PDA

View Full Version : Monitor problem

Robbie
08-10-2009, 07:56 PM
Hi,

I got a monitor off eBay (which is probably the problem) - and it worked for about 8 hours or so and now it's looks like this on screen:

http://i37.tinypic.com/243hkxl.jpg

even on the monitors own menu - so it's not the VGA cable or GFX card:

http://i33.tinypic.com/167a4ya.jpg

Any ideas anyone?

Looks like I've been had tbh.

Cheers

Recursion
08-10-2009, 08:01 PM
Try resetting to factory defaults and then contact the seller.

Robbie
08-10-2009, 08:05 PM
Tried factory settings, no luck. The funny thing is it looks fine on the P.O.S.T screen and BIOS but I tried a different monitor so I know it's not the PC.

Markeh
08-10-2009, 08:55 PM
I'd say you've been had. Does the monitor do this on any other PCs?

I know your sure the PC isn't the problem, but it can't hurt to try it on another PC, can it?

Lost
08-10-2009, 08:58 PM
I have the same monitor (I think). When I accidently put it to sleep it's sometimes hard to put it back on instantly and when I turn on & off the monitor it shows what the second image showed. But like it just goes back to normal if I wait a bit longer :S.

That's obviously not the problem so i'd say you've been had.

Also do what Marky21 said, if you're not ENTIRELY certain it isn't the PC itself, I'd try it anyways.

Markeh
08-10-2009, 09:14 PM
Another thing. Does this happen when using the DVI input? It could be a broken VGA port on the monitor, or even a dodgy VGA lead. If you could try it and post pictures of what happens, that could help us.

Colin-Roberts
08-10-2009, 11:08 PM
the ones at school do this, the unprofessional solution that always worked for us was to hit the side.. idk why but it always worked at school.

Markeh
09-10-2009, 03:30 PM
the ones at school do this, the unprofessional solution that always worked for us was to hit the side.. idk why but it always worked at school.

That sounds like the school ones had something loose inside.

Robbie, if you've tried all our attempts and the problem persists, then if your not afraid to, try opening it up to look for loose bits. I wouldn't recommend this, but if you want to take the risk, go ahead.

Recursion
09-10-2009, 03:49 PM
I don't know if LCD monitors still do, but it could carry high voltages inside in capacitors so be bloody careful.

Markeh
09-10-2009, 04:37 PM
I don't know if LCD monitors still do, but it could carry high voltages inside in capacitors so be bloody careful.

Yes, I believe they still do.

Isn't there also something in the backlights?

This is why I said "at his own risk". lol

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!