PDA

View Full Version : New Ipod Nano!

AgnesIO
10-09-2009, 08:13 PM
Doesn't appear to be a thread on this? Surpised if there isn't (I cannot see one..)

2.2in screen, and you can now video record! Prices start at £115 for a 8gb model :)

http://www.apple.com/uk/ipodnano/

FM radio, video recording etc.

Thoughts?

syko2006
10-09-2009, 08:34 PM
Wow, that looks cool!
It'll be wierd having a camera on a Nano. :D

Laurensh1
10-09-2009, 08:54 PM
It's okay I guess, dunno why I should video with it.. But the FM thingy is rather nice!

AgnesIO
11-09-2009, 06:42 AM
It's okay I guess, dunno why I should video with it.. But the FM thingy is rather nice!

Guess it could be useful if you forget a phone (or camera)

And the worlds biggest small screen got bigger! :D

The Professor
11-09-2009, 07:14 AM
Makes me laugh that the camera can only take video and not stills!

GommeInc
11-09-2009, 10:12 AM
Makes me laugh that the camera can only take video and not stills!
Seriously?! My God, iPods are actually getting worse each generation and new iPod released :S Why didn't they just stick to the original iPod Mini? It was the only decent iPod that didn't feel like cheap packaging, and even worse this iPod Nano technically makes it a Mini Camcorder with MP3 functionality - because the primary function is the now the camcorder/video functionality, despite being labelled as an MP3 player, it now has the ability to make media, and therefore it is no longer an iPod MP3 player, just a new generation of iPod Video Cameras :/

Oh well, guess this means iPods are no longer in the MP3 player rat race :P

This is of course, Apple are going against basic marketing systems and are going to claim it is still an MP3 player, even though it blatently isn't. But they do like re-writing rules so that their products make sense to themselves and only themselves :P

Johno
11-09-2009, 03:43 PM
Don't see the point in the camera, I like the idea of the FM radio however. It's kinda cool but yeah, a lot of the "updates" seem completely pointless!

Alkaz
11-09-2009, 03:50 PM
Oh cool, thats good if the camera is good. Anyone know the mp?

Jordy
11-09-2009, 03:50 PM
Meanwhile the Zune HD is releasing with HD Radio (The American equivalent of DAB Radio), the "new" iPod Nano is releasing with the old FM Radio which has been on mobile phones for over 5 years.

I can't believe it can't take photos, I can see how that'd be a little useful but videos? Nah. It's not like it's a decent quality camera anyway.

Why can't they add some features to the iPod Classic though?! In about 3-4 years they haven't updated it at all. They've upped it to 160GBs but 2 generations ago they used to do that, it's just adding a feature they got rid of, nothing new at all.

You
11-09-2009, 04:03 PM
I thought they would have re-designed it! Are they releasing a new touch at all?

StefanWolves
11-09-2009, 04:04 PM
The camera would have been much better on the Touch, which I'm sure is what they intended to do (I'm 100% sure of it), rumours a week or so before the 'key note event' certainly suggested that the iPod Touch was going to get a camera, but Apple had technical difficulties (so had to scrap it), so it looks like as an after thought Apple quickly put the 'camera' on the Nano, so that their 'key note event' wouldn't be a huge disaster.

Absolutely pathetic, crap update, the Nano should stay as a Nano, and the Touch should evolve, which in fairness ( with the 32GB and 64GB models) it has, but not enough.

UrbanRyan
11-09-2009, 04:09 PM
Don't see the point in the camera, I like the idea of the FM radio however. It's kinda cool but yeah, a lot of the "updates" seem completely pointless!

Don't they just.. most people carry a mobile around with them so will have a camera there.

OrenX
11-09-2009, 07:58 PM
I think its just ok not the best. Its is still a good ipod but. I think the cam is a little more of a problem then it need to be. I know shocking :O

kk.
11-09-2009, 08:47 PM
I read somewhere about why they didnt have apicture stills. I think it was due to the fact its a 0.3mp camera.

here we go: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/10/fifth_generation_ipod_nano_teardown/

Tells you why they wouldnt be able to add a biger camera. Its just an extra apple thought might be fun. I mean, why not? it doesnt take it away from being an ipod.

Grippz
11-09-2009, 09:10 PM
It looks kewl

GommeInc
11-09-2009, 10:43 PM
Tells you why they wouldnt be able to add a biger camera. Its just an extra apple thought might be fun. I mean, why not? it doesnt take it away from being an ipod.
Does from a marketing and technical point of view. Apple have indirectly pulled the Nano out of the MP3 market and chucked it in the video camera market without a paddle :P

The radio is hardly interesting - Creative Zens have had them for years, and in some cases you can records the radio (though arguably, a firmware update can and has removed this feature). Unoriginal idea really :/

Jordy
12-09-2009, 10:32 PM
Does from a marketing and technical point of view. Apple have indirectly pulled the Nano out of the MP3 market and chucked it in the video camera market without a paddle :P

The radio is hardly interesting - Creative Zens have had them for years, and in some cases you can records the radio (though arguably, a firmware update can and has removed this feature). Unoriginal idea really :/Yeah but when Apple introduces an old and unoriginal feature it's considered a "Revolution".

Remember when the iPhone added such simple features like MMS, Copy and Paste and a Video Camera. Apple were pretty much considered innovative geniuses.

kk.
12-09-2009, 11:00 PM
Its the way theyve made those features innovative, and in fact, they were slated about the features because they were things that shouldve been released to begin with

Recursion
12-09-2009, 11:10 PM
Its the way theyve made those features innovative, and in fact, they were slated about the features because they were things that shouldve been released to begin with

Copy Paste is not innovative at all on the iPhone.

kk.
12-09-2009, 11:15 PM
not innovative as such, just a good way of doing it

Laurensh1
13-09-2009, 01:07 PM
Yeah but when Apple introduces an old and unoriginal feature it's considered a "Revolution".

Remember when the iPhone added such simple features like MMS, Copy and Paste and a Video Camera. Apple were pretty much considered innovative geniuses.
Apple fanboys think everything Apple does is holy, even thought they just wait with new features and add them later, to be praised again.

GommeInc
13-09-2009, 04:27 PM
Apple fanboys think everything Apple does is holy, even thought they just wait with new features and add them later, to be praised again.
Indeed, like the iPhones crappy bluetooth. When that is proper utilized, there's going to be an Apple form of the rapture after people celebrate how amazing it is to have something so simple come out on a phone that doesn't really justify itself. Would be peaceful though, one religion down, another few left to go :P

And they actually released MMS in the end?

StefanWolves
13-09-2009, 04:30 PM
Indeed, like the iPhones crappy bluetooth. When that is proper utilized, there's going to be an Apple form of the rapture after people celebrate how amazing it is to have something so simple come out on a phone that doesn't really justify itself. Would be peaceful though, one religion down, another few left to go :P

course they did, it wasn't a problem with apple, it was crapp at&t being arse holes.

and i have proper bluetooth on my iphone! :8

GommeInc
13-09-2009, 04:47 PM
Why didn't they allow MMS? :P

And did they finally update the iPhone bluetooth? Last time I check it was very restricted and didn't allow files or contacts to be transferred, especially to bluetooth sets in cars e.g. Ford.

Recursion
13-09-2009, 04:54 PM
course they did, it wasn't a problem with apple, it was crapp at&t being arse holes.

and i have proper bluetooth on my iphone! :8

No it wasn't, it was just Apple being ass holes with their firmware. They could have easily opened MMS up to the UK etc even if AT&T said no.

xxMATTGxx
13-09-2009, 05:33 PM
No it wasn't, it was just Apple being ass holes with their firmware. They could have easily opened MMS up to the UK etc even if AT&T said no.

You will be right there but what he was saying is correct as well. AT&T haven't that long ago just let iPhone users have MMS. Because they are basically a crap network, like most USA networks are anyway.

Edit: For all the other posts. Apple have been doing this for sometime now, that's their business plan and seem to be doing well from it. Although they should start changing some of it, because its bloody stupid. New iPhone each year and they only add small amount of features. It's a joke to be honest.

Oh and I also think the Nano was going to get the video camera anyway?

StefanWolves
13-09-2009, 07:50 PM
You will be right there but what he was saying is correct as well. AT&T haven't that long ago just let iPhone users have MMS. Because they are basically a crap network, like most USA networks are anyway.

Edit: For all the other posts. Apple have been doing this for sometime now, that's their business plan and seem to be doing well from it. Although they should start changing some of it, because its bloody stupid. New iPhone each year and they only add small amount of features. It's a joke to be honest.

Oh and I also think the Nano was going to get the video camera anyway?

this man knows what he's talking about

GommeInc
13-09-2009, 09:28 PM
Hmm, might explain why alot of people seem to be moving away from Apple products, or at least saying they are/will be... Windows 7 has wow'd alot of people and I've seen people look at Zunes and Zens too, because of Apples dirty marketing tactics :P

StefanWolves
13-09-2009, 09:37 PM
I have to say, W7 is soo soo sooooo impressive, can't wait for it to be released.

xxMATTGxx
13-09-2009, 09:44 PM
Hmm, might explain why alot of people seem to be moving away from Apple products, or at least saying they are/will be... Windows 7 has wow'd alot of people and I've seen people look at Zunes and Zens too, because of Apples dirty marketing tactics :P

And due to the current recession around the world then they probably can't afford the expensive Apple products!

For anyone wondering about the iPod Touch: http://www.macrumors.com/2009/09/12/leaked-ipod-touch-with-camera-photos-were-real/

StefanWolves
13-09-2009, 09:48 PM
And due to the current recession around the world then they probably can't afford the expensive Apple products!

For anyone wondering about the iPod Touch: http://www.macrumors.com/2009/09/12/leaked-ipod-touch-with-camera-photos-were-real/

just proves that there WAS going to be a camera? :P

xxMATTGxx
13-09-2009, 09:53 PM
just proves that there WAS going to be a camera? :P

People were saying how it would of been better in the touch etc. Although by the sounds of things it was going to happen anyway but something stopped it. If its true about the technical problem Apple had. I still believe that the Nano would of still got the video camera as well.

StefanWolves
13-09-2009, 10:02 PM
People were saying how it would of been better in the touch etc. Although by the sounds of things it was going to happen anyway but something stopped it. If its true about the technical problem Apple had. I still believe that the Nano would of still got the video camera as well.

Yeah, i've already said it in a thread somewhere, Apple intended to have a camera on both, I'm 100% sure of it, damn technical difficulties ruined it.

xxMATTGxx
13-09-2009, 10:07 PM
Yeah, i've already said it in a thread somewhere, Apple intended to have a camera on both, I'm 100% sure of it, damn technical difficulties ruined it.

Yeah, it looks like it to be honest. I wonder when they will release that then.

StefanWolves
13-09-2009, 10:18 PM
Yeah, it looks like it to be honest. I wonder when they will release that then.

Probably after the next iPhone, Apples always been slow like that. :/

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!