PDA

View Full Version : Somebody please tell me how XBL is better than PSN?

Fez
23-09-2009, 06:10 PM
Let's not let this become a shameless "NO IM BETTER" "NO, PS3 BETTER" "NO 360 BETTER" argument, please let's keep this on topic.

I honestly don't see what's different between the PSN or the XBL, I'm not going to say any of them are better, they're both completely the same thing. Except maybe the XBL outrumps in a few areas, but we trump back.

1. XBLA

Obviously Microsoft has giant publisher support, who regulary pick up new developers. New developers who can get acquainted with the XBLA Dev tools very quickly and ship them out. As far as I've been told, these dev kits are very similar to the PSN kits, but then again I don't know anything :). XBLA obviously has more titles, and better titles, because its been around longer. Plus the fact that Microsoft knows just about everybody in the biz now.

2. Friends

I can look at my friends in game on PSN and I can do the same on the XBL, I can send messages, voice messages and such through XBL and I can do the same thing on PSN (bar the voice messaging feature, which will probably be in a future firmware update). The party system on XBL is obviously a huge 'out-trumper' but I think Sony has experimented with putting it on the PSN. As I can recall, it was on the feature list for one of the 2.XX updatest. If there's anything else about friends I've missed out, do nudge me.

3. Multiplayer

I hate the words "i get a **** connection on ps3 games but ace on 360.", that's usually mentioned in real life rather than here. But I've heard it around these parts at some point. The real problem with multiplayer on the PS3 platform isn't Sony, or PSN or anything to do with us. It's the publishers. Name any major multiplatform release and nine times out of ten it would have been developed with the 360 in mind. The publishers themselves will buy servers for multiplayer on all the platforms, but since it will sell better on the 360, they'll buy better servers for them. They'll buy cheaper servers for PS3 simply because they still want a slice of the pie, but the slice of the pie isn't worth really bothering with. It all comes down to costs and greediness.

4. Costs

Now this is were some things start to get very interesting. I'll just be like Lalalala, putting in my credit card details and such on PSN and then I'll see Battlefield 1943 for £9.99, I'll be like "Oooh, cool.", I'll add to my basket and then remember it's on the XBL Marketplace too. Because I'm a cheapo, I'll see if it's a better price, so I'll hop on my Xbox and check the price. 1200 MSPoints. Okay...

£10.20.

Small difference, I know, but it's all the little pennies that make up a pound and really I think this is the same across the board. Although I can see some exceptions (Each Fallout 3 PS3 DLC is priced at £9.99, whereas the XBL versions are priced at 800 MSpoints, £6.80), but really they're just around the same price. I can see why they some times charge more on the PSN, because of the server prices that Sony gets publishers to pay for. Which is far and everything. Microsoft pay for every single XBL server out there from the subscriptions that they get, plus they're a major publisher of most XBLA titles too so they get more than enough cake.

5. Subscriptions.

Pretty obvious, £40 for XBL and nothing for PSN... or so it seems. As I outlined above, there's a lot of hidden costs in PSN. From more pennies to pounds on downloadable games or DLC, to even the lack of a headset coming with the system. With all this being said, I still think you'll end up paying the same amount for either service in the end. £40 for a whole year of XBL is actually, in my opinion, a lot of money for a very nice service. The one time my Xbox RROD, I got it back in one week. Very helpful service.

6. Visuals + Simplicity

I hate debating visuals and shizzle, so I included the topic of simplicity. The way your browse for your friends and through the marketplace. With PSN you hop on the store, look at 'What's New' for new shizzle or go into different categories to find what you want. It's the same thing with XBL, basically, although you can buy game DLC while in-game (I think).

In-game XMB on the PS3 can't be any easier to manage. PS button -> Scroll right -> Friends -> Create Message -> To: StichRFC -> Add Reply: LOL U SUCK -> Send. It's just about the same thing on XBL too. Although you get animations and avatars on XBL which add a sort of empty feeling of "Yeah this is better."... but is it really? I don't care whether a game looks good or not, I care how it plays. So I'm really not going to care that much when going through my friends list and, in my opinion, small little avatars next to big bold names is better than some avatar dude with the name etched below it.

7. Community

I hate (<- my favourite word) the fact that some people think the ''360 is for chavs.'' or ''PS3 is for old guys with money.", because really I've had a friendly experience on both. I've met whiney, twelve year old boys on both formats and I've met nice friendly people on both systems. I can even meet them up in a party on XBL or in Home (which I'll get to in a minute). The community on 360 is huge and bigger than the PS3 simply because of its install base and its price point. The same thing would happen if the PS3 launched earlier and at a lower price.

Really the only thing I find different between the two is that I find more people with mics on the 360, as you have to buy one yourself with a PS3. Although I don't care because I'm too busy owning :8

8. Home

This deserves its own topic, because quite frankly, it's pointless. Why do you need to meet in a virtual space, which takes hours of updates and installs, then downloads WITHIN itself? I don't really see the point of it over than meeting up to play bowling, that's what it is to me, free bowling. I don't want to spend twenty minutes plobbing about into Home, waiting for the download to finish of the meeting space, wait for it to load, type fumbly on the PS3 controller... I just want to communicate with my friends. I don't need to go into a virtual place to say "Hay, wanna game of uncharted 2?", "Sure.", that's what messaging was invented for.

Not really a negative thing for PSN, just pointless. Thank god Microsoft didn't follow the lead.

9. Extras

Webcams and accessories work fine with both my PS3 and 360. I need a wireless adaptor for my 360, which cost me a drab price of £60, but I think most people of wired connections anyway. The PSeye with the PS3 has some real nice quality, the Live Vision camera offers just about the same... so what gives? Any out-trumps in this department?

Texting?

I can quickly slide over the letters on my PS3 controller, but I can't do it with the 360 controller. This won't be a problem for many, since I've had my PS3 since just after launch and only got my 360 a year ago. From what I've seen, my friend types so fast on his 360 controller that he has to wait for the message to load, they're the same as each other. I use a USB keyboard now anyway because I'm cool :8.

There you have it, feel free to reply, blam, hate, debate or whatever.

tl;dr version: PSN = XBL

[Chris]
23-09-2009, 06:20 PM
Finally.. Someone With Sense.. +rep

I Agree.. I'd rather pay, and get what i pay for..

dbgtz
23-09-2009, 06:26 PM
Home now is like a load of mini games but I hate the fact you have to redownload the rooms and stuff after EVERY update.

But ye theyre practically the same. Personally I prefer the ps3s XMB. Yes ive used both.

lBlue
23-09-2009, 06:31 PM
4. Costs

Now this is were some things start to get very interesting. I'll just be like Lalalala, putting in my credit card details and such on PSN and then I'll see Battlefield 1943 for £9.99, I'll be like "Oooh, cool.", I'll add to my basket and then remember it's on the XBL Marketplace too. Because I'm a cheapo, I'll see if it's a better price, so I'll hop on my Xbox and check the price. 1200 MSPoints. Okay...

£10.20.

Small difference, I know, but it's all the little pennies that make up a pound and really I think this is the same across the board. Although I can see some exceptions (Each Fallout 3 PS3 DLC is priced at £9.99, whereas the XBL versions are priced at 800 MSpoints, £6.80), but really they're just around the same price. I can see why they some times charge more on the PSN, because of the server prices that Sony gets publishers to pay for. Which is far and everything. Microsoft pay for every single XBL server out there from the subscriptions that they get, plus they're a major publisher of most XBLA titles too so they get more than enough cake.

So one thing is around 21p cheaper on the PSN than on XL and it's "every penny counts" however when something is nearing £4.00 cheaper on XL it's "just around the same price". Eh?

Can't be arsed typing so I'll simply put "Prefer Xbox Live" and come back to this thread when I can be arsed explaining my point.

Stitch
23-09-2009, 06:34 PM
PS button -> Scroll right -> Friends -> Create Message -> To: StichRFC -> Add Reply: LOL U SUCK -> Send.

I think you sent the message to the wrong person. :P

MrPinkPanther
23-09-2009, 06:35 PM
So one thing is around 21p cheaper on the PSN than on XL and it's "every penny counts" however when something is nearing £4.00 cheaper on XL it's "just around the same price". Eh?

Can't be arsed typing so I'll simply put "Prefer Xbox Live" and come back to this thread when I can be arsed explaining my point.
I'm not an Xbox fan, infact I prefer PS3 but I have to agree and I do prefer XBL to PS3. It's not neccesarily Sonys fault but the 360 online experience is better none the less.

dbgtz
23-09-2009, 06:38 PM
I dont understand whats meant by the online experience is better. If 100k is on ps3 for cod and 150k for 360, it doesnt make a difference whatsoever how many people you would play in a tdm, itll stay 12. :S

ItsDave
23-09-2009, 06:54 PM
Why did you ask a question when you answeared it yourself?

Fez
23-09-2009, 07:00 PM
Why did you ask a question when you answeared it yourself?
Because I'm that cool.

I dont understand whats meant by the online experience is better. If 100k is on ps3 for cod and 150k for 360, it doesnt make a difference whatsoever how many people you would play in a tdm, itll stay 12.

Because the numbers are more bigger than 100k on ps3 and 150k on 360. Last I checked (Call of Duty World at War), 100k on the PS3 and over 500k on the 360. That's a big difference.

Righto this is where things get complicated. PSN still has server charges, just as much as XBL. Thus, some titles and DLC cost more and some don't. It's really just one big price war, with (I have to let this one go) Microsoft taking the cake. More than half of the stuff on PSN, cost less on XBL.

And yeah, they are around the same price. I consider same price to be more like £5. Although you can have your own opinion.

As another little personal insight, I think MSpoints are a bunch of bull to hide the hidden costs and such. Sure they're simple but I'd prefer just getting a £10 Live card or something.

dbgtz
23-09-2009, 07:02 PM
Those numbers were just guesses saying that just becuase the 360 has more on a well known game doesnt make any difference really.

Simmzay
23-09-2009, 07:03 PM
Functionality and accessibility

Fez
23-09-2009, 07:04 PM
Those numbers were just guesses saying that just becuase the 360 has more on a well known game doesnt make any difference really.

Well, really, any multiplatform game with multiplayer is going to have bigger numbers on the 360. Thus the online performance and server issues with the PS3. Saying that, not all multiplatform games on the PS3 have server issues and such.

ItsDave
23-09-2009, 07:19 PM
360 ftw tbh

Jord
23-09-2009, 07:24 PM

£10.20.

Ms points £18

Its £8.50 For half, 1100

1200 = Id say around £9/£9.50

Andeeh
23-09-2009, 07:37 PM
tbh all im going to say is people can get what online experience they prefer. Personally i prefer xbl because im not gonna get a ps3 now i have a 360.

J0SH
23-09-2009, 07:46 PM
I'm on the dark skin so I can't read your purple font.

Black_Apalachi
23-09-2009, 07:53 PM
Really good post, +rep :).

I must avoid rambling on about the consoles themselves here but I think XBL offers the better experience, and so it should at £40p/a versus PSN which is free. Although I hardly ever use the thing anyway (only GTA IV when it came out and more recently CoD4) I'm still alright with paying the money.

I don't care whose fault it is - I just find PSN really annoying at times. The main thing I've played on PSN is Fifa 09 and it is just so aggravating. About 50% of the time it loses the connection with other player or it gets to the team selection page and becomes unresponsive. Maybe it's not Sony's fault or whatever, like I said I don't care. All I know is I paid what... about £300 for the bloody thing so I expect better.

Yeah XBL requires a subscription and yeah I had to buy a wireless adapter but as well as the price differences in downloadable content mentioned in the OP, think about the price differences in the consoles themselves! Then there's the lack of headset with the PS3 so I really don't think just saying 'well PSN is free' holds any value tbh.

When it comes to buying games, although I paid for both consoles, the 360 is more my brother's and is in his room, so I'd naturally prefer to buy the game for PS3. But when I think about playing online, I'm kind of thinking there's a high chance trying to play it online will be somewhat stressful and then as I've already got a subscription to XBL, I may as well just get it for 360.

The one thing I would say, is that the subscription should be for your console, not each individual account. It sucks that me and my brother both need separate subscriptions.

As for the avatars etc, the Xbox is probably aimed at a younger market to who all that kind of stuff is appealing whereas the PS3 tries to be more sophisticated and is marketed as more than a games console. However I find general scoring on games a lot easier to follow on the 360 (although I won't go into this as it may be due to the games I've played on wither console).

I actually thought PSN's 'Homes' was fantastic when I first had a look at it and everyone was running around with Rorschach masks (I'd just seen Watchmen :P), but yeah, it's basically their answer to the standard Xbox headset and the novelty wears off after an hour or so exploring.

Btw, this is all coming from a PlayStation "fanboy". I had hardly ever even seen an Xbox until I bought a 360 and always thought they were awful looking hunks of **** but to be fair, I have enjoyed it a million times more than my PS3. Whenever I have this discussion irl with my mates (who are probably also PS FBs as they've only had PS2/3s), they just disregard any valid point I make and insist the PS3/PSN is better. They never really have anything to back-up their statement though :rolleyes:.

Just to stray slightly off topic; I love the fact I can plug in my iPod and play music on the 360. Seems like such a trivial feature yet the PS3 doesn't have it. The flexibility of the controllers in terms of power (batteries/power pack/cable), is also really useful at times.

tl;dr version: XBL > PSN (loved that little note :P)

Fez
23-09-2009, 08:04 PM
£10.20.

Ms points £18

Its £8.50 For half, 1100

1200 = Id say around £9/£9.50

Well it's fifty cheaper, still around the same price. I guess we all get a fair price, Sony can't exactly charge us £9.50 exactly due to tax laws and such (most products and goods, even online, have to have a .99 at the end)

I'm on the dark skin so I can't read your purple font.

Copy and paste into wordpad or something.

Oh and

dark skin

Racist ;/

(Joke)

tl;dr version: XBL > PSN (loved that little note )

I can understand where you're coming from, and really if I had actual games to play on my 360, I'd prefer XBL. I only really got it for the GTA IV DLC, L4D and Mass Effect. I'm born and bred PSN but since I'm fanboy neutral, I think they're just around the same.

I think what we all have to understand is that PSN is a VERY young service, by this time, XBL didn't even have the video marketplace, a party system, avatar support or any of the fancy doodads that you're used to. Pretty much in the next year or so, the service will evolve on par with what XBL currently is.

Black_Apalachi
23-09-2009, 08:13 PM
I can understand where you're coming from, and really if I had actual games to play on my 360, I'd prefer XBL. I only really got it for the GTA IV DLC, L4D and Mass Effect. I'm born and bred PSN but since I'm fanboy neutral, I think they're just around the same.

I think what we all have to understand is that PSN is a VERY young service, by this time, XBL didn't even have the video marketplace, a party system, avatar support or any of the fancy doodads that you're used to. Pretty much in the next year or so, the service will evolve on par with what XBL currently is.

It's not like Sony know nothing about it and can't do any research surely? And aren't we forgetting that the PS2 had online play? (Not that I ever had the chance to use it lol).

Copy and paste into wordpad or something.

Ha, you expect anyone to do that? :P They could just highlight it though.

Fez
23-09-2009, 08:17 PM
It's not like Sony know nothing about it and can't do any research surely? And aren't we forgetting that the PS2 had online play? (Not that I ever had the chance to use it lol).

Yeah but this new fangaled internet is too much for Sony to handle, by the time the 360 was out, they were still sucking the life blood out of the PS2... so to speak :)

I never played PS2 online. Didn't hear about it until just a month before PS3's release, oddly enough.

Ha, you expect anyone to do that? :P They could just highlight it though.

I just like to waste peoples time, thus, this thread.

Black_Apalachi
23-09-2009, 08:28 PM
I wouldn't say sucking the life out of the PS2, I still love PS2s and am ashamed to say my brother sold ours. I would even go as far as to say I like it better than the PS3 :P.

dbgtz
23-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Id say at the time I was more in love with the ps2 then I am with the ps3 :D I wished sony kept ps2 backwards compatibility even if it did cost a little more.

Fez
23-09-2009, 08:34 PM
Neither would I like to say it that way, but that is what they were doing.

According to a rumour, SEGA plan to release Dreamcast games on the PSN and full downloadable PS2 games are coming to PSN too.

I hope so :)

Black_Apalachi
23-09-2009, 08:45 PM
Neither would I like to say it that way, but that is what they were doing.

According to a rumour, SEGA plan to release Dreamcast games on the PSN and full downloadable PS2 games are coming to PSN too.

I hope so :)

Yeah but that's just a slap in the face really to those of us with libraries of hundreds of PS2 games; 'sure we'll let you play them soon, but you'll have to buy them again' :rolleyes:.

kk.
23-09-2009, 11:52 PM
Ye cba to read the whole thread, I have read some, and tried to read the first one but because of ur purple font...

Tbh, th community on the xbox is far greater than the ps3 simply base on the fact that you get a free headset and more people talk online than the ps3. The amount of time I've spent on my 360 is tiny compared to ps3 but the experience has been better online I think. Videos are easier to watch too, as u don't need to go on psstore etc

PaulMacC
24-09-2009, 12:35 AM
I prefer XBL. I've tried both of the systems and I can tell from playing Call of Duty 4 a lot the matchmaking and host system is better on the 360. Although Call of Duty 4's matchmaking and host system is terrible anyway but it's a bit better on 360.
Other than that the systems are pretty much the same, might be a few issues but I prefer the 360 as a console than the PS3 although at the end of the day it's not my choice which service I choose as I cant really pick PSN if I own a 360.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!