PDA

View Full Version : United States European Missile Defence Shield, scrapped.

UKIP
18-09-2009, 04:12 PM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00430/obama_bush_pano_430769a.jpg

Russian President Dmitry Medvedev has welcomed as "positive" the US decision to shelve controversial missile defence bases in Poland and the Czech Republic.
Mr Medvedev said there were now "good conditions" for US-Russia talks on tackling missile proliferation. US President Barack Obama had earlier announced there would be a shift in US missile defence strategy, following a review of the threat posed by Iran. Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said it was a "correct and brave" move.

However, US Republicans have called the decision "short-sighted" and "harmful". Some said it was a concession to Moscow with nothing in return. Russia had long objected to plans pursued by the administration of former-President George W Bush to base a missile interceptor system close to its borders, calling it a threat to its security.

I'm split on the issue, while I think the real issue is the Peoples Republic of China rather than the Russian Federation or Iran for that matter, I think this is only showing how bankrupt the United States actually is at the moment and its worrying.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!