PDA

View Full Version : File Sharing with Wi-Fi?

Markeh
25-09-2009, 05:07 PM
I've got 2 laptops, and 2 desktops, and I wanna be able to do file sharing between them all. I've got a Belkin G-Plus MIMO router connected to one of the PCs, and I'm just wondering if I'd need a new router to do it. Any ideas?

The laptops are running Vista Business and Premium, and both desktops have XP Home. The laptops connect with built-in Wi-Fi, whereas the other desktop has a Belkin USB adapter.

Also, could I add network storage to this wireless network? I'm looking at buying an NAS. If so, any suggestions?

+REP to any answers that help

Jordy
25-09-2009, 11:17 PM
The NAS device would plug directly into your router via ethernet. I personally use my NAS device for sharing files around my network as that's really easy to do however you can do it by Windows.

Usually just open up "Network" from the Start Menu and providing other XP/Vista/7 computers are on, they usually appear there and you can browse their "Public folders". Simply drag and drop files across to your PC.

To find the public folders on your PC just go to: C:\Users\Public and hopefully other computers can access them, it should be automatic I think?

Chippiewill
25-09-2009, 11:53 PM
In Vista you have to explicitly enable file sharing I think.

9y
26-09-2009, 08:38 AM
Wrong topic. Try technology section. Im not sure about this though, networks confuse me :)

FAIL I clicked on technology section rarther than discuss anything! SCOTT DIE SCOTT DIE!

Markeh
26-09-2009, 05:47 PM
The NAS device would plug directly into your router via ethernet. I personally use my NAS device for sharing files around my network as that's really easy to do however you can do it by Windows.

Usually just open up "Network" from the Start Menu and providing other XP/Vista/7 computers are on, they usually appear there and you can browse their "Public folders". Simply drag and drop files across to your PC.

To find the public folders on your PC just go to: C:\Users\Public and hopefully other computers can access them, it should be automatic I think?

Right, I'm on one of the Vista laptops, and on Network, there's only my PC. The desktop connected to the router is turned on. Will try enabling file sharing on there in a minute.

Jordy
26-09-2009, 10:33 PM
Right, I'm on one of the Vista laptops, and on Network, there's only my PC. The desktop connected to the router is turned on. Will try enabling file sharing on there in a minute.Yeah you can do that by going to Network & Sharing Center or right clicking a folder and goes to Properties and then Sharing.

DJ-Ains.T
26-09-2009, 10:39 PM
If both laptops/computers are vista, then it's easy.

Click start, network, your computer, shared music, and copy any music into there.

Go to your other laptop/computers, click start, network, other computers user, shared music, and copy the music from there.

Pretty simple :}

Markeh
27-09-2009, 09:48 AM
2 computers are XP. The 2 laptops are Vista (one's Premium and the other one's Business). How does that change things?

Also, as a side point, one of the XP desktops has an Epson Stylus Photo 830U plugged into it. How easy it it to access that printer wirelessly through the network from the 2 Vista laptops?

The Professor
28-09-2009, 08:46 AM
2 computers are XP. The 2 laptops are Vista (one's Premium and the other one's Business). How does that change things?

Also, as a side point, one of the XP desktops has an Epson Stylus Photo 830U plugged into it. How easy it it to access that printer wirelessly through the network from the 2 Vista laptops?

Easy. But I've completely forgotten how :P You either do it through the "network" button in control panel or through "printers". Either way its a little checkbox that says "enable printer sharing across my network" or some such poo poo. Try googling it :P

Markeh
28-09-2009, 03:10 PM
I worked it out in the end, thanks for all your help guys, +REPs where I can.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!