2009, 11:46 PM
What's the other cable like?

I know I have a cheap VGA cable which puts like a shadow on some things.

Hitman
02-09-2009, 11:50 PM
What's the other cable like?

I know I have a cheap VGA cable which puts like a shadow on some things.
The cheap unshielded cable doesn't make the text blurry nor the images - it's crisp. The issue with it though is that it makes some weird vertical lines after text on certain bg's and login boxes and other images have vertical lines on/around them, like a ghost image... which is annoying. With this shielded cable those vertical lines go, only to be replaced by annoying horizontal smudges! :@

N!ck
03-09-2009, 12:12 AM
The cheap unshielded cable doesn't make the text blurry nor the images - it's crisp. The issue with it though is that it makes some weird vertical lines after text on certain bg's and login boxes and other images have vertical lines on/around them, like a ghost image... which is annoying. With this shielded cable those vertical lines go, only to be replaced by annoying horizontal smudges! :@

Yeah, the cheap unshielded one does the same as mine - like a ghosting thing. I don't really know about the new problem, but it's probably the cable. I've learned not to buy dirt cheap cables now though.

Tomm
03-09-2009, 12:58 AM
I buy cheap digital cables but expensive analogue cables ^^ Got a 10m HDMI cable here for £12 and its working pefectly even at 1080p 60hz & 24hz rather than spend like £50 on some super expensive EMP-resistant cable :P

Yeah, the cheap unshielded one does the same as mine - like a ghosting thing. I don't really know about the new problem, but it's probably the cable. I've learned not to buy dirt cheap cables now though.

N!ck
03-09-2009, 01:03 AM
I buy cheap digital cables but expensive analogue cables ^^ Got a 10m HDMI cable here for £12 and its working pefectly even at 1080p 60hz & 24hz rather than spend like £50 on some super expensive EMP-resistant cable :P

Yeah, it's worth it with the analogue ones. With digital I tend to go cheap or the one just above the cheapest just to make sure.

Hitman
03-09-2009, 06:55 AM
OK thanks, I'm going down town today so I might pop in a PC shop.

Hitman
03-09-2009, 06:01 PM
Just an update, the seller is sending another cable to replace the faulty one... let's hope it works!

Hitman
05-09-2009, 11:21 AM
New one arrived and it's STILL blurry as if there's a motion blur on the page. :(

N!ck
05-09-2009, 11:24 AM
It's because it's a cheap cable. Mine does the same.

Hitman
05-09-2009, 11:40 AM
It's because it's a cheap cable. Mine does the same.
Mmk, what would a decent cable cost? In currys it cost £45 for the Belkin cable... no way am I paying that for a cable... sure it'll be top quality, but I just want an "Ok" quality.

N!ck
05-09-2009, 12:11 PM
Mmk, what would a decent cable cost? In currys it cost £45 for the Belkin cable... no way am I paying that for a cable... sure it'll be top quality, but I just want an "Ok" quality.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/130555
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/57632

Hitman
05-09-2009, 12:25 PM
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/130555
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/57632
1st looks like what I bought. The second looks good, I think I'll buy it...

Hitman
21-09-2009, 10:12 AM
N!ck, I checked on Play.com (cheaper than ebuyer) and they have the exact same one... but 2 out of 3 of the reviews were bad, saying it made their screens blurry. The recommended the 'blue' one, which I reckon is this...

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/7966588/Belkin-AV21401QP06-Pure-AV-Blue-Series-HD-15-HD-15-Super-VGA-Home-Theatre-Cable-1-8m/Product.html

Would that be any better?

Hitman
25-09-2009, 12:14 PM
Just an update. It is fixed. :D I bought a Belkin VGA home theater cable (good quality), auto adjusted the screen and it has fixed it! :D I'm over the moon.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!