PDA

View Full Version : Human Extinction

The Don
24-09-2009, 03:19 PM
Do you think that the human race will ever end? And if so for what reason? I don't think it will, unless the universe ends, whats everyone elses opinions?

ecstasy
24-09-2009, 03:30 PM
If we're not living somewhere else by the time the sun dies it will obviously
I dont think it will die out by any other means though

-:Undertaker:-
24-09-2009, 03:37 PM
It all depends on politics, nature and so on.. the one thing we cannot stop though is the gene pool ceasing itself, as has happend with other animals in history who are no longer here because of that.

e5
24-09-2009, 03:40 PM
Aslong as people still have sex and produce babies, Nooope.

paul4wolves
24-09-2009, 03:43 PM
I think there will be a disease maybe -like swine flu but worse...

Ardemax
24-09-2009, 05:23 PM
it depends on politics? wht r u playin at :S

no it won't be ending anytime soon

Nemo
24-09-2009, 05:26 PM
it depends on politics? wht r u playin at :S

no it won't be ending anytime soon
Nuclear war etc. etc.

ifuseekamy
24-09-2009, 07:29 PM
The world is already overpopulated, if it carries on not only will resources be drained but it will continue adding to social and environmental problems.

N!ck
24-09-2009, 07:36 PM
Yes. As time tends towards infinity the probability that humans become extinct tends to 1. That's no matter what we do/where we move to/any technological advances.

jackass
24-09-2009, 07:43 PM
Yes, it's inevitable at some point.

My guess is either through disease (a global pandemic) or through war (a nuclear war).

Agnostic Bear
24-09-2009, 07:44 PM
If we manage to colonize other planets with resources, then no, the human race will never die. Ever.

Jordy
24-09-2009, 07:53 PM
If we manage to colonize other planets with resources, then no, the human race will never die. Ever.Good point that, if we spread ourselves out across the Universe then even a disease wouldn't be able to wipe out the human race.

Disease is quite a threat at the moment and so is Nuclear War but even if those things happened, there would always be a few humans left even if it's very few. Currently the only way to wipe out the human race in my opinion is for Earth to disappear or something, most probably by an asteroid hitting Earth.

Fez
24-09-2009, 07:57 PM
Everything that has a beginning, has an end.

N!ck
24-09-2009, 08:00 PM
If we manage to colonize other planets with resources, then no, the human race will never die. Ever.

Wrong. It's simple mathematics.

GommeInc
24-09-2009, 09:09 PM
Hard to say, war is a bit odd to suggest as there are bigger chances of a select few people surviving from war, especially nuclear war. Chemical warfare in the form of toxins and deadly diseases (which is improbable, but possible if a mad scientist lacks the idea of human survival and just wants end of it all :P). Nuclear war won't kill of all humans, when nuclear bunkers exist for the very reason of surviving a nuclear war, and with modern day technology and defenses, the chance of any nuclear device entering a country (and in this case, all countries) is nearly impossible :/

I'm going with something like the end of the world, a disease would be difficult to think of especially when diseases tend to die out before the species.

FlyingJesus
24-09-2009, 09:42 PM

A common cold is worse than swine flu lol

-Heart
24-09-2009, 09:49 PM
A common cold is worse than swine flu lol

^^^^^.

jacko2244
24-09-2009, 09:58 PM

Agreed.

Mint
24-09-2009, 11:55 PM
It would have to be something reeeeeally complex to wipe all of the human race out, or maybe not so complex if it's as simple as a nuclear war. The thing is, humans are way to intelligent to die out. If there was a killer disease then we would most likely make a vaccination to it. We would most likely find our way around pretty much anything, unlike other species on this earth.

kk.
25-09-2009, 12:09 AM
It's inevitable. Any one that thinks otherwise is naive and foolish.

FlyingJesus
25-09-2009, 01:35 AM
^^^^^.

Yeah I got that, I was just noting the poor choice of pandemic to note as herald to a true killer

It would have to be something reeeeeally complex to wipe all of the human race out, or maybe not so complex if it's as simple as a nuclear war. The thing is, humans are way to intelligent to die out. If there was a killer disease then we would most likely make a vaccination to it. We would most likely find our way around pretty much anything, unlike other species on this earth.

Every time we vaccinate, diseases mutate and evolve past it. They have the capability to evolve far faster than us hence needing science and all sorts to keep ourselves alive now, but as our medicines get stronger so do the viruses and that will always be a battle.

The only thing I think keeping us from being completely wiped out by disease is that there will always be people too remote for it to reach - entire countries can be devastated by outbreaks but I can't see any way that it could ever spread to everyone in the world. Unless there is something that entirely destroys the globe I don't see us being wiped out really, and that's not pride that's just logic. Anything we see as a threat we destroy and that's how it's always been

Black_Apalachi
25-09-2009, 03:41 AM
The way the world is now, and the direction it is going, I wouldn't want to be around in a hundred years or so. I don't think I'd even want to have been part of any generation later than my own actually.

VirtualG
25-09-2009, 06:32 AM
You'll get some sought of facist country that will try and attempt to committ genecide on another race but other countries will step in to stop them, they'll refuse the other nations are doing their best but fail and have to resort to nuclear weapons or very destructive weapons, the country will retalliate and bomb the United Nations (the actual countries not some building) and everyones just gonna bomb the F out of each other. Thats what would have probably happened in worldwar two if we had nuclear bombs when Germany was still winning and not about to lose because the good old, shoot them now, figure it out later spirit will come to light as the US attempts to bomb the enemy the enemy would bomb back, etc...

The Don
26-09-2009, 07:18 PM
I reckon with in 1000 years, we would have colonised another planet, then it would be way harder for the human race to die out.

AlexOC
26-09-2009, 07:34 PM
It's horrible to think about it, but we can't go on forever..... can we?

Sex is key.

GommeInc
26-09-2009, 07:45 PM
I remember hearing / reading somewhere that the male chromosome (Y I think?) is apparently dying out. But that's probably one of these Sun Newspaper articles - crap made up.

AlexOC
26-09-2009, 07:59 PM
I remember hearing / reading somewhere that the male chromosome (Y I think?) is apparently dying out. But that's probably one of these Sun Newspaper articles - crap made up.

I remember reading that, that the Y has only 200 genes left but the X about 1000.

But they said, it would never stop males being infertile.

efq
26-09-2009, 08:12 PM
If these stupid ass countries continue making nukes then it won't be long until one explodes either on purpose or by accident which of those who don't know what a nuke does then I will tell you.

I've been told if someone dropped a nuke, the wind would blow the chemicals around the world, nothing would grow and we would eventually starve to death also the radiation won't do to well for you.

Jahova
26-09-2009, 08:42 PM
The rate of contraception failure is getting higher each and every year. For reasons the experts do not even know. It is already happening.

AlexOC
26-09-2009, 09:03 PM
The rate of contraception failure is getting higher each and every year. For reasons the experts do not even know. It is already happening.

Too much Dr. Pepper.

Dr PePPeR kilz urr sperrmm!

FlyingJesus
27-09-2009, 01:01 PM

Even if it is true there are lab methods that could be done to get a woman pregnant without the help of a man (read it a looong time ago but never thought to mention it for basic male pride reasons :P) so it's fairly possible that we could end up a single sex race over the next few thousand years and still keep going

I'm guessing you meant conception failure? Contraception failure would imply MORE pregnancies rather than a fall in births

Pazza
27-09-2009, 05:37 PM
I believe quite the opposite, I think everything else will be drawn to extinction because of humans.

It's gotta happen, when the sun outlives its life, then earths right in its path and boom, we're living in a black hole ?

By then though, there'll be somewhere else to live, the moon has water on now actually.

GommeInc
27-09-2009, 06:03 PM
I remember reading that, that the Y has only 200 genes left but the X about 1000.

But they said, it would never stop males being infertile.
Might explain why men seem ditsy and die off quicker :D Generally speaking ;)

Even if it is true there are lab methods that could be done to get a woman pregnant without the help of a man (read it a looong time ago but never thought to mention it for basic male pride reasons :P) so it's fairly possible that we could end up a single sex race over the next few thousand years and still keep going
Think realistically here, dear ;) No woman is going to be able to do such a task without a man :O Besides, why get preggers. The pain would put them off that idea!

FlyingJesus
27-09-2009, 09:31 PM
Fine then we'll just splice our genes with plant cells so we can photosynthesise, then we'll never die

AlexOC
27-09-2009, 09:32 PM
Just watched 'Knowing' thats a very good 'end of the world' film, at the end someone on the 'chosen' (kids) are placed onto different planets, to like start again and create a new civilisation (promoting under-age sex eh?) and the whole earth is burnt up.

Very good film (Y)

Black_Apalachi
28-09-2009, 01:24 AM
Fine then we'll just splice our genes with plant cells so we can photosynthesise, then we'll never die

If the sun explodes/ends/goes away, this especially won't be a solution :P.

FlyingJesus
28-09-2009, 02:07 PM
BIG UV LIGHTS

Jordy
28-09-2009, 02:22 PM
If the sun explodes/ends/goes away, this especially won't be a solution :P.Nah in millions years when that happens to the Sun, we'll be way out of this galaxy seeing as there is little to colonize in this galaxy. Then the only threat is the Universe collapsing "inwards" which can happen anytime and would most probably be the end of everything.

Naruto!
29-09-2009, 02:39 PM
I hate thinking about that! I mean if the universe collapses inwards and the world ends.. then theres like.. nothing? lol if you get what I'm saying :s It's just so wierd

Trinity
30-09-2009, 12:38 AM
I like this thread.
I don't know a huge amount about evolution and all that jazz, but surely we would have evolved into a different species before the sun dies. Does evolution count as the human race dying out?
Like the mighty FlyingJesus said, it's unlikely that we'll be wiped out by a disease, because it won't be able to reach everyone. Well I guess it technically could, but that's unlikely.
Nuclear weapons and similar things are a major threat to the human race, so that's the only real threat that I can see. Well, that and dragons.

To answer the original question though, yes, the human race will end eventually.

kk.
30-09-2009, 12:59 AM
If the sun dies, everything else will. Plants need light to photosynthesise, which prdices o2. Not only that, but our planet, well, any planet, has a verty tight threshold that can support life. With no heat, we can't survive, we'll be colder than what Neptune is. That is of course if our sun doesn't explode/implode..

Trinity
30-09-2009, 01:16 AM
If the sun dies, everything else will. Plants need light to photosynthesise, which prdices o2. Not only that, but our planet, well, any planet, has a verty tight threshold that can support life. With no heat, we can't survive, we'll be colder than what Neptune is. That is of course if our sun doesn't explode/implode..

The sun won't die for a long time though. I don't think it will anyway, I forgot when it's predicted to die. By the time it goes boom, we'll *hopefully* have moved into a different galaxy, although I can't see that happening.

ifuseekamy
30-09-2009, 03:13 AM
There is always the far-fetched risk of an alien invasion. Although there's not much need to worry, almost all end-of-life theories wouldn't happen for thousands, if not millions/billions of years after we've all died.

Trinity
30-09-2009, 04:06 AM
There is always the far-fetched risk of an alien invasion. Although there's not much need to worry, almost all end-of-life theories wouldn't happen for thousands, if not millions/billions of years after we've all died.

Apart from the nuclear attack/similar weapons threat, that could quite easily happen in the not-so-distant future.

kk.
30-09-2009, 01:43 PM
The sun won't die for a long time though. I don't think it will anyway, I forgot when it's predicted to die. By the time it goes boom, we'll *hopefully* have moved into a different galaxy, although I can't see that happening.

o i know that, i did do gcse astronomy

AlexOC
30-09-2009, 03:18 PM
The hydrogen fueling the sun in the suns core should dry out in about 5 billion years.

Think WE might be dead by then, i am one of those people who think.. if it dosent happen to me then i dont care.

Soz ancestors.

FlyingJesus
30-09-2009, 03:26 PM
I think you mean descendants, I doubt many of your ancestors will be alive

AlexOC
30-09-2009, 03:27 PM
I think you mean descendants, I doubt many of your ancestors will be alive

Yep, ancestors are the ones before US ;), forgot xD

Immenseman
30-09-2009, 03:50 PM
eventually, yes. i guess it's inevitable it'll happen some time.

Flamedragon3
30-09-2009, 04:47 PM
There are so many different ways that the human race could end. We could easily bring the end to our race and so can nature. The list goes on and on with possibilities.

Religion - If you are a true Christian, then you will believe when God thinks humans have had enough, then he will bring us to an end (apocalypse) and only he knows when this day will come.

Theories - Scientist's believe that the Universe will eventually stop expanding as it collides with another Universe, and once that does happen, it will then begin to shrink back down to nothing, luckily were close to the centre of the Universe I think so we'll have a bit of time to wait for that to happen. :P

Mayan's - This is really interesting and creepy. These are people from over 5000 years ago and they made a calendar, which is relevant to us today. They created 364 days in a year, 30/31 days in a month, and the 24 hour time periods. Well scientist's have studied their pyramid's that they made, and their calendar ends on December 21 2012, and this was predicated by the Mayan's as the day the Universe will end. I don't think it will happy obviously, but if it did, at least we can give a round of applause for the Mayan's making such a brilliant prediction over 5000 years ago. :eusa_clap

Disease - Like many others have said, a disease as bad as swine flu could spread throughout the planet killing us all and with transportation these days (planes, boats) it shouldn't take too long for the whole planet to be infected.

Us - I can see this being one of the highest possibilities ending the human race... us. With the nuclear bombs and lack of love and peace it is likely we could bring a destructive end to ourselves. There should be though many survivors and if you've played Fallout 3 then you will know an accurate result of what could happen if nuclear bombs were to be set of throughout the world.

Nature - This is also what I think could be a result in the extinction to the human race, something as simple as a new species wiping us out (unlikely but possible) or a volcano erupting. You harm mother nature (deforestation), then she will bite back! :P

Universe - Scientifically, this should be the top way for the human race to become extinct. With meteorites floating around space, its only a matter of time before a reasonably sized one hits the Earth and brings destruction to it. The Sun will eventually either explode, or it will eventually lose control from the solar system and go out sucking up all the planets it can get to. And like I said before at the start, the Universe eventually expanding too far and colliding with another Universe, therefore making it shrink back down to nothing.

Sorry for that long essay, but I just had to put everything I could think of down. :D

This will interest a lot of you. :P http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKXX6Fwxk1Y

AlexOC
30-09-2009, 06:45 PM
That video ^ is pretty scary, to think that say a meteor hit Australia the debri could hit us.

Caution
30-09-2009, 06:48 PM
We have billions of years left. I'm not really too bothered about my descendants that far down the line to be honest.

JACKTARD
30-09-2009, 07:16 PM
it will eventually, still got a few thousand years at least though

here's a vid about nuclear warefare too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gT2gW1ppHY&feature=related

FlyingJesus
30-09-2009, 07:20 PM
Theories - Scientist's believe that the Universe will eventually stop expanding as it collides with another Universe, and once that does happen, it will then begin to shrink back down to nothing, luckily were close to the centre of the Universe I think so we'll have a bit of time to wait for that to happen. :P

Where the hell did you get that from? The universe is believed to be ever-expanding but I have never seen a theory about the entire universe collapsing in on itself because it hits another universe, nor have I ever known there to be evidence that we're near the centre of it

Neversoft
30-09-2009, 09:00 PM
In a couple of billion years the sun will have expanded so much that humanity will no longer be able to survive on the surface, nor underground. If we somehow survive 'til then, that is definitely when humanity will be wiped out. If by some miracle humanity survives even longer, there is a chance the sun will engulf the earth at it's expanded peak, which will of course leave nothing behind. The moon will collide with the earth half a billion years later if the earth does somehow manage to magically survive. However, I assume humanity will die out long before any of that happens. Some world affecting natural disaster or nuclear war is bound to happen. The population of the earth is also growing at a phenomenal rate, which is sure to be a problem in the future. Masses of people might have to be destroyed for others to survive.

Xoim
30-09-2009, 09:37 PM
I was taught this in science:

The sun will explode, when the explosion happens it will send everything out further and then it will be sucked back in again destroying everything in it's way Lul
Im terrible at explaining so knowing my luck im wrong! :L

Trollyroller
03-10-2009, 11:10 AM
No. Not anytime soon, but sometime in the future, quite possibly, don't have to much faith in humans...

Neversoft
03-10-2009, 07:42 PM
I was taught this in science:

The sun will explode, when the explosion happens it will send everything out further and then it will be sucked back in again destroying everything in it's way Lul
Im terrible at explaining so knowing my luck im wrong! :L

Tell your science teacher to get a new job. The sun will never explode. It will never enter the supernova stage. What it will do is expand into a red giant, and then eventually, after a billion years, swell to a white dwarf. Also, the sun could never 'suck' in planets unless it had an absolutely huge mass and collapsed in on itself forming a black hole.

Browney
03-10-2009, 08:35 PM
Overpopulation will lead to starvation, unhygenic conditions leading to disease that will spread quickly thanks to alot of people in not alot of space.

Gullable
03-10-2009, 08:44 PM
I hate thinking about that! I mean if the universe collapses inwards and the world ends.. then theres like.. nothing? lol if you get what I'm saying :s It's just so wierd
same i just watched 2012 trailer + im nearly crying, id forgot about 2012 and everythink & then that comes up + my throat gone tight nd im nearly in tears, yeah call me perfetic, when that big bang thing they said it was gunna blow the earth up it didnt so ?? the world wont end on 2012 will it :(:(:(:(

Caution
03-10-2009, 08:50 PM
same i just watched 2012 trailer + im nearly crying, id forgot about 2012 and everythink & then that comes up + my throat gone tight nd im nearly in tears, yeah call me perfetic, when that big bang thing they said it was gunna blow the earth up it didnt so ?? the world wont end on 2012 will it :(:(:(:(
:eusa_wall

Edited by invincible (Forum Super Moderator): Please don't post pointlessly.

Gullable
03-10-2009, 08:53 PM
dont do tht :(

Caution
03-10-2009, 08:55 PM
dont do tht :(
How did you manage to get an R in pathetic? :S

Gullable
03-10-2009, 08:59 PM
How did you manage to get an R in pathetic? :S
i dont know :l

ItsDave
03-10-2009, 11:30 PM
Nuke's.

Gullable
04-10-2009, 10:13 PM
will the world end on the 2012?

Jordy
04-10-2009, 10:19 PM
will the world end on the 2012?Yes unless the LHC gets there first!!!!!!!!!!

You don't by any chance think it might have been mentioned before if the world was going to end in 2012.

-Heart
04-10-2009, 10:21 PM
Your name is very ironic to this situation.

AlexOC
05-10-2009, 05:21 PM
Your name is very ironic to this situation.

LOL

Every year theres a new 'end of the world' date, means nothing.

AndyDude312
05-10-2009, 06:01 PM
Presuming we can counter-act global warming and don't destroy ourselves through war or creating a black hole or something, we will become extinct when the sun does. This is because we will never be able to leave our solar system as our nearest star is 10,000lightyears away and it is impossible to travel faster than the speed of light. If you go faster than light there is a conversion of kinetic energy to mass. Therefore a 10,000 year journey would be required. Everyone on board would die.

The Don
05-10-2009, 11:26 PM
Presuming we can counter-act global warming and don't destroy ourselves through war or creating a black hole or something, we will become extinct when the sun does. This is because we will never be able to leave our solar system as our nearest star is 10,000lightyears away and it is impossible to travel faster than the speed of light. If you go faster than light there is a conversion of kinetic energy to mass. Therefore a 10,000 year journey would be required. Everyone on board would die.
I'm pretty sure in like 1 million years time, well be able to go faster than the speed of light and will be in a different solar system

GommeInc
05-10-2009, 11:48 PM

I was more fascinated with how they managed to play Requiem for a Dream more than once. That songs seems to be the new epic song... Britains Got Talent/X Factor loved that song :/

Oleh
06-10-2009, 06:43 AM
All this 2012 world ending crap is just someone making stuff up, The mayan calender ends then, and the Maya calender begins :)

ItsDave
06-10-2009, 12:52 PM
Mayan's - This is really interesting and creepy. These are people from over 5000 years ago and they made a calendar, which is relevant to us today. They created 364 days in a year, 30/31 days in a month, and the 24 hour time periods. Well scientist's have studied their pyramid's that they made, and their calendar ends on December 21 2012, and this was predicated by the Mayan's as the day the Universe will end. I don't think it will happy obviously, but if it did, at least we can give a round of applause for the Mayan's making such a brilliant prediction over 5000 years ago. :eusa_clap

If you think that's creepy research Nostradamus, a man who lived 500 years ago predicts the same world ending tradgedy and has done many many more in the past, research him on google and stuff and you'll find some pretty shocking things.

ItsDave
06-10-2009, 12:57 PM

It will never cease to amaze me the videos about the World ending that have requiem for a Dream in it, and the scene out of Terminator 2, and I'd be really worried, check between like 00:40 to 01:00, you'll see a "nuke" tip sideways, then deploy and fly. Now not to be picky, but if you delpoyed a nuke, and it tipped slightly, you would cack your pants. So many Terminator 2 scenes.

Gullable
06-10-2009, 07:27 PM
will it end? on 2012?

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!