PDA

View Full Version : Runescape Forum

Jay.
12-10-2009, 04:49 PM
I love forums, don't you? HxF just pwns. So do the ***** forums. I can get a nulled vBulletin and start my own RS Forum. Just a simple forum, like HxF, used to discuss Runescape. Pretty neat eh? I have experience with vBulletin so it wont be very hard except my main concerns are...

1. Nulled vBulletin, bad right? Maybe I should use something like SMF? Although, they're ugly :(

2. A good skin! I'd need a pretty cool Runescape vBulletin skin.

3. Getting it popular. How would I go about advertising it etc.

I'd need people dedicated to helping me moderate the forum etc, I could try get a free .org domain? If they still do those, otherwise, if we get popualr I suppose I'll pay for a .co.uk or .com and for now stick with a .co.cc or something.

Good idea, or bad idea?

Nixt
12-10-2009, 04:53 PM
Soon as you open a nulled vBulletin someone is going to report you and it's gonna get shut down - and so it should :P.

Jay.
12-10-2009, 04:54 PM
Ok, I thought nulled vb was bad, how about if I use something like SMF?

scottish
12-10-2009, 05:10 PM
It'll fail.

people have tried and actually put money into it and its failed, you're not even putting anything into it (nulled vb/free forum, free domain, no doubt free hosting so..)

yeh gl with that.

Jay.
12-10-2009, 05:25 PM
It'll fail.

people have tried and actually put money into it and its failed, you're not even putting anything into it (nulled vb/free forum, free domain, no doubt free hosting so..)

yeh gl with that.

Thanks for the honest opinion, I didn't see the need for the sarcastic "yeh gl with that."

scottish
12-10-2009, 05:26 PM
not sarcasm, im saying gd luck with it if you do go through with the plan.

Jay.
12-10-2009, 05:36 PM
Alright, sorry.

Kdwndr8
12-10-2009, 05:40 PM
If you dont want to buy everything go with a MyBB forum and a domain/hosting plan. MyBB is quite nice, and its free and people hate free domains so you could get a good .com or .co.uk one..

If you would need help running it, I would help out. :)

Best of luck :eusa_danc

Jay.
12-10-2009, 06:31 PM
Thanks a lot, I'm really considering it, going to look at cheap plans now.

Mint
12-10-2009, 07:09 PM
Making it well known and getting people to join is 100x harder than making the site itself. There is a high chance of it failing but there is always a chance of it kicking off which would be awesome. So you should dedicate time and use free services to start with and if you feel confident that all it needs is some advertising then spend some money on that. You will also have to decide if you want to allow things that go against the rs rules such as account trading, cash trading, botting etc. Good luck.

Callum.
12-10-2009, 07:09 PM
Don't think it will work. ***** if popular because it is a botting forum, this section used to be popular because the amount of us who played. No body really wants to leave either forum. You'll get you and a couple of friends who will most likely be admins/moderators as the only ones posting.

It's hard to advertise. You'll get flamed on ***** and not sure you can advertise on things like zybez or tip.it (think they have a forum). Not many people play from here either, and I doubt any want to go to a new forum that will die quickly either.

I voted no.

Arch
12-10-2009, 07:38 PM
There are already alot of rs forums out there so you'd have competition but i guess it could work , id say it wouldnt though.

Goodluck if you go through with it.

Jay.
12-10-2009, 07:40 PM
@ Mint - Thanks, I suppose it's hard but, idk if it could be successful.
@ Callum. - I agree to some extent. I might add something on here.

Ok, the added thing, instead of a random forum, also have a clan? A skiller clan, a fighting clan, have like two different clan leaders and they both use the forum for it.

graffiti
12-10-2009, 07:49 PM
Tbh I think rs hxf forums are dead so yeah I'd sign up and help you out.

Jay.
12-10-2009, 07:57 PM
Thanks a lot! :P I'm really considering it now. But what software?

1. Nulled vBul.
2. MyBB.
3. SMF

(or suggest others :P)

Callum.
12-10-2009, 08:01 PM
Thanks a lot! :P I'm really considering it now. But what software?

1. Nulled vBul.
2. MyBB.
3. SMF

(or suggest others :P)

A nulled vB would get you shut down very quickly, not worth it in my opinion. You'll get a few members, then they probably won't sign back up once you come back from being shut down.

Jay.
12-10-2009, 08:03 PM
Bleh, k. I suppose we'll go with different software. Now for a domain. I've found cheap .org domains. Domain ideas? Something like rsforums.org or rsforum.org or runescapeforums.org or something like that. Ideas?!? :D

Orangeesh
12-10-2009, 08:16 PM
This was tried before, and it failed.
It's not worth it as there are enough RS forums already.

Jay.
12-10-2009, 08:18 PM
LOL, I'm getting mixed thoughts here.

Kdwndr8
13-10-2009, 12:19 AM
I would say make the forum, make the clans to go along, and maybe even do some events.

As for what to buy, I would go with a .net or a .com.. .org sounds horrible tbh.. And for the forum, go with MyBB or PhBB as they both are good free ones.. I have experience in running forums, and I would help run it if you need. As for popularity, its always nice to have a forum with 50-100 people that know each other, and are all in a clan.. Who knows, maybe it could get really popular? :P

Naming it, things like "Runescapeforum.org" sound bad tbh.

Laggings
13-10-2009, 12:44 AM
Go ahead and make it. I'll be the one to report it. nulled vb is fail, starting another runescape forum is fail, and nobody will join anyways. Just use the damn Runescape forum on hxf, and stop your no-life botting.

Zokoli
13-10-2009, 03:30 AM
one word for thinking of using nulled vb: fail.
it'll just get reported, and shut down by Jellysoft.
dont even bother.
kthnxbaioutx

Jay.
13-10-2009, 07:32 AM
Go ahead and make it. I'll be the one to report it. nulled vb is fail, starting another runescape forum is fail, and nobody will join anyways. Just use the damn Runescape forum on hxf, and stop your no-life botting.

What was the point in the no-life botting? Why are you flaming me? I simply asked for the community's views on this, something like "nulled vb is bad, starting another runescape forum is bad too, don't do it" or something, rather than just insulting me. -rep

one word for thinking of using nulled vb: fail.
it'll just get reported, and shut down by Jellysoft.
dont even bother.
kthnxbaioutx

I have stated that I wont use nulled vBulletin, try reading my other posts before posting here, yeah?

Zokoli
13-10-2009, 07:44 AM
Sorry, I presumed by reading the posts on the first page you would be using it.

Jay.
13-10-2009, 03:07 PM
Okay, so overall, should I do it or not...

Laggings
13-10-2009, 03:45 PM
No don't, and I loved the revenge rep from... well, you know who ;P

Jay.
13-10-2009, 04:27 PM
LOL at revenge rep. You're the one who just pointlessly -repped me, totally randomly, yet I haven't -repped you. but ok? :S

Laggings
13-10-2009, 05:15 PM
Did I say it was you? Nope.
And what the :rude: are you talking about, me -repping you? Must have the wrong person bro. I gave you my opinion on the thread, not on your rep :P

Jay.
13-10-2009, 05:49 PM
Well, I haven't -repped you - I thought you -repped me because you thought I -repped you. (confused myself LOL) I seen your post on the Reputation problems and it says 7AM.

Since when do you see ME awake at 7AM?!?! D:

Zokoli
13-10-2009, 05:51 PM
since today.

Jay.
13-10-2009, 05:53 PM
Obviously not, as I wasn't up at 7AM today.

Rashelly
13-10-2009, 08:13 PM
Do it if you really have the will and time to do it, but it doesn't look hopeful.

I tried years ago, the market was tough back then, I'm guessing it's even worse now.

Me and another guy Steve (can't remember his hxf name) both tried this and failed. We paid for VB, hosting, domains and put a lot of effort into it, but the competition was just too established...once people find a good site, they tend to stick to it.
Adding clans doesn't work either, mine and steve's had clans.

You need to offer something different.

Orangeesh
13-10-2009, 08:35 PM
Do it if you really have the will and time to do it, but it doesn't look hopeful.

I tried years ago, the market was tough back then, I'm guessing it's even worse now.

Me and another guy Steve (can't remember his hxf name) both tried this and failed. We paid for VB, hosting, domains and put a lot of effort into it, but the competition was just too established...once people find a good site, they tend to stick to it.
Adding clans doesn't work either, mine and steve's had clans.

You need to offer something different.

scapescene? was a good forum tbh ;)
It's just like you said, people seem to stay where they are.

Rashelly
13-10-2009, 08:44 PM
yeah and steves was RSmanor, I worked there too.

Zokoli
14-10-2009, 12:21 AM
Basically, if you decide to earn some money and get vB I will be happy to help as I am experienced with vB.

Jay.
14-10-2009, 12:16 PM
I'm experienced too, I wouldn't really want a forum troll on my forums :) And thanks for the help guys, I think I'm going to pass :P

IceNineKills
14-10-2009, 11:17 PM
scapescene? was a good forum tbh ;)
It's just like you said, people seem to stay where they are.

i remember scapescene lol, rach got all pissy at me for giving myself like 1.4million infraction points.

Orangeesh
14-10-2009, 11:57 PM
i remember scapescene lol, rach got all pissy at me for giving myself like 1.4million infraction points.

I just remember the huge arcade which was like 10x better than this one.

Rashelly
15-10-2009, 06:17 PM
I just remember the huge arcade which was like 10x better than this one.
That was only for my amusement, really...I liked the games.

Did I? Haha... I can't remember, it was so long ago... Like 3 years? Jeez.

IceNineKills
15-10-2009, 09:44 PM

suppose, you are bloody old now, your memory is going ;).

Rashelly
17-10-2009, 04:41 PM

I am old :( That's what time does to you. You'll be pretty old soon!

IceNineKills
18-10-2009, 12:38 PM
I am old :( That's what time does to you. You'll be pretty old soon!

oh i am old, haha.

Orangeesh
19-10-2009, 02:12 AM

charming

time flys eh

iAdam
20-10-2009, 07:48 PM
I tried a forum similar to what you're planning many years ago, they won't work unless you put a hella lot of enthusiasm into them.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!