PDA

View Full Version : Got another RAM issueee

Pyroka
17-09-2009, 11:43 AM
WOO HOO! Yeah I got my RAM through, 1066 OCZ Reaper 2x2GB sticks.

Problem is my computer isn't having the 1066Mhz RAM by a long shot, because of limitations of the AM2+ sockets and all that jazz.

So, I put this to you, the HabboxForum (amazing) Tech community, I paid about £55 for this RAM which I think I can only get 800Mhz out of AT THE MOMENT. I can always keep the RAM and when I upgrade, do it up to what its supposed to and watch it flyyy. Orrr... I can get my money back on the RAM and buy an 800Mhz 2x2GB pack instead, maybe even more since yknow, 55 quid.

I've been playing around with the timings on my chips atm and I can get it onto about 5-4-4-15 (I think it was that), on 800Mhz. Would I be better to see how low I can get them before they're stable, and then when I upgrade next year just get a new mobo and processor and do it all up? I was planning to upgrade to Intel next year when I have more money anyway.

I'll have to wait a while too because I'm going uni in a few days and it'll be from my house and back then up to my dorm... Could take a few weeks which I dont exactly have >.>

What do you think? Is it worth keeping em or returning em?

N!ck
17-09-2009, 11:54 AM
Change the voltage to whatever it says on the side of the RAM/packet (may be 1.8, 1.9, 2.0, 2.1 or 2.2v usually). Set the everything elso on auto (including the timings) and restart. If it still only does 800Mhz then manually change the frequency to 1066.

Pyroka
17-09-2009, 12:03 PM
I've sorta tried that :P It'll only run on 800mhz for some reason, I have no idea why.... meh I'll have a try anyway, because I think I've got the right settings if I wanna keep these sticks as 800mhz sticks.

It'll cost me about 10 quid less to get 800mhz 2x2GB sticks so I might as well keep them. The bloody same version of these sticks, costs £60 FOR THE 800MHZ VERSION. WHAAAAT?

-
Anywee, I'm doing a memtest86 on the 1066Mhz settings, I have a feeling that the voltage might've been wrong because I've passed all memtests except 7 & 8. Currently 7 is doing fine after upping the voltage to 2.3, 0.1v more than it says I should but meh, maybe I was supposed to because it seems to work now. I'm not gonna jinx that cuz I've still got 78% left of test 7, however if test 8 passes then it must be stable on 1066mhz ;o

Merged by Laurensh1 (Forum Moderator).

Stephen!
17-09-2009, 03:03 PM
A mystery. It should be able to run at 1066 on the stock voltage

Pyroka
17-09-2009, 11:36 PM
Ok its stable on the stock voltage and all the settings it should be stable on. However when I even TRY to overclock my CPU it just wont have it. Would I be better to revert to a 800 freq, lower voltage slightly and just get higher timings and a higher CPU ratio?

I'm not sure what I'd benefit from more. Oh I'm getting an SSD too soon, so I would be noticing the speed differences.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!