PDA

View Full Version : Internet Connection ¬_¬

PaulMacC
05-10-2009, 08:51 PM
I'm currently on a BT package which is said to have 20mbps. I checked and my area can recieved like 6-7mbps maximum. Fair, I check today and it's 1.97mbps, my mum is on facebook poker though surely it wouldnt drain it down 4mbs. It doesnt help have 3 pc's draining this connection plus an xbox. The worse thing is we're on a contract meaning we cant change until it's done

N!ck
05-10-2009, 09:10 PM
What's the question? It just sounds like a rant lol :P. And just having computers connected doing sod all won't really affect anything.

PaulMacC
05-10-2009, 09:21 PM
Is there anyway I can up my connection, Im on a contract.
2 ISPs, is it possible?

Niall!
05-10-2009, 09:24 PM
2 ISPs, is it possible?

How about turning off the xbox or some of the three computers?

N!ck
05-10-2009, 09:25 PM
2 ISPs, is it possible?

I'm guessing it's an ADSL type service, in which case, no, only one connection per phone line as you must have a MAC (Migration Authorization Code) to allow another company to put a "mark" sort of thing on your phone line to show that they are supplying you internet.

You could ring BT and ask for cancellation, but there will likely be cancellation fees due to ending a contract early.

Stephen!
05-10-2009, 09:25 PM

No, you won't benefit from upgrading your connection because it is clearly an area issue.

N!ck
05-10-2009, 09:28 PM
Is the speed you are talking about the speed from a site such as speedtest.net or the actual sync speed?

HotelUser
05-10-2009, 09:50 PM
speedtest.net is basically useless, as I can connect to a close server and get a 14mbps connection, or a server in Quebec and get 2mbps.

Sadly ISP contracts say speeds UP TO x, not that you're ever guaranteed to reach those speeds.. there's really nothing you can do but get a cheaper plan, because you'll be getting the same speeds anyway.

PaulMacC
05-10-2009, 10:10 PM
http://www.speedtest.net/result/583953819.png (http://www.speedtest.net)
Someone heard my cry.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!