PDA

View Full Version : Skin Cancer....

efq
09-09-2009, 03:01 PM
I just wanna ask a few questions regarding Skin Cancer because I am Portuguese and as you know, we don't use sun lotion (well we do if we know we will directly lay in the sun for hours) but our skin is adapted for the sun, so we don't burn or peel.

My tan is like this (this is my sister, mine's a lil darker)
*REMOVED*

Theres all this stuff going on about sun giving you skin cancer which is understood but my family has never had anyone with it over soo many years and I do stay cautious by checking for any new moles. But do I have the same chance as anyone else or is someone's skin whos adapted to the sun got less chance?

Edited by Hecktix (Forum Moderator): Image removed at request of user - thread closed as it's gone off topic.

efq
09-09-2009, 03:31 PM
Btw, the South of Portugal (Algarve). So its hot throughout the year and about 15-20 degrees at winter so it's constant sun.

e5
09-09-2009, 03:33 PM
Cancers usually run through genes therefore if someone else in your family had skin cancer, it won't matter if you're skin is adapted to it or not, but you still run the risk of getting it. Obviously, i'd say a person with whitter skin has more chance of catching the sun anyway therefore increasing risk of skin cancer.

efq
09-09-2009, 03:38 PM
Cancers usually run through genes therefore if someone else in your family had skin cancer, it won't matter if you're skin is adapted to it or not, but you still run the risk of getting it. Obviously, i'd say a person with whitter skin has more chance of catching the sun anyway therefore increasing risk of skin cancer.
Yeah, no-one in the history of my family has had skin cancer. With v/tanned skin then I assume it blocks out the harmful UV rays better? When I was born (as all Portuguese) you just go tanned whereas I have seen white English people look really red on the beaches here. I don't know why I didn't go red when I was younger but what I've been told is that I have 'Olive Skin' or something.

Aces
10-09-2009, 02:17 PM
skin color does not reduce risk of skin cancer

15-20 degree winters sound great.. here during winter we can have days when it's like -25 or something

efq
10-09-2009, 02:39 PM
But you tan to prevent you from SOME UV rays...

flatface
10-09-2009, 06:43 PM
There are two main ways of contracting skin cancer.

One of which being when you are exposed to high amounts of UV rays. UV rays hit the skin which damages your DNA in your skin cells. This can then cause uncontrollable cell division leading to skin cancer.

As you are more tanned you have better protection against UV rays then a less tanned person would have. I forgot exactly what it's called but tanned people have a type of pigment in their skin which lets less UV rays in.

As said above inherited genes also have a major impact, as well as if you have freckles, have moles or in some cases blue eyes.

efq
10-09-2009, 07:13 PM
There are two main ways of contracting skin cancer.

One of which being when you are exposed to high amounts of UV rays. UV rays hit the skin which damages your DNA in your skin cells. This can then cause uncontrollable cell division leading to skin cancer.

As you are more tanned you have better protection against UV rays then a less tanned person would have. I forgot exactly what it's called but tanned people have a type of pigment in their skin which lets less UV rays in.

As said above inherited genes also have a major impact, as well as if you have freckles, have moles or in some cases blue eyes.
Well I have a v dark tan as you'd expect anybody who has been living in Portugal for all of their life, no inherited genes, no freckles or blue eyes. (Brown eyes). I have a few moles but the normal ones.

flatface
10-09-2009, 08:36 PM
Well I have a v dark tan as you'd expect anybody who has been living in Portugal for all of their life, no inherited genes, no freckles or blue eyes. (Brown eyes). I have a few moles but the normal ones.

Well I wouldn't worry then :)

efq
10-09-2009, 08:37 PM
Well I wouldn't worry then :)
Ok thanks now could you please remove that image of my sister :D?

flatface
10-09-2009, 09:07 PM
Im no longer a super mod lol, sorry :)

Metric1
10-09-2009, 09:26 PM
I'm half french so I get black in the summer. I wear sunscreen if I'm baking in the sun, but I still tan.

efq
10-09-2009, 09:39 PM
I'm half french so I get black in the summer. I wear sunscreen if I'm baking in the sun, but I still tan.
what do you mean you get black in the summer? I understand you mean get really tanned but you make it sound temporarily :S

We don't use sunscreen because it's pointless for us plus a lot to buy.

Metric1
10-09-2009, 10:51 PM
what do you mean you get black in the summer? I understand you mean get really tanned but you make it sound temporarily :S

We don't use sunscreen because it's pointless for us plus a lot to buy.

I could pass for an african-american in the summer. I spend 5 weeks in Florida this winter and got an excellent base tan and I kept building it over the summer. It's disturbing when I take my clothes, my *** is as white as can be and the rest of my body is brown.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1082/1391951659_0be7a6b866.jpg?v=0

As long as you don't look like her, you're fine!

efq
10-09-2009, 10:53 PM
I could pass for an african-american in the summer. I spend 5 weeks in Florida this winter and got an excellent base tan and I kept building it over the summer. It's disturbing when I take my clothes, my *** is as white as can be and the rest of my body is brown.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1082/1391951659_0be7a6b866.jpg?v=0

As long as you don't look like her, you're fine!
eww at that image.

i dont care about a tan, i come to England and all everyone says is 'I want a tan'... it really isn't that great and the hype is stupid in the UK...

My whole body is brown (including the hidden parts :D) cause I got tanned as a nude baby ;) but it's a little lighter than the rest of my body cause I don't go naked anymore obviously!

But yeah I understand your tanline meaning, go nude in your backyard. :D

Metric1
11-09-2009, 02:22 AM
eww at that image.

i dont care about a tan, i come to England and all everyone says is 'I want a tan'... it really isn't that great and the hype is stupid in the UK...

My whole body is brown (including the hidden parts :D) cause I got tanned as a nude baby ;) but it's a little lighter than the rest of my body cause I don't go naked anymore obviously!

But yeah I understand your tanline meaning, go nude in your backyard. :D

I would rather keep my bits inside my shorts.

efq
11-09-2009, 08:50 PM
I would rather keep my bits inside my shorts.
fair dooooo's but remember them tanlines :P

kuzkasate
15-09-2009, 05:11 PM

well then theres nothing to worry about... but if you do get slightly suspicious just get checked out

efq
15-09-2009, 05:12 PM
Ok my questions answer, I would close the thread myself but I want this picture of my sister removed first... any smods?

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!