PDA

View Full Version : United Kingdom paying for Liberian Healthcare

-:Undertaker:-
04-10-2009, 01:03 PM
Sky News, Liberian Healthcare (http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Liberia-The-British-Government-Pledges-More-Funding-For-Liberias-Healthcare-plan/Article/200910115398969?lpos=World_News_First_Home_Page_Fe ature_Teaser_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15398969_Liberia%3A_The_British_Govern ment_Pledges_More_Funding_For_Liberias_Healthcare_ plan)

The West African Nation of Liberia is trying to give free medical treatment to its population, but is still working to rebuild a country decimated by civil war. With international support, the country's president Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf abolished health fees in 2006. The British government has pledged over £12m in aid to the country over the last three years.

The money has been used to help build clinics, train staff and buy drugs.
The Department for International Development has announced that a further £12m will be given over the next three years to help the Liberian government continue to build a functioning health system.

Eighty-four per cent of Liberians still live below the poverty line six years after the end of the country's civil war in which 250,000 people died.
The country's shattered infrastructure and economy are dual barriers to progress.

It is nice to help everybody, because if we could the whole world would be perfect. The thing that grinds my gears is that we have people in our NHS who pay their taxes who are refused certain treatments/life-extending drugs because we have no money (evidently not as this story proves). The Conservatives don't hold much hope either, apparently they pledge to increase foreign aid when we ourselves are going to have to suffer cuts of 20%+ across the board.

Liberia isn't even a ex-British colony, it is a former American colony so why are America not paying for this, we have nothing to do with it.

When will this country stop paying for the world and start paying for its own people?.

GommeInc
04-10-2009, 03:31 PM
It is getting a bit odd now. It's not like the UK get anything in return for it.

Alkaz
04-10-2009, 03:33 PM
Fair enough helping out others, but help your own first.
A mum isnt going to go and feed the other kids in the neighbourhood and not feed her kids because she is helping the others. Its ridiculous. Someone needs to come in and give things one hell of a shake up.

ifuseekamy
04-10-2009, 04:13 PM
Isn't this what charities are for? Honestly it's their own fault for having stupid wars, just like we lose billions of £s sending troops to the Middle East.

Immenseman
04-10-2009, 05:36 PM
i don't see why you think it's bad we're helping others. do you have a roof over your head? are you entitled to free health care? have you been given an education? i don't see why people are so disgruntled in this country, i really don't.

04-10-2009, 05:43 PM
i don't see why you think it's bad we're helping others. do you have a roof over your head? are you entitled to free health care? have you been given an education? i don't see why people are so disgruntled in this country, i really don't.

..because people are losing their jobs, paying through their noses for nothing in return, business is closing, jobs are going, the United Kingdom itself is bankrupt, people themselves are bankrupt, education is suffering as a result of ovefunding in some areas and lack of funding in others, people are being denied life saving treaments & drugs on the national health service, losing your house or job can split your family apart, you cant provide the best for your children which is what every parent strives for, the United Kingdom itself is losing its ground on the world stage, defence is being cut meaning soliders are dying because lack of basic equipment.

..all because this government continues to give what we do not have to other nations, our money not Gordon Browns or David Camerons, meanwhile members of parliament are cheating, committing fraud, telling lies to us all constantly, claiming taxpayer money to fund their lavish lifestyles.

That is why people are 'disgruntled'.

Immenseman
04-10-2009, 05:44 PM
too much media for you. how many people do you know who haven't got a roof over their head?

04-10-2009, 05:47 PM
too much media for you. how many people do you know who haven't got a roof over their head?

I didn't say they haven't got a roof over their head, we live in a welfare state which means that very rarely happens, although you can see people in town who you can tell have recently lost their jobs, begging.

The people in Zimbabwe, North Korea and the former Soviet Union all had/have roofs over their heads, what matters is reality which is simple economics - and boy dont they have a great life?.

Japan
04-10-2009, 06:09 PM
We should all give up and live in the jungle.

Bun
05-10-2009, 03:21 PM
aww see how nice we are? :D:eusa_danc

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!