PDA

View Full Version : Would it be worth my time?

Mickword
25-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Hey guys! I was wondering weather I should start to write a book, it is based on a boy who lives in a magical world until it is disrupted from the "darkness" and there is only one way he can save it, by becoming "the Golden Knight".™

The story is a series of books by me Michael Edwards.
The first is: The Michael Edwards Chronicles, The Golden Knight.™

What does anyone think about it?

RandomManJay
25-09-2009, 06:46 PM
If you think you're up for it go for it. Would it be a collection of short stories or novels?

I've started a couple of books im my time but I either don't have the time or never really can get into going past the prologue, I'm working on now called 'Hallow Centuri, Code of the Magi', don't know how far it will get though :P.

Mickword
25-09-2009, 07:01 PM
I know, I started my books ages ago, I wrote around 50 pages. And they got deleted by mistake. But yeah its cool. I will publish them on my site.

Immenseman
25-09-2009, 07:03 PM
You should defo go for it, nothing to lose, all to gain :)

Mickword
25-09-2009, 07:34 PM
Thanks, btw jake how u get caution? And I will put a sneak preview of my book later.

Immenseman
25-09-2009, 07:36 PM
told someone that they change their opinion when it's about their team in the sports forum. which is just stating the obvious because everyone does :rolleyes: look forward to the preview

Mickword
25-09-2009, 07:43 PM
lol, anyway. I just designed the bookcase for the books im planning on doing 6 books. looking like this...

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/3617/bookcasez.png

Immenseman
25-09-2009, 07:45 PM
looks nice and rustic :8

Mickword
25-09-2009, 07:47 PM
ty jakey.

EDIT: Other News: 800 posts :P.

RandomManJay
25-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Lol, the bookcase looks good :D.

Mickword
25-09-2009, 08:45 PM
Thanks mate.

Misawa
26-09-2009, 02:55 PM
If you're just going to self-publish on your website, then that's fine, but if you ever went to a publisher, they'd never allow you a cover like that as it doesn't show anything to do with your book and looks too old. Also, the whole "your name chronicles" thing, wouldn't work out if you had them published too, because no one knows who you are and your name can't draw a penny. Just a heads up, but good luck. :)

Mickword
26-09-2009, 05:53 PM
lol, thanks for that any ideas for a chronic al name?

RandomManJay
26-09-2009, 07:49 PM
lol, thanks for that any ideas for a chronic al name?

What theme is going to be presented in all your books? Once you know that, you can decide on the name :P.

Oh and have you written any of your book yet, you said you were going to post a preview :P.

(God I keep using the ':P' emoticon xD!)

Mickword
26-09-2009, 09:45 PM
Don't worry I use that all the time, and I will post a middle chapter when im done :P.

Japan
26-09-2009, 10:59 PM
Good names for a "golden knight"

-Marius Bell
-Sinclair Temperley
-Valentino Fawcett
-Xavier Calliope

They all sound quite exotic, which would suit your genre of novel quite well.

Wyked
26-09-2009, 11:02 PM
Good names for a "golden knight"

-Marius Bell
-Sinclair Temperley
-Valentino Fawcett
-Xavier Calliope
-Titus Bramble
They all sound quite exotic, which would suit your genre of novel quite well.

I vote Titus Bramble

Mickword
27-09-2009, 10:48 AM
Thanks tea, but I might just make my own up. Because as someone said in this thread (forgot who) I could sue me or something. If I do use them I will put you in the end credits and stuff :p.

Japan
28-09-2009, 03:43 PM
I would not sue you xx
Good luck with the book :)

Homosexual
28-09-2009, 05:36 PM
'Xirus Spinndle' should be a name :D

In the prologue, it should be dedicated to me :) or HabboxForum as a whole, with special shoutouts to whoelse - me!

Xoim
28-09-2009, 08:09 PM
XOIM FTW!

I think you should try it,
But don't make your books sound like the mainstream books out there!
It's so easily done :]

Good luck :]

RandomManJay
28-09-2009, 08:29 PM
I think its better if you choose your own names, makes it more personal it you :P. How many chapters you up to by the way?

Mickword
28-09-2009, 09:10 PM
I'm kind of lazy, tbh I have only written notes, in storey mode like. And I'm going to find my Microsoft Office CD and put it on my comp. Then I'll do the full edit. And I'm going for around 15 chapters for my first book.

RandomManJay
28-09-2009, 09:19 PM
I'm kind of lazy, tbh I have only written notes, in storey mode like. And I'm going to find my Microsoft Office CD and put it on my comp. Then I'll do the full edit. And I'm going for around 15 chapters for my first book.

Okie lol :P.

Mickword
29-09-2009, 03:28 PM
here is the opening of the storey:

After the stunning ruins and sparkling lake of the great nation, Drago. Beyond the golden dancing willows, of Nelement. There was just the ever so small nation village of Crayot. The home of Zenu, a simple 16 year old farm boy, no different from nether you or me. Simply dressed in rags, a dirty cloth no less. His hair was a mer mess compared to he passed down clothes, there was no other word for it, brown. Now from his hair to his face, filthy yet saturn blue eyes, beautiful once shown to a simple light.

"Zenu, Zenu my dear" hes graceful mother spoke "its time to awake, it is a lovely day". Now usally nether you or I would wake for this, would we. But, this wasn't any old dad to Zenu, no this was his birthday, his 16th birthday no less. Now there is something that Zenu likes to do, he loves calling his family members different names, insead of there real, long winded names.

"Yes Pip?" he asked to his mother.

"It is time to get up love, it is you first day of work" answered his mother calling from down the stiff, wooden stairs. You could hear Zenu's mutter the word, 'yes'. I know this sounds strange, to be happy to go to work. Even more on your birthday.

Soz about spelling btw, wordpad doesn't have it. lol. :P.

Homosexual
29-09-2009, 03:52 PM
Nice, but work on the grammar a bit :D

After the stunning ruins and sparkling lake of the great nation, Drago. Beyond the golden dancing willows, of Nelement. There was just the ever so small nation village of Crayot.

Makes no sense to me :-D

Mickword
29-09-2009, 05:15 PM
I know, me nether. I never know where to start lol.

RandomManJay
29-09-2009, 05:28 PM
It's nice, but some parts make it sound long winded and couple the first couple of sentences don't make and sense.

After the stunning ruins and sparkling lake of the great nation, Drago. Beyond the golden dancing willows, of Nelement. There was just the ever so small nation village of Crayot.

Since I badgered you for a bit of your story, I'll post the prologue of mine, just to make us even :P. It isn't long so I don't have a problem with posting it.

Just found out the forum doesn't count tabs and spaces at the beginning of a sentence, so you can't really see when a paragraph begins, so I've posted a screenie of it instead:

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/RasputenTaru/Prologue.png

Mickword
29-09-2009, 05:44 PM
Very, very nice!

Nikki
30-09-2009, 06:57 PM
:eusa_thin:eusa_thin:eusa_thin

Edit by Sammeth. (Assistant General Manager): Please don't make pointless posts.

Japan
02-10-2009, 05:09 PM
It's nice, but some parts make it sound long winded and couple the first couple of sentences don't make and sense.

Since I badgered you for a bit of your story, I'll post the prologue of mine, just to make us even :P. It isn't long so I don't have a problem with posting it.

Just found out the forum doesn't count tabs and spaces at the beginning of a sentence, so you can't really see when a paragraph begins, so I've posted a screenie of it instead:

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/RasputenTaru/Prologue.png

Sounds suspiciously similar to Harry Potter?

RandomManJay
02-10-2009, 05:30 PM
Sounds suspiciously similar to Harry Potter?

If you actually knew the storyline, its nothing like it :). Also just to say I've never read a full book of Harry Potter, read the first page of Philosopher's Stone and it put me to sleep xD!

Japan
02-10-2009, 05:49 PM
It's just that it seems like a school of magic, with the main character sneaking around after dark ignoring whatever his friend says.
Also- I think Kanith Avira said almost exactly the same thing as Hermione did in Harry Potter.
What is the storyline? I'm quite curious :)

RandomManJay
02-10-2009, 06:23 PM
It's just that it seems like a school of magic, with the main character sneaking around after dark ignoring whatever his friend says.
Also- I think Kanith Avira said almost exactly the same thing as Hermione did in Harry Potter.
What is the storyline? I'm quite curious :)

Well the prologue is a few years before the story begins. Jackson is kidnapped and trained in the arts of the Dark Magi, enemies of the Magi, an Order of fighters who follow in the ways of the Masters, a group of 12 people who defended the universe from the Aeons, a race of beings who enslaved the universe long ago. The storyline of the book revolves around the training of Kanith and another character called Rovver who are gifted with traits of the Masters. The book also has a back storyline which is the main storyline of the actual books I'm intending to write. Basically in this book, the leader of the Order is believed to be the leader of the Dark Magi by his former and current students, as a result they follow him around etc. and discover his hidden past that he was once a Dark Magi, but only for spying on the enemy etc. but they think he's actually been corrupted and is now allied with them. In the end they confront him and fight him, only to find that it was all a trail to see if they were capable of fulfilling the title of Arch-Magi, the leaders of the Magi Order. The book ends with the cliffhanger leading to Jackson's training and eventual death in the second book.

Japan
02-10-2009, 06:29 PM
discover his hidden past that he was once a Dark Magi, but only for spying on the enemy etc. but they think he's actually been corrupted and is now allied with them. In the end they confront him and fight him

Don't want to sound annoying but that's what's going on with Severus Snape in Harry potter.
Anyway, book sounds interesting :)

RandomManJay
02-10-2009, 06:33 PM
Don't want to sound annoying but that's what's going on with Severus Snape in Harry potter.
Anyway, book sounds interesting :)

Yeah, but it isn't a test on HP is it? :P. Also, I'll just say, in the second book you do actually find out the real reason for his past, but unless you actually want to know, I'll just leave it at that.

Misawa
02-10-2009, 09:25 PM
Well... I'm sure it might sound similar to Harry Potter, but then again Harry Potter is the same as Star Wars when you look closely!

Fez
02-10-2009, 09:49 PM
Well... I'm sure it might sound similar to Harry Potter, but then again Harry Potter is the same as Star Wars when you look closely!
http://www.saynotocrack.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/61074_harrypotterstarwars.jpg

Mickword
03-10-2009, 07:33 PM
OMG your right nice find!

AgnesIO
04-10-2009, 02:58 PM
I would not sue you xx
Good luck with the book :)

Until he makes millions - then you call in a lawyer!

Mickword
04-10-2009, 03:16 PM
lol funny! -.0

Laggings
04-10-2009, 09:06 PM
Go for it, I'll be the first person to buy a copy :)
I read 100 pages an hour if you ever need someone to read it and give opinions.

Mickword
04-10-2009, 09:11 PM
Thanks! Im up to chapter 2.

kre8ive
05-10-2009, 01:25 PM
I vote Titus Bramble

***** @ TITUS BRAMBLE ERE, TITUS BRAMBLE IS A FOOTBALLER FOR WIGAN PMSL.

Good luck with this btw :P

Homosexual
05-10-2009, 03:29 PM
Review copy please :D

Laggings
05-10-2009, 07:09 PM
I'll be your accountant please. 25% take on all sales. :D

Suspective
05-10-2009, 07:12 PM
Will it be just for fun and yourself?

Laggings
05-10-2009, 08:53 PM
Will it be just for fun and yourself?Not when I'm charging $24.99 and advertising on BBC, obviously.

VelvetClover
05-10-2009, 09:48 PM
It's all very well wanting to write a book or a series of books you hope to see published one day - but it is very easy to be naive.

Firstly, despite the enjoyment you get out of it, writing a novel of publishable standards is a laborious, frustrating and lonely job. You have to stick at it even when you don't want to and not get bored of it. It can take a very long time. But don't let that put you off, keep going :)

Also, many people speak so flippantly about "getting published". It is incredibly difficult.

If you're serious about getting work published, I'd advise you get yourself a Writer's and Artist's Yearbook. They're about fifteen quid each and it gives excellent advice. A new one comes out every year.
You'll also find listings of agents, publishing houses, magazines in the UK and overseas and how to contact them.
See this website - http://www.writersandartists.co.uk/

:)

Laggings
06-10-2009, 01:45 AM
Or, you can make it an eBook, and if people get interested, you could earn some money from the sales to pay for a limited amount of published books.

Mickword
07-10-2009, 05:50 PM
How can I make it a ebook soz.

Homosexual
07-10-2009, 06:41 PM
Type it in word, make it a PDF and then put in online.

VelvetClover
07-10-2009, 07:25 PM
Or, you can make it an eBook, and if people get interested, you could earn some money from the sales to pay for a limited amount of published books.

By paying for a limited amount of published books you mean vanity publishing?
He wouldn't have to pay for the printing and marketing if a publishing house took him on.
He would have some books yes but he would have to approach bookshops independently and see if they'd buy them off him and sell them to the public if he was interested in selling them. He would pretty much have to do alone all the stuff I think literary agents usually do for you.

Mickword
07-10-2009, 08:58 PM
How do I make it a PDF file soz.

EDIT: Before got 900 posts WOOO!

Lost
07-10-2009, 09:09 PM
If you have an idea, go for it! I don't see why you wouldn't write a book? even if it's not the best in the world, it's still practise! To be a writer all that it takes is practise, practise, practise!!

Homosexual
07-10-2009, 09:11 PM
I suggest PrimoPDF (http://www.primopdf.com/) to create PDFs.

Misawa
07-10-2009, 09:13 PM
There's also a self-publishing website called Lulu.

Basically, the odds are unbelievably heavily stacked against you for getting a publishing deal, so the only viable option is to self-publish, and then it takes a lot of work and luck to get your book exposure online, for it to be a success. If I were you I'd just write what you can and stick it online for free, have a couple of people read it, then continue to hone your craft until you hit 20 or so, then make a serious attempt at writing a novel, if writing is still your key interest.

It takes a lot of passion and dedication to pen a book. If writing isn't where your heart is, and the place that you are at every day in your life, then you will always fail, take it from me. I'm a writer - I haven't written a book - but I've written screenplays, which are cinematic novels. I also have an agent. So you can take it from my own experience of years of writing that you will get nowhere if your head and heart aren't in it.

Free advice.

Mickword
09-10-2009, 02:34 PM
Thank you, will do :P.

Laggings
09-10-2009, 02:37 PM
How dare you bump your thread over mine! :cry:

Edited by iAdam (Forum Super Moderator); Please do not post pointlessly.

Mickword
09-10-2009, 02:56 PM
sorry! so sorry!

Laggings
09-10-2009, 03:52 PM
Now you have to post in mine to make up for your terrible sin.

Edited by iAdam (Forum Super Moderator); Please do not post pointlessly.

Mickword
09-10-2009, 04:55 PM
nah cba you know :P

Laggings
09-10-2009, 05:07 PM
LOL I'm afraid if I post more I'll be banned by mr.iAdampowerabusermod :P

On-topic: How's the story coming?

Mickword
09-10-2009, 06:52 PM
good, really good I have writters block sometimes, off topic i will post in ur thread :P.

Laggings
09-10-2009, 07:37 PM
Don't post offtopic! iAdam will warn you and ban you! -cri

On-topic: I usually find 'getting off' fixes my writers block :P

Mickword
09-10-2009, 08:06 PM
lol, hmmmm consered and doing!

Laggings
09-10-2009, 11:34 PM
^^ HAVE FUN <3

On-topic: Good luck.

Cannonman.R.C
10-10-2009, 03:25 AM
that heaps good!

Mickword
10-10-2009, 06:23 PM
Thank you!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!