PDA

View Full Version : (+14rep) Comp running slow?!

Ostinato
17-09-2009, 10:58 AM
Hiya.
I bought a new computer last year for starting uni and tried to get a good one so it would last me so it has 3gb ram and stuff and has always been quite fast and had no major probs with it.

However, lately it has really really started to slow down a lot!

For instance when I log on, it will take a good minute or so before anything even really starts up (in particular my antivirus nod32). Also I have been getting a lot of crashes in browsers and stuff - particularly firefox. Basically every time I am in firefox it ends up freezing, not responding and crashing. So annoying :@

I don't particularly have LOADS on my computer either, just really songs and pictures but nothing extreme.

I have one of those wee cpu usage reader things in my sidebar, and when I turned the computer on the cpu usage was at like 98% when things were starting up.. and now I am just sitting typing here it is at 57% which seems a bit high considering all I actually have open is firefox!

Im thinking I will just remove firefox anyway and get smoething else.

I was wondering if my hd was getting full or something, but in my comuter its as though I have two?
I have one which is called "Vista (C:)" which is pretty much full - and then another one which is called Data (E:) which is empty.

PLEASE help me!
I ahve ran antivirus, disk defrag, computer cleanup, done a lot I can think and uninstalled stupid programs!

Thanks and I will give +rep!

N!ck
17-09-2009, 11:52 AM
Download, run and post the log file from this. http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/ You may need to go on the one that says system scan and save logfile then copy + paste it.

Pyroka
17-09-2009, 12:06 PM
Yknow it could just be that you're initiating a load of startup programs when you first load up, that can slow it down so badly. NOD32 for example, that'd slow it up quite much. I'd check that out.

Black_Apalachi
17-09-2009, 12:38 PM
The only contribution I can make is that Firefox ended up exactly the same for me so I turned to Chrome and haven't had any problems with it so far. The only thing it lacks is Adblock Plus but that's not a big deal for me.

Ostinato
17-09-2009, 01:15 PM
I don't really have much at startup tbh... And yeh I am about to get chrome.

AgnesIO
17-09-2009, 02:10 PM
I would reccomend Safari IE for speed.

You could also download CCleaner, download link: http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Once downloaded open it and change the settings to 'Guttman'.

To do this, click:

Options
Settings
Sercure File Deletion
Click Guttman.
Once done click 'Cleaner' and click 'Run'. This will tae sometime as it is checking for files 35 times - although it won't take more than ten minutes (depending on how much u have on your pc.)

---

If this fails to work run an A. I would reccomend AVG Free. Download link: http://filehippo.com/download_avg_antivirus/

Once downloaded run the scan, as it may be you have a virus.

---

You may also want to run disk defragmenter. You do get one with the computer, but I personally always use Defraggler. Made by the same pople who make CCleaner, it is an outstanding program. Download link: http://filehippo.com/download_defraggler/
Analyza then defrag the pc, this may also speed up your pc.

Hope this helped!

P.S. I know you have run the other things, but it is worth a try trying different things :D

Laurensh1
17-09-2009, 02:36 PM
I always use CCleaner and QuickStart up to disable programs that aren't necessary to run at startup, it saves loads of time!

The Professor
17-09-2009, 02:57 PM
yeah or you could go to run --> msconfig and and go to "startup" and untick programs you don't need at startup that way. when everything's loaded up go to the task manager and go to "processes" and click "cpu" twice, whatever's at the top will be eating up the most cpu power and you'll know what's slowing it down!

Laurensh1
17-09-2009, 03:02 PM
yeah or you could go to run --> msconfig and and go to "startup" and untick programs you don't need at startup that way. when everything's loaded up go to the task manager and go to "processes" and click "cpu" twice, whatever's at the top will be eating up the most cpu power and you'll know what's slowing it down!
Quickstartup tells you which ones you can disable ;)
For the not that experts who want to save startup time :P

StefanWolves
17-09-2009, 03:04 PM
If it's that slow you may even have a virus, have you scanned your PC?

Markeh
17-09-2009, 03:16 PM
Hiya.
I bought a new computer last year for starting uni and tried to get a good one so it would last me so it has 3gb ram and stuff and has always been quite fast and had no major probs with it.

However, lately it has really really started to slow down a lot!

For instance when I log on, it will take a good minute or so before anything even really starts up (in particular my antivirus nod32). Also I have been getting a lot of crashes in browsers and stuff - particularly firefox. Basically every time I am in firefox it ends up freezing, not responding and crashing. So annoying :@

I don't particularly have LOADS on my computer either, just really songs and pictures but nothing extreme.

I have one of those wee cpu usage reader things in my sidebar, and when I turned the computer on the cpu usage was at like 98% when things were starting up.. and now I am just sitting typing here it is at 57% which seems a bit high considering all I actually have open is firefox!

Im thinking I will just remove firefox anyway and get smoething else.

I was wondering if my hd was getting full or something, but in my comuter its as though I have two?
I have one which is called "Vista (C:)" which is pretty much full - and then another one which is called Data (E:) which is empty.

PLEASE help me!
I ahve ran antivirus, disk defrag, computer cleanup, done a lot I can think and uninstalled stupid programs!

Thanks and I will give +rep!

Use CCleaner as suggested before. Keep it anyway, as its handy to remove unnecessary startup items.

Is your machine a laptop?

Try upgrading the RAM to 4Gb.

The HDD in your PC is partitioned. You should move your music and pictures to the E: drive. It is kinda called Data for a reason. As a small point, keep your uni stuff on the E: drive too, as if your PC has a hidden recovery partition, and you somehow need it, some only clear the C: drive, and not any other partitions, therefore saving your data.

By any chance, is your computer a Toshiba? Our old Toshiba laptop was partitioned as Vista C: and Data E: drive too.

Do you leave anything plugged in while starting up the machine (external HDDs, external disk drives, USB sticks)? That could be slowing the machine down.

Could you post your system specs too, as that would help us a bit.

AgnesIO
17-09-2009, 05:12 PM
I always use CCleaner and QuickStart up to disable programs that aren't necessary to run at startup, it saves loads of time!

You can actually use CCleaner to do that!

Tools
Startup

Has all the programs that run on startup!

Laurensh1
17-09-2009, 08:05 PM
You can actually use CCleaner to do that!

Tools
Startup

Has all the programs that run on startup!Yes, but it doesn't explain which ones can be turned off (for the program to be able to run or if they are needed). Or web pages where people can write their comments about it...

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!