PDA

View Full Version : Conservative Party Conference 2009

-:Undertaker:-
04-10-2009, 04:01 PM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/10/04/article-1217970-06B20AB0000005DC-496_468x299.jpg

Boris Johnson leads calls for a referendum (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1217970/Boris-I-dont-want-Blair-magnifico-palace.html)

David Cameron today rejected calls for a referendum on the Lisbon Treaty even it if is ratified as a revolt over Europe threatened to overshadow the Tory party conference.

The Tory leader, who arriving in Manchester for the conference this morning, is under renewed pressure over the Treaty after it was approved by Ireland yesterday. Boris Johnson has put himself at the head of a Euro revolt by calling for a referendum not just on the Treaty, but on whether the UK should pull out of Europe altogether.

The Mayor of London and former Tory frontbencher insisted the prospect of Tony Blair becoming the 'big magnifico' President of Europe underlined the need for a poll. But Mr Cameron stuck to his guns today as he insisted he would not set out his plans until the last remaining EU members Czech Republic and Poland had ratified it.

Eric Pickles the Chairman of the Conservative Party, has told sources he is 'confident' the Czech President won't ratify the treaty soon and that a Conservative government will hold a referendum, this comes afer Nigel Farage and David Cameron wrote to the Czech President Klaus, details of which we do not know.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/10/04/article-1217970-06B250F0000005DC-198_468x423.jpg

This has really put me off David Cameron even more now, although I think nearly any government would be better than a Labour government, Cameron is refusing point-blank to promise us a referendum, and the chances are that the Polish and Czech Presidents' will be under immense pressure over the next few weeks/months to sign and ratify the treaty, and once that happens the chances of Cameron taking any real action are dashed.

I know, and along with a lot of Conservatives (as evident on the Mail site & others) that if Cameron does not pledge to take action then my vote would definetley be going to UKIP at the next election, and judging from replies on BBC, Sky News, Daily Mail and so on many Conservative supporters will support UKIP over the Conservatives who are dithering on this issue.

In a way the Conservatives deserve to lose the next election, Europe always has and will continue to divide the Conservative Party just as it is dominating the upcoming Conference in Manchester this week and it is time for them to represent the people of this country.

Come on Cameron, show some trustworthy action.

Bun
05-10-2009, 10:16 PM
lol he's bottled that one. it's late at night and i can't be arsed enlightening you with anymore witless comments cept for woo looks like we're staying in the eu lads. :eusa_danc

Jordy
08-10-2009, 02:32 PM
Simply remarkable speech my Cameron, I only caught the last 30 minutes (Presumably it'll be summarised on news sites/newspapers soon). Just what I wanted to hear from the Conservatives to be honest. I never really understood what they stood for before but now it's all so clear :)

GommeInc
08-10-2009, 02:51 PM
I might just vote for them instead of New Labour (as Labour died centuries ago) now, the other parties have no hope in hell and New Labour seems to lack charisma and charm, and lack the power to do anything for themselves.

Ardemax
08-10-2009, 04:03 PM
it's all well us agreeing he's amazing and everything by his speech, but let's judge him on his actions when the time is ready :)

Jordy
08-10-2009, 04:37 PM
it's all well us agreeing he's amazing and everything by his speech, but let's judge him on his actions when the time is ready :)Give him the chance to then.

Immenseman
08-10-2009, 04:39 PM
didn't win my vote.

Ardemax
08-10-2009, 06:46 PM
Give him the chance to then.

in this thread i haven't said he shouldn't get a chance? :S

Jordy
08-10-2009, 08:02 PM
in this thread i haven't said he shouldn't get a chance? :SNo I just meant to everyone in general lol. I mean all he can do as the leader of opposition atm is talk, if you want to see if he sorts out Britain or turns out to be a colossal lier there's only one way of finding out.

08-10-2009, 08:34 PM
While the country is better under any Conservative government (as history shows, when Labour leave office the country is bankrupt) so hopefully he'll be able to pull off the reforms similar to those of Thatcher. If he doesn't pull out of the European Union thoughh, or stop the Lisbon Treaty I won't be behind him and I would hope they install a new leader shortly - we are electing someone to make 25% of our laws, when we dont get a say on who makes the other 75%.

GommeInc
08-10-2009, 08:43 PM
Meh, I just learnt in my business coursework that Thatcher isn't as bad as people would think, as she rode in on the back of change anyway, with capitalism and entrepreneurs which came in the 1980s after the political/social crisis in the 1960s. In 1970s the economy slumped and unions and fluctuating relationships between boss and worker to help motivate workers to work.

She also saw welcome of Japanese companies such as Nissan and Toyota who helped improve the car industry by investing in the UK. She supposedly destroyed bureacratic thinking by companies by growing the entreprenurial business model (basically exploiting new ideas and ways of thinking with risks, innovation and adaptation). It helped shaped UK as one of the economic masters of the 1980s and 1990s which appealed to businesses, especially Japanese businesses.

*has a terrible headache from business things jabbing me in the back of the head*

OMG the faces of power :D

08-10-2009, 08:59 PM
Meh, I just learnt in my business coursework that Thatcher isn't as bad as people would think, as she rode in on the back of change anyway, with capitalism and entrepreneurs which came in the 1980s after the political/social crisis in the 1960s. In 1970s the economy slumped and unions and fluctuating relationships between boss and worker to help motivate workers to work.

She also saw welcome of Japanese companies such as Nissan and Toyota who helped improve the car industry by investing in the UK. She supposedly destroyed bureacratic thinking by companies by growing the entreprenurial business model (basically exploiting new ideas and ways of thinking with risks, innovation and adaptation). It helped shaped UK as one of the economic masters of the 1980s and 1990s which appealed to businesses, especially Japanese businesses.

*has a terrible headache from business things jabbing me in the back of the head*

OMG the faces of power :D

Thatcher was the best Prime Minister we ever had, and if anyone thinks the United Kingdom under Labour, James Callagahan and the Unions was better then they need to think again. The United Kingdom was bankrupt, had to go cap in hand to the IMF, we were losing influence (known as the sick man of Europe), rubbish was piled high on the streets, energy cuts a daily thing yet people still manage to criticise her over it.

The kind of people who hate Thatcher are those who dont believe in work, who expect the state to provide everything for them - think of it like this, if you ask a prison who they support politically, who do you think the vast majority are going to say - Labour or the Conservatives?.

Casanova
08-10-2009, 09:22 PM
Sorry, I didn't read your full post so I'll apologise in advance :).

Cameron needs to act NOW and tell us if he'll have the referendum or not. It'll cost us a good few million but for once the taxpayers money shall be well spent.

Cameron should have the full referendum simply because as far as I'm aware there is no one I know whom agrees with the Lisbon Treaty? Cameron needs to act on the revolt against Labour and Gordon Brown.

I'll be honest - when it comes to it I'll be voting conservative. My values used to be more labour but at this rate my fellow scotsmen (eyebrows and eyeball/darling & brown) will run our nations into the ground. Scotland will suffer especially.

We need to do something to cut our 1.4 trillion pounds of debt. And our contributions to the EU each year could help us make a whopping cut on the debts!

Ardemax
09-10-2009, 05:41 AM
No I just meant to everyone in general lol. I mean all he can do as the leader of opposition atm is talk, if you want to see if he sorts out Britain or turns out to be a colossal lier there's only one way of finding out.

exactly what i said lol

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!