PDA

View Full Version : Desktop

Middlesbrough
24-09-2009, 09:37 PM
Hey, I'm looking for a custom made desktop PC - Hopefully around 200-300 quid with about 2-3ghz power?
Cheers.
EDIT: Not too bothered about anything else, good graphics card aswell please, cheers.

Stephen!
24-09-2009, 09:48 PM
Monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers included in that price?

Middlesbrough
25-09-2009, 06:24 PM
Monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers included in that price?
Nah (Makes longer)

Homosexual
25-09-2009, 08:28 PM
not custom made, but looks brilliant for the price: (no OS included)

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/173624

Jahova
25-09-2009, 08:30 PM
not custom made, but looks brilliant for the price: (no OS included)

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/173624
Not bad atall.

Middlesbrough
25-09-2009, 09:53 PM
Thanks for that, I don't nececeraly need a custom made one, just a good one (If anybody can find me cheap XP I will (L) them, i'm a noob for this stuff :)

Homosexual
25-09-2009, 09:58 PM
XP is around £60 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Windows-Home-Service-Pack-English/dp/B0018RCADO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1253915868&sr=8-1

Jordy
25-09-2009, 11:00 PM
XP is around £60 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Windows-Home-Service-Pack-English/dp/B0018RCADO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1253915868&sr=8-1You'd be an idiot to run XP on that, not to mention you'd have to use the dreadful 64-bit version. Windows 7 for all builds from now on or you probably have mental problems.

Middlesbrough
25-09-2009, 11:12 PM
You'd be an idiot to run XP on that, not to mention you'd have to use the dreadful 64-bit version. Windows 7 for all builds from now on or you probably have mental problems.

I would love to fork out that much for an OS. /sarcasm.

Homosexual
26-09-2009, 08:45 AM
Just clone your current HD :)

Chippiewill
26-09-2009, 12:59 PM
I would love to fork out that much for an OS. /sarcasm.

Actually Win7 is going to cost around £60-70 in some places anyway.

Middlesbrough
28-09-2009, 03:49 PM
Actually Win7 is going to cost around £60-70 in some places anyway.

I'd rather have XP to be quite frank.

Homosexual
28-09-2009, 03:51 PM
Why? Windows XP is full of bugs, one of the reasons why I upgraded. Windows 7 is aesthetically pleasing and easier to use. You'll fall in love with it :)

Recursion
28-09-2009, 03:57 PM

It's people like you who are holding this world back.

Homosexual
28-09-2009, 04:37 PM
Windows XP, whether it's SP1, 2 or 3, all include IE6 which is holding us back, Recursion :( Vista and Windows 7, however, tell a different story.

Chippiewill
28-09-2009, 09:22 PM

It's people like you that decide that [Insert Mission critical system here] should run on Windows XP.

List of 'Mission Critical' Systems:

Nuclear Power Station controls (Networked, never updated, you get the picture)
ATM Machines (Yes they have been hacked before, networked, never updated)
Tescos self service (Yes, they don't install updates, networked)
NHS Life Support machines (Networked, never updated, Conficker goodness hooked upto people on life support)
MRI Scanners (Brilliant, our personality is in the hands of someone who might take over the world)
US Presidential Electronic Voting Machines (Black vote, or Hack Vote?, networked to central DBs)

Jordy
29-09-2009, 06:39 AM
I'm not gonna help or give any advice on someone who's building a computer for Windows XP when Windows 7 is released within weeks.

StefanWolves
29-09-2009, 10:38 AM
It's people like you that decide that [Insert Mission critical system here] should run on Windows XP.

List of 'Mission Critical' Systems:

Nuclear Power Station controls (Networked, never updated, you get the picture)
ATM Machines (Yes they have been hacked before, networked, never updated)
Tescos self service (Yes, they don't install updates, networked)
NHS Life Support machines (Networked, never updated, Conficker goodness hooked upto people on life support)
MRI Scanners (Brilliant, our personality is in the hands of someone who might take over the world)
US Presidential Electronic Voting Machines (Black vote, or Hack Vote?, networked to central DBs)

****, that is actually very scary.

but you forgot to mention school computers to, never updated regularly and still running xp.

J0SH
29-09-2009, 11:29 AM
Haha, don't pay £60 for Windows XP. I wouldn't pay a fiver for it. Just buy Windows 7 for that price. It's far superior. I don't know why you'd wanna run an outdated OS :(

StefanWolves
29-09-2009, 03:01 PM
Haha, don't pay £60 for Windows XP. I wouldn't pay a fiver for it. Just buy Windows 7 for that price. It's far superior. I don't know why you'd wanna run an outdated OS :(

I only run an outdated OS because Vista is a boar.

The Professor
29-09-2009, 04:11 PM
I only run an outdated OS because Vista is a boar.

Aye aye, moved onto 7 now cos I'm cool though :D

StefanWolves
29-09-2009, 04:12 PM
Aye aye, moved onto 7 now cos I'm cool though :D

I'll be moving to Win7 too, but I don't know how much I will have to fork out for it yet... Looking to get the PRO version.

The Professor
29-09-2009, 04:21 PM
I'll be moving to Win7 too, but I don't know how much I will have to fork out for it yet... Looking to get the PRO version.

See I'm gonna be tight and pirate it... Sorry microsoft!

StefanWolves
29-09-2009, 04:24 PM
See I'm gonna be tight and pirate it... Sorry microsoft!

That's your choice, I would pirate it, but I can't be bothered with it, as a month down the line I GUARANTEE that I'd get a pop up saying 'You are using a pirated copy of Windows 7! - you are now screwed! either buy it now or get this annoying message forever!' - and I can't be bothered with that, I'd rather just buy it at a cut down price.

Blob
30-09-2009, 06:21 PM
****, that is actually very scary.

but you forgot to mention school computers to, never updated regularly and still running xp.

Don't complain about school PC's, they are easy to hack :8. (Trust, you will want to do it if you know the tech people at my school)

Stephen!
30-09-2009, 06:35 PM
That's your choice, I would pirate it, but I can't be bothered with it, as a month down the line I GUARANTEE that I'd get a pop up saying 'You are using a pirated copy of Windows 7! - you are now screwed! either buy it now or get this annoying message forever!' - and I can't be bothered with that, I'd rather just buy it at a cut down price.

Or just get another, updated crack.

Swinkid
30-09-2009, 08:55 PM
Also, another reason for getting Win7:

If you can get a .sch email off the schoo, you can get win 7 for £30. :rolleyes:

Blob
01-10-2009, 05:21 PM

If you can get a .sch email off the schoo, you can get win 7 for £30. :rolleyes:

sch.uk*

Markeh
01-10-2009, 05:33 PM

Link?

I happen to have one of them. lol.

As a point, up until July, my school was still running at least 8 PCs on Windows Sever 2003. Infact, we still have one PC (not used often) on Windows 98 (2Gb HDD D:). A lot of our systems are running XP, but I'd say about a third are on Vista. Most of the Vista ones are net-tops, with no disk drives, and Atom processors.

Recursion
01-10-2009, 06:11 PM
Link?

As a point, up until July, my school was still running at least 8 PCs on Windows Sever 2003. Infact, we still have one PC (not used often) on Windows 98 (2Gb HDD D:). A lot of our systems are running XP, but I'd say about a third are on Vista. Most of the Vista ones are net-tops, with no disk drives, and Atom processors.

Our school and the school's IT I manage is all running Windows XP and Windows Server 2003, it just seems easier.

Blob
01-10-2009, 06:13 PM
Our school run XP + Windows Server 2003 (for admins) and they are upgrading to Windows 7 probably soon (as hinted by one tech person) + some computers seem to have an unfinished installiation of Vista on it (wont work though)

The Professor
01-10-2009, 07:35 PM
Our school is running entirely on windows 7 as far as I know. We just replaced every computer in the school so it actually works, they all hated vista!

HotelUser
01-10-2009, 07:36 PM
Link?

The school board here doesn't allow schools to run Vista:P

Stephen!
01-10-2009, 07:38 PM
The computers at the computing college i go to still use Pentium 4 machines with XP. 512MB RAM.

How are we supposed to do anything productive with that?

Jordy
01-10-2009, 07:40 PM
Our school is running entirely on windows 7 as far as I know. We just replaced every computer in the school so it actually works, they all hated vista!I assume you mean XP?

There's no machines in my school which actually meet Vista specs other than the ICT Technician's. All I want at school is dual-screen, is it too much to ask? :P

The Professor
01-10-2009, 07:43 PM
The computers at the computing college i go to still use Pentium 4 machines with XP. 512MB RAM.

How are we supposed to do anything productive with that?

Ouch! That sucks, how do they justify that?

I assume you mean XP?

There's no machines in my school which actually meet Vista specs other than the ICT Technician's. All I want at school is dual-screen, is it too much to ask? :P

Nope, I meant what I said :P We were running Vista on everything but it hogged the resources like a greedy cat, windows 7 seems to be much nicer to them.

Stephen!
01-10-2009, 07:44 PM
Ouch! That sucks, how do they justify that?

They spend all their damn money on top of the range Macs for the Media students.

Swinkid
01-10-2009, 07:52 PM
Link?

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/education/studentoffer/

shizzle
01-10-2009, 08:17 PM
It's people like you who are holding this world back.
Haah, lol right? Win7 is so sexy:D

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!