PDA

View Full Version : Should Coursework Be Removed From Educational Courses?

RandomManJay
16-09-2009, 10:05 PM
Many of the courses in both GCSE and A-Level were changed in September 2009 to remove coursework from the syllabus. Does anyone who is entering, presently in, or have completed such or earlier courses think that coursework should stay, or that the courses are better off being just exam based?

Personally I think that coursework should stay considering not everyone is good at exams just as some people aren't good with coursework, so removing coursework is making it difficult for those who aren't good at exams and are depending on the results from their coursework to achieve a successful grade.

Glitter
16-09-2009, 10:09 PM
i'm generally better in exams than i am in coursework, but i reckon coursework is better for some people. I guess it kinda depends on the subject too.

Kardan
16-09-2009, 10:11 PM
My three subjects I got my lowest grade in at GCSE all involved coursework. Though they were B's, so I did okay, prefer no coursework though.

dirrty
16-09-2009, 10:17 PM
coursework is what boosts my grades up lol.

Immenseman
16-09-2009, 10:24 PM
mhm at GCSE, coursework stopped me from getting more A and A*. however, at AS level without coursework i wouldn't have got my A grades. so personally, i think it should stay. it gives everyone the same opportunity - the chance to do it at school or at home so nobody is really at a great disadvantage. everyone is in the same boat and it's a great chance to be a bit more independent because school and education is very spoon fed from personal experience.

Black_Apalachi
17-09-2009, 01:58 AM
I'm pretty sure I'd have epically failed if I had only done exams; partly because of the extra amount of exams I imagine there are to do now. For our Psychology A-level coursework, we basically re-worded previous years' work lol.

Jay.
09-10-2009, 03:35 PM
I take a BTEC course equivalent to 3 A-levels in Medical Science. The reason is, I hate exams. Not just that, but for an exam, you have to revise certain things, yet I think in coursework, you have the opportunity to explore the subject a lot more, you surf the net finding information and will occasionally, find more information than you need, which teaches you more!

Technologic
09-10-2009, 03:45 PM
Coursework is the reason i did so well in my GCSEs, it gives kids a chance who collapse under pressure to show their true ability. Getting rid of it is just stupid

Jamesy
09-10-2009, 05:02 PM
I am in favour of the inverse - scrapping exams and maing it fully portfolio/ coursework assessed.

I find it silly that coursework, that takes in some cases weeks to complete is worth less than an exam that is maybe an hour or two.

It's also a far better guage of a person to employers, as coursework requires a continuous effort over a period of time and not just getting lucky in the exam.

So scrapping it? silly idea :)

Lost
09-10-2009, 05:24 PM
it's good for people who are good at coursework. it's also a very good backup if you, let's say.. have a bad day on the day of the exam, and fail. It's also good to keep you in tact and maybe some help with revision too

RyanDOT
09-10-2009, 07:51 PM
Coursework is much easier. Everything is done in parts, not just in one go. Plus the deadlines are quite long as well you can hand in the coursework early and the teacher can mark it and then improve your work.

Lost
09-10-2009, 07:54 PM
Coursework is much easier. Everything is done in parts, not just in one go. Plus the deadlines are quite long as well you can hand in the coursework early and the teacher can mark it and then improve your work.

Yet so many people have trouble handing it in on time.

Well, I always heard like "****, i've not done my cw" or something...

it is an inconvenience i'll admit, but yeah it certainly helps you when in exams... like if you fail it and you've done amazing coursework, that can be a backup for you, incase when you failed the exam you might of just had a bad day or something.

Things seem to get easier and easier for the kids in the education system? In standard grade/credit French, all answers are in English LOL! It's not until Higher that you actually ANSWER in French.

GommeInc
09-10-2009, 10:55 PM
In theory exams are pointless, as they show no practical sense what so ever. In the REAL world you revise and research or "look up" information when it is needed or if it is needed. If anything, coursework should stay and exams should be abolished for the majority of subjects.

Having a book next to you, doing about a few thousands words as an essay or coursework, makes things sink in because the thought processes involved are; you read it, you regurgitate those thoughts and ideas, and read it again so you fully understand. Exams aren't usually as thought provoking or difficult as coursework anyway, coursework looks deep into the subjects asking for alot of information, why exams tend to just skim above that.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!