PDA

View Full Version : HardDrive

Inscribe
18-09-2009, 12:17 AM
My old pc broke and i took the harddrive out, it has stuff on it that i need.

Is there anyway to connect it to my new pc so i can get all the files on it?
I tried to plug it into my pc but theres no room.

So what im wondering is if, i can use an internal harddrive on a diff pc or if theres other ways?

thanks

Pyroka
18-09-2009, 12:24 AM
Damn, I'm going to sleep now so I'll answer in the morning, but few questions:

Is your HDD SATA, SATA II or IDE? (Comparison: http://jekkilekki.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/sata-ide-laptop-hard-drive.jpg)

Do you have any other PCs, like a friends PC or something, to use?

Was it the hard drive which broke the computer, or was that intact?

How big is your HDD?

When did you buy the computer that you got your hard drive with, is it old?

Is there any serial codes on your hard drive, or any make of any kind?

I'll see if I can help after I get some sleep, however the way its looking you might have to spill a bit of dosh to get all your stuff onto another drive.

Inscribe
18-09-2009, 12:32 AM
The harddrive is a 'Enhanced IDE hard drive & its 80.0GB
I have a acer aspire l3600, and because of the size the harddrive wont go in. Ionly got 2 laptops in the house no other dekstop.

My pc got bsod, so i just got a new one, and it was fairly old.

its a western digital WD800

Thanks for any help.

The Professor
18-09-2009, 02:54 PM
Grab the IDE cable (the grey ribbony one) from the old computer along with the hard drive, take them to the other computer and find a place for the grey ribbony cable to plug in on the motherboard (if there isn't any space, unplug the one attached to the optical drive, it isn't vital). Find a 4 pin power cable that's spare (again, if there isn't one that's spare, steal it from the disk drive) and plug that in. Now, if there isn't space in the case for it, put it on some cardboard or something like that and lay it down on the floor, make sure no-one steps on it or anything. Boot up the computer and with any luck it will see the other hard drive and you'll be able to copy the stuff over.

If it doesn't see it, switch the computer off and move the little piece of plastic on the end of the drive (same side as where you plugged the cable in) onto a different set of pins and boot it up again. If it doesn't work, rinse and repeat. If none of them work, you've done something wrong, I've told you wrong or the drive is buggered :P

Hope that was relatively helpful!

paul4wolves
18-09-2009, 03:23 PM
The harddrive is a 'Enhanced IDE hard drive & its 80.0GB
I have a acer aspire l3600, and because of the size the harddrive wont go in. Ionly got 2 laptops in the house no other dekstop.

My pc got bsod, so i just got a new one, and it was fairly old.

its a western digital WD800

Thanks for any help.

You could just buy a usb IDE hard drive case which you put the hard drive in and you can connect it to your usb ports - this means you don't have to open your new computer up :D

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!