PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Bomb Plotters Jailed For 108 Years

StefanWolves
14-09-2009, 11:12 PM
All will serve at least 30 years each, one of the people involved gets a minimum of 40 years.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Liquid-Bomb-Plot-British-Muslims-Jailed-Over-Plan-To-Blow-Up-Trans-Atlantic-Planes/Article/200909215381174?lpos=UK_News_Carousel_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15381174_Liquid_Bomb_Plot:_British_Mus lims_Jailed_Over_Plan_To_Blow_Up_Trans-Atlantic_Planes

Best/longest prison sentence I have ever seen given out in this country.

Guess that's what they get for trying to blow up planes involved the UK, US, and Canada? :)

Thoughts?

Pyroka
14-09-2009, 11:18 PM
Big numbers just to please the world, once theyre forgotten about theyll reduce the sentences to free up prisons.

Because the justice system just works that way.

StefanWolves
14-09-2009, 11:19 PM
They've said that they will serve no less than 30 and in one case 40 years in jail?

Hecktix
14-09-2009, 11:26 PM
It costs £40,000 to keep a prisoner in prison for one year.

So that's a minimum £1,200,000 each they're gonna cost us over the next few years...

That's a minimum £3,600,000 in total.

Anybody still against capital punishment?

Oleh
15-09-2009, 06:20 AM
Well capital punishment should be re-instated for terrorists obviously, maybe by some SAW style room ?

StefanWolves
15-09-2009, 08:52 AM
Well capital punishment should be re-instated for terrorists obviously, maybe by some SAW style room ?

would be good for murderers and serious sex offenders to.

Colin-Roberts
15-09-2009, 11:19 AM
It costs £40,000 to keep a prisoner in prison for one year.

So that's a minimum £1,200,000 each they're gonna cost us over the next few years...

That's a minimum £3,600,000 in total.

Anybody still against capital punishment?
it's cheaper to keep them in prison for 100 years, then it is to put them in death row, or the chair.

Oleh
15-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Well the justice system is messed up then if it costs more than £30 to put them on death row, i know they have a audience but come one, this aint the 02 arena, and last meal damn its a quick mcdonalds happy meal and coke, nothing fancy

Hecktix
15-09-2009, 04:49 PM
it's cheaper to keep them in prison for 100 years, then it is to put them in death row, or the chair.

How on earth does it cost £3.6 MILLION to kill 3 people humanly?

Pfft.

Pyroka
15-09-2009, 04:54 PM

Pfft.

Electricity bills would be pretty high :rolleyes:

CHA!NGANG
15-09-2009, 04:57 PM
Not 3.6 million though. Should just make an fortified area/island, dump them there, and let them deal with themselves :P

Realistically, that is a lot of money for one year. Why does it cost that much?

Hecktix
15-09-2009, 05:02 PM
Not 3.6 million though. Should just make an fortified area/island, dump them there, and let them deal with themselves :P

Realistically, that is a lot of money for one year. Why does it cost that much?

Prison maintainance, food, TV, prison guards, transport, rehab programmes, work programmes, prisoner payments & benefits (yep they get paid & benefits)...

It's ridiculous.

People like these terrorists should be hung, a rope costs about £5 :S

Pyroka
15-09-2009, 05:04 PM
Prison maintainance, food, TV, prison guards, transport, rehab programmes, work programmes, prisoner payments & benefits (yep they get paid & benefits)...

It's ridiculous.

Amen, make a god damn example. Why cant our government be like South Africas, who were like "IF ANY GANGSTERS EVEN TRY TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF FOOTBALL SUPPORTERS IN THE WORLD CUP, WE'LL LOCK YOU UP WITH NO TRIAL. SOZ."

I mean hell, isnt that justice and a half?

StefanWolves
15-09-2009, 05:14 PM
Amen, make a god damn example. Why cant our government be like South Africas, who were like "IF ANY GANGSTERS EVEN TRY TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF FOOTBALL SUPPORTERS IN THE WORLD CUP, WE'LL LOCK YOU UP WITH NO TRIAL. SOZ."

I mean hell, isnt that justice and a half?

I like it. :)

Jordy
15-09-2009, 07:52 PM
In the USA it's widely predicted to cost $3.2 million to execute a prisoner. In all cases involving Death Sentences it will always go through a variety of courts and then appeals etc. It's the legal fees which will wrack up very quickly. So in the USA it's usually much much cheaper for a lifetime in jail.

I know it looks cheap to execute someone but it really isn't and they deserve as much right as anyone else to ensure their conviction is a fair one.

Personally I think £3.6 million is a small price to pay for the conviction of these bombers, the other option is letting them go and let them commit/plan another giant terrorism attack killing hundreds of people.

xxMATTGxx
15-09-2009, 09:51 PM
In the USA it's widely predicted to cost $3.2 million to execute a prisoner. In all cases involving Death Sentences it will always go through a variety of courts and then appeals etc. It's the legal fees which will wrack up very quickly. So in the USA it's usually much much cheaper for a lifetime in jail.

I know it looks cheap to execute someone but it really isn't and they deserve as much right as anyone else to ensure their conviction is a fair one.

Personally I think £3.6 million is a small price to pay for the conviction of these bombers, the other option is letting them go and let them commit/plan another giant terrorism attack killing hundreds of people.

Agreed to be honest. It's not that easy putting someone on death row you know? Yes these are terrorists who were going try and do something much bigger then 9/11. As long as they don't release them, we shall be fine until other threats come against us.

alexxxxx
15-09-2009, 10:27 PM
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty

this source puts Florida executions at $24million, so on that basis, no it doesn't look any cheaper.

Dimbles
16-09-2009, 06:46 AM
woah good.
3 less teroists i guess?

Ardemax
16-09-2009, 11:00 AM

It's ridiculous.

£1 at poundland

we shouldn't worry though
they'll be released in 18 months

UKIP
16-09-2009, 08:30 PM

Pfft.

I couldn't agree more, its just some false screen put over by the criminal-loving elite to stop them being sent to where they belong - hell.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty

this source puts Florida executions at $24million, so on that basis, no it doesn't look any cheaper.

..even if it was more expensive, i'd still rather see them fry.

kk.
16-09-2009, 08:44 PM
Also: http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/rupert-cornwell/rupert-cornwell-will-the-us-at-last-admit-it-executed-an-innocent-man-1786630.html

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/off-the-markley/2009/09/the-death-penalty-is-an-abomination-and-we-need-to-end-it.html

The death penalty, although may seem like a logical action, can also turn out to end an innocent persons life. At least, would you want to be put on death row and killed within weeks of the sentence without even having a chance to defend yourself again.

100+ years seems probably about right. Theyll be too old to do anything when they come out, just, theyll be richer than most people when out, better than most of the UK pensioners more than likely

alexxxxx
16-09-2009, 08:48 PM
I couldn't agree more, its just some false screen put over by the criminal-loving elite to stop them being sent to where they belong - hell.

..even if it was more expensive, i'd still rather see them fry.

when you die, you don't go to hell, you just stop living. i love criminals, infact i wish there were more murderers. seriously, that's what liberals think, moreover we also hate white people and want to destroy britain. we love political correctness and we love giving single mums money for them and their 5 babies (don't forget the council house and free car). but i love immigrants the most, if it was up to me, i'd let the whole of africa come and live, there's plenty of space! we should have them all for diversity and just give them a red carpet welcome when they come and give them even more than the single mums. i'm even more happy cause that's exactly how it all works! :rolleyes:

criminals are less likely to be found guilty where there is a death penalty, it doesn't deter crime, it's more expensive as there's lengthy appeals processes, plus a million other things added in to make it more expensive to jump through legal safeguards and my number one reason against the death penalty: no one has the right to intentionally remove anyone's life for any reason.

plus, these people didn't kill anyone. you can't execute someone for conspiracy to commit murder because they didn't.

UKIP
16-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Also: http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/rupert-cornwell/rupert-cornwell-will-the-us-at-last-admit-it-executed-an-innocent-man-1786630.html

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/off-the-markley/2009/09/the-death-penalty-is-an-abomination-and-we-need-to-end-it.html

The death penalty, although may seem like a logical action, can also turn out to end an innocent persons life. At least, would you want to be put on death row and killed within weeks of the sentence without even having a chance to defend yourself again.

100+ years seems probably about right. Theyll be too old to do anything when they come out, just, theyll be richer than most people when out, better than most of the UK pensioners more than likely

The problem is, they dont get anywhere near 100+ years; its more around the two year mark.. or you could look at the Lockierbie bomber, who murdered hundreds and only got ten years.

when you die, you don't go to hell, you just stop living. i love criminals, infact i wish there were more murderers. seriously, that's what liberals think, moreover we also hate white people and want to destroy britain. we love political correctness and we love giving single mums money for them and their 5 babies (don't forget the council house and free car). but i love immigrants the most, if it was up to me, i'd let the whole of africa come and live, there's plenty of space! we should have them all for diversity and just give them a red carpet welcome when they come and give them even more than the single mums. i'm even more happy cause that's exactly how it all works! :rolleyes:

criminals are less likely to be found guilty where there is a death penalty, it doesn't deter crime, it's more expensive as there's lengthy appeals processes, plus a million other things added in to make it more expensive to jump through legal safeguards and my number one reason against the death penalty: no one has the right to intentionally remove anyone's life for any reason.

plus, these people didn't kill anyone. you can't execute someone for conspiracy to commit murder because they didn't.

You've never been so right, infact you've just surely written Labours' 2010 manifesto. I just find it strange how you knew when I said 'the elite', that I was referring to the liberal left wingers - finally accepting the truth?

..back onto crime; it does deter crime because if its the difference between being executed or a few years in a prison, along with a free Xbox and numerous activities provided at the taxpayers expense - the criminals will think twice. The criminals dont have the right to remove peoples' lives, especially when not allowed by the democratic and just state - therefore there is a difference between state execution and cold-blooded murder.

it's more expensive
..not justified, especially coming from someone who supports the EUSSR.

alexxxxx
16-09-2009, 09:17 PM
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/murder-rates-1996-2007

US States with death penalty average 5.1 murder rate, whilst those without, 3.1.

what a good deterrent. i can see why it's a good idea now.

and there isn't a difference between us a nation terminating someone's life and a murderer. someone died at the end of it. it doesn't put us on a high ground. plus, if we execute someone incorrectly, every single one of us has blood on our hands.

UKIP
16-09-2009, 09:28 PM
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/murder-rates-1996-2007

US States with death penalty average 5.1 murder rate, whilst those without, 3.1.

what a good deterrent. i can see why it's a good idea now.

and there isn't a difference between us a nation terminating someone's life and a murderer. someone died at the end of it. it doesn't put us on a high ground. plus, if we execute someone incorrectly, every single one of us has blood on our hands.

..so you're saying the dealth penalty encourages murders? - I very much doubt that.

There is a difference, the state has passed a democratic and just judgement on that person, they are being punished by the courts which have made a detailed and mostly correct assessment on these people. There a is a big difference between me running out and cutting people to pieces, and me being found guilty and executed because of the awful crime I committed.

alexxxxx
16-09-2009, 09:34 PM
no, i'm saying that 'death penalty is a deterrent' just doesn't work, because if there were, surely the murder rate would be lower, not higher? it's right there before your eyes.

no, there is no difference..

i am not religious, though i have the feeling that no one has the right to kill anyone for any reason (apart from accidental killing in self-defense) Killing someone for killing someone doesn't make sense. Why is it up to you to judge that it's ok to kill this person? You just don't have the right to decide who lives and who dies... simple as.

UKIP
16-09-2009, 09:37 PM
no, i'm saying that 'death penalty is a deterrent' just doesn't work, because if there were, surely the murder rate would be lower, not higher? it's right there before your eyes.

no, there is no difference..

i am not religious, though i have the feeling that no one has the right to kill anyone for any reason (apart from accidental killing in self-defense) Killing someone for killing someone doesn't make sense. Why is it up to you to judge that it's ok to kill this person? You just don't have the right to decide who lives and who dies... simple as.

..because the judge has the law behind him, and is making a fair and non-biased decision over a very important matter of which the defendant only got himself/herself into because they brutally murdered a person/s.

alexxxxx
16-09-2009, 09:42 PM
..because the judge has the law behind him, and is making a fair and non-biased decision over a very important matter of which the defendant only got himself/herself into because they brutally murdered a person/s.

my point is, there is noone in a position, morally, that has given you a mandate to that. legally, yes, but there isn't someone superior to give you permission to destroy you. everyone is equal in the eyes of the law and everyone is born equal, therefore how can someone have the ability to decide who lives and dies?

UKIP
16-09-2009, 09:45 PM
my point is, there is noone in a position, morally, that has given you a mandate to that. legally, yes, but there isn't someone superior to give you permission to destroy you. everyone is equal in the eyes of the law and everyone is born equal, therefore how can someone have the ability to decide who lives and dies?

They are superior, as they haven't committed a terrible and brutal crime which robbed someone/various people of their lives. In that case and the logic your using, you could say many things..

Who has the right to have more money than me?
Who has the right to send someone to prison for the rest of their life?

Indeed everyones born equal, and everyone has pretty much the same oppertunities in a capitalist country, therefore if you take the wrong steps then you will be punished for that.

alexxxxx
16-09-2009, 10:00 PM
So therefore they become some supreme being?

You've missed my point. Noone has the right to play god, which is essentially what murderers and judges do (when sentencing someone to death). Late-term abortions is the same thing, as you are essentially taking a life, which could stand by itself. As a left winger I do have right wing views on abortion. If a baby can survive (albeit with help and only one baby, ever) after so many weeks, abortions should be made illegal after that point. It's the same principal. No one should have the right to kill. Just because someone else has killed someone doesn't give you a mandate to kill them.

UKIP
16-09-2009, 10:07 PM
So therefore they become some supreme being?

You've missed my point. Noone has the right to play god, which is essentially what murderers and judges do (when sentencing someone to death). Late-term abortions is the same thing, as you are essentially taking a life, which could stand by itself. As a left winger I do have right wing views on abortion. If a baby can survive (albeit with help and only one baby, ever) after so many weeks, abortions should be made illegal after that point. It's the same principal. No one should have the right to kill. Just because someone else has killed someone doesn't give you a mandate to kill them.

Indeed they do, they have a better moral base and are qualified to make that decision in a fair, honest and just way.

A baby is different, that baby hasn't done anything and hasn't murdered anyone. A grown human being can make that decision to murder someone, something which a baby in a womans womb has no concept of.

alexxxxx
16-09-2009, 10:11 PM
yeah that's what i'm saying, noone has the right to murder a baby, murder a gang member or execute a murderer. They aren't the same people and they don't all have the same 'moral' standing, yet it still doesn't mean that you have the right to kill them. these are my values, I can't prove them to you, i think yours are wrong and bloodthirsty, like an animal, yet you probably think i've lost the plot and that as a collective, someone does infact have the right. I'm telling you mine. There's nothing to argue about.]

In an ideal world, noone would have to die until their hearts wear out.

UKIP
16-09-2009, 10:15 PM
yeah that's what i'm saying, noone has the right to murder a baby, murder a gang member or execute a murderer. They aren't the same people and they don't all have the same 'moral' standing, yet it still doesn't mean that you have the right to kill them. these are my values, I can't prove them to you, i think yours are wrong and bloodthirsty, like an animal, yet you probably think i've lost the plot and that as a collective, someone does infact have the right. I'm telling you mine. There's nothing to argue about.]

In an ideal world, noone would have to die until their hearts wear out.

You are missing the point.

The baby has not done anything.
The murderer has and knew the consquences.

Its not blood thirsty, its justice against those who are blood thirsty.

alexxxxx
16-09-2009, 10:20 PM
NO I AM NOT MISSING THE POINT.

I AM TELLING YOU, YOU DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO KILL SOMEONE. END OF. IT DOESN'T MATTER IF THEY ARE A CHILD, A GANG MEMBER OR A MURDERER WHO KNEW EXACTLY WHAT THEY WERE DOING, IN MY VALUES, NOONE HAS THE RIGHT TO KILL ANYONE. Even if someone was to kill my whole family, I would probably want them to die in a painful manner, yet, even though I feel this, it isn't right for that to happen.

Eye for an Eye just makes the whole world blind.

It's like you've ignored everything i've said.

It IS bloodthirsty. You want BLOOD. You want someone to DIE. It's bloodthirsty justice. It's animal-like behavior.

I think your values are horrible, archaic, yet I know it's what some people believe and i can see why people would think it's ok, in certain ways of thought.

UKIP
16-09-2009, 10:25 PM
NO I AM NOT MISSING THE POINT.

I AM TELLING YOU, YOU DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO KILL SOMEONE. END OF. IT DOESN'T MATTER IF THEY ARE A CHILD, A GANG MEMBER OR A MURDERER WHO KNEW EXACTLY WHAT THEY WERE DOING, IN MY VALUES, NOONE HAS THE RIGHT TO KILL ANYONE. Even if someone was to kill my whole family, I would probably want them to die in a painful manner, yet, even though I feel this, it isn't right for that to happen.

Eye for an Eye just makes the whole world blind.

It's like you've ignored everything i've said.

It IS bloodthirsty. You want BLOOD. You want someone to DIE. It's bloodthirsty justice. It's animal-like behavior.

I think your values are horrible, archaic, yet I know it's what some people believe and i can see why people would think it's ok, in certain ways of thought.

I have listened to everything you've said, you have brought up abortion which is nothing like to sending a brutal murderer to be executed. I do want them to die yes, its not animal like because they knew the consquences and they chose to kill somebody in a blood thirsty manner, therefore they are executed in a fair and humane way for their crime/s.

An eye for a eye may make the world blind, but at least its a just and fair world we'd be living in.

alexxxxx
16-09-2009, 10:29 PM
I have listened to everything you've said, you have brought up abortion which is nothing like to sending a brutal murderer to be executed. I do want them to die yes, its not animal like because they knew the consquences and they chose to kill somebody in a blood thirsty manner, therefore they are executed in a fair and humane way for their crime/s.

An eye for a eye may make the world blind, but at least its a just and fair world we'd be living in.

you see, this is where we have the differences,

my values say that abortion and execution are as bad as each other as you are playing god,

whilst yours says that it's ok to play god because the law says so.

voila.

Black_Apalachi
17-09-2009, 02:26 PM
I think the risk of an innocent person receiving the death penalty greatly cancels out the argument to have it reinstated. I mean come on, imagine if somehow you were suddenly being sentenced to death for something you had nothing to do with. :S

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!