PDA

View Full Version : 50 days to save our planet

efq
19-10-2009, 02:55 PM
The Prime Minister has warned world leaders the planet faces a "catastrophic" future of heatwaves, floods and droughts if a new deal on climate change is not struck.

PM Warns 'There Is No Plan B' For The Planet

12:33pm UK, Monday October 19, 2009
Alison Chung, Sky News Online
The Prime Minister has warned world leaders the planet faces a "catastrophic" future of heatwaves, floods and droughts if a new deal on climate change is not struck.

Gordon Brown (http://indepth.news.sky.com/InDepth/topic/Gordon_Brown) delivered the bleak message during urgent talks in London ahead of December's UN-sponsored summit in Copenhagen.
With less than 50 days to go until the crucial meeting, Mr Brown revealed his fears that international disagreement over emission cuts could result in deadlock.
The PM warned world leaders they could not compromise with the planet so "must compromise with each other" and reach a deal "to make the world safe for human survival".
"In every era there are only one or two moments when nations come together and reach agreements that make history - because they change the course of history," Mr Brown told the Major Economies Forum.
"Copenhagen must be such a time.
"If we do not reach a deal at this time, let us be in no doubt: once the damage from unchecked emissions growth is done, no retrospective global agreement, in some future period, can undo that choice.
"This is the moment. Now is the time. For the planet there is no plan B."
Mr Brown said the costs of failing to address global warming would be greater than the impact of the two world wars and the Great Depression.
By 2080 an extra 1.8 billion people - a quarter of the world's current population - could lack sufficient water, he added.
But it is not just poor countries that could be severely affected by climate change.
"On current trends, such an event could become quite routine in Britain in just a few decades' time," the PM said.

This is the moment. Now is the time. For the planet there is no plan B. - Prime Minister Gordon Brown

"And within the lifetime of our children and grandchildren the intense temperatures of 2003 could become the average temperature experienced throughout much of Europe."
The Copenhagen summit (http://en.cop15.dk/#) is aimed at securing global agreement on climate change through the existing international treaty, known as the Kyoto Protocol.
Developing countries want richer nations to commit to tougher targets, as they are responsible for the vast majority of harmful emissions.
Many will also look to President Barack Obama (http://indepth.news.sky.com/InDepth/topic/Barack%20Obama) at Copenhagen for a change of policy on climate change.
The United States is both the world's largest polluter and the only major developed nation not to have signed up to the Kyoto Protocol.

We have around 50 days to save our planet, otherwise it will be too late.

I am not a fan of all these go green, global warming stuff. The Earth warms up then cools but yeah humans are speeding it up.

But 50 days to save the planet, do they wanna scare people... I think the UN don't care because by the time it happens it won't be them suffering and the younger generation will suffer and get blamed.

GoldenMerc
19-10-2009, 03:31 PM
Wheres the link to this article

efq
19-10-2009, 03:32 PM
Wheres the link to this article
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Politics/Gordon-Browns-Message-To-World-Leaders-On-Climate-Change-Ahead-Of-Copenhagen/Article/200910315408565?lpos=Politics_First_Home_Article_T easer_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15408565_Gordon_Browns_Message_To_Worl d_Leaders_On_Climate_Change_Ahead_Of_Copenhagen

hangover
19-10-2009, 05:10 PM
There is already impending doom hanging over the world and has been for years. 50 days is not enough time to change everything. Maybe if they made terrifying adverts on TV, people would listen but for this '50 day plan' to work, everyone would have to change their ways and it won't happen.

GommeInc
19-10-2009, 05:59 PM
Is this Gordon Brown trying to win some votes and be clever? You can't change the way the world works, Brown is a pleb of the highest order :/ More money wasting at the end of the day. He is a failure - the weakest link - good bye ;)

efq
19-10-2009, 06:12 PM
Is this Gordon Brown trying to win some votes and be clever? You can't change the way the world works, Brown is a pleb of the highest order :/ More money wasting at the end of the day. He is a failure - the weakest link - good bye ;)
Jeez, I swear they are trying to scare us. I went onto the Skynews website and the first thing is a big advertisement for the movie 2012 'We were warned' and it was the world ending. Then I see 50 days to save the planet. Then a advert on the TV with the man reading his daughter a book and her little voice 'Is there a happy ending?'.

Are they trying to scare us to change? Plus that 2012 movie is just helping those people faking the 2012 world blowing up theory.

Calvin
19-10-2009, 06:15 PM
like gomme said, you cant change the way the world works. if it ends or whatever then tough luck i guess lmao :)

efq
19-10-2009, 06:16 PM
like gomme said, you cant change the way the world works. if it ends or whatever then tough luck i guess lmao :)
Plus its not like the UN care, it wont be there problem when it comes around, so we can't do nothing to them lol.

ifuseekamy
19-10-2009, 07:34 PM
Global changes are meant to kill us off, they can't really stop nature.

Access
19-10-2009, 08:04 PM
it would be mad if the world just ended now..

who actually cares when it's gonna happen?

hangover
19-10-2009, 08:33 PM

Exactly. It could end any second.
As long as I'm dead when the world ends, I don't care how it happens. Sure 'future generations will suffer'. So? If the world cared about future generations and potentially our future families then we wouldn't be in this mess in the first place.

efq
19-10-2009, 09:02 PM
Tbh, it isn't going to end the world. We will just have to adapt to living on higher ground, dealing with more freaky weather.

It's not like the earths going to implode :/

Misawa
19-10-2009, 09:08 PM
The truth behind global warming is that nothing "catastrophic" will happen for generations upon generations.

2012 is the last year on the Mayan calendar. The ******* Mayan calendar. They couldn't go on forever.

GommeInc
19-10-2009, 09:22 PM
Urgh, don't get me started on that film. "The Mayans predicted it" - did they? Do you have proof? Their calendar ran out. It's like McDonalds running out of food and its a sign of world hunger. These people need to be happy slapped hard and violently, they really do.

Though the film might be somewhat interesting, there's already enough end of the world films, and some were more realistic anyway - an aircraft carrier riding a wave CANNOT capsize. It's why that film is crap, and will be crap.

adaym
19-10-2009, 10:05 PM
i'm happy dying, i don't really care.

efq
19-10-2009, 10:39 PM
i'm happy dying, i don't really care.
I personally wouldn't say that, I would rather survive if it ment me having to deal with no ice, hot weather etc.

It's just something we are going to have to look forward too. ;D

adaym
19-10-2009, 10:57 PM
i didn't mean kill myself, jesus.

i meant let nature take it's course. we'll starve/flood/die some way APPARENTLY so let it be. i couldn't be less bothered.

Blinger1
19-10-2009, 11:41 PM
Meh, couldn't give a **** about this "the world will end" crap. I'll keep using my car to get to work and for shopping and wherever else i need it..

Oh yeah!!! AND i won't turn my appliances off at the switch.

xxMATTGxx
20-10-2009, 05:45 AM
I think them saying 50 days isn't good to be honest. It will get some people thinking that we have 50 days left of the world when that is clearly not what they are saying. Climate change was always going to happen, we can try and slow it down but it was always going to happen. :(

DJ-Ains.T
20-10-2009, 07:15 AM
I think that our heatwaves and what not will never be as bad as what Africa gets. They have survied for so long now, don't you think it is time we experienced it? We've got enough money to sort ourselves out (get flood protection, etc). I want to experience what the Africans have to survive with. I want flash floods, I want drought, I want heatwaves.

hangover
20-10-2009, 09:29 AM
This so called 'end of the world' is apparently in the bible. So when we come out alive, all the Christians should lose faith if they were sensible. If the Mayans were so brilliant at predicting things, why did they die out?

Agnostic Bear
20-10-2009, 11:58 AM
Global Warming caused by Humans is a farce and so is climate change caused by Humans. A butt load of scientists say it's just nature pmsing and I'm inclined to believe them.

Richie
20-10-2009, 01:21 PM

I care, I'd rather use candles for lights if it meant it would save the world. I don't understand why you don't care if we were to be told today that the world would end tomorrow you would do anything in your grasp you could to save it.

Thats terrifying to know that the next generation possibly our future children could be left with shocking battles against droughts, floods and storms all thanks to us.

When I was younger I thought "I don't care I probly won't be here in 2080" but that was just me being selfish, People need to understand that some of the smallest things they may do could help earth. I'm not a tree hugger hippy, But I can see were there coming from, there trying to save human life when were basically killing it.

adaym
20-10-2009, 02:26 PM
I care, I'd rather use candles for lights if it meant it would save the world. I don't understand why you don't care if we were to be told today that the world would end tomorrow you would do anything in your grasp you could to save it.

Thats terrifying to know that the next generation possibly our future children could be left with shocking battles against droughts, floods and storms all thanks to us.

When I was younger I thought "I don't care I probly won't be here in 2080" but that was just me being selfish, People need to understand that some of the smallest things they may do could help earth. I'm not a tree hugger hippy, But I can see were there coming from, there trying to save human life when were basically killing it.

it's happened before and it'll happen again, there's nothing we've done to do it, there's nothing we can do to prevent it. simple really.

efq
20-10-2009, 02:57 PM
Just got to learn to adapt. Simple. Thats all they need to say 'Learn to adapt' not turn this off, dont drive etc.

Its inevitable and its about time people realized it. They say it themselves, the Earth cools down (ice age) then warms up over and over, its the cycle of what it is.

Tbh, I am a storm fanatic. If it ment more freak weather, i'm all for it. :D

-:Undertaker:-
20-10-2009, 06:52 PM
Does Gordon Brown actually think anybody believes him?

..it really is more like '50 DAYS TO SAVE THE WORLD BY ADDING/RAISING TAX'

efq
20-10-2009, 07:20 PM
Does Gordon Brown actually think anybody believes him?

..it really is more like '50 DAYS TO SAVE THE WORLD BY ADDING/RAISING TAX'
I'm sure he's winning some gullable people over and giving them the fright of their lives.

It's going to be War of the Worlds suicides all over again lmao.

iAdam
20-10-2009, 07:56 PM
Is brown actually trying to win votes by saying we have 50 days to sort the planet out or we're all screwed?

efq
20-10-2009, 08:00 PM
Is brown actually trying to win votes by saying we have 50 days to sort the planet out or we're all screwed?
Indeed he is. He also wants the UN to believe it as well lmao.

iAdam
20-10-2009, 08:12 PM
Must be his glass eye doing something to his brain.

Oh wait, he's like this normally.

-:Undertaker:-
20-10-2009, 09:58 PM
I'm sure he's winning some gullable people over and giving them the fright of their lives.

It's going to be War of the Worlds suicides all over again lmao.

I agree with you, it always does amaze me how Labour are still 20%+ in the polls, its amazing that anybody would actually consider voting them, but then again it amazes me how they come into office at all.

He is always trying to win votes, but the sad fact is that people are still won over by Labour and Gordon Brown. The other option isnt all that great either, Tony Blair v2.0 aka call me Dave.

Indeed he is. He also wants the UN to believe it as well lmao.

I'm sure the European Union will believe it (well, nobody really does believe in man-made climate change, only the ones who are out to make a killing in cash on it; Al Gore, the European Union, the British government) - thats where all his friends are you see - and no doubt they will be able to impose more regulations on this country and the government will then raise taxes.. and so the cycle continues.

Accipiter
22-10-2009, 08:07 PM
thing is, the next ice age has always been predicted to be 250 years from now, were doing **** all to encourage this except putting a door into our sky for aliens to fly through.

GommeInc
22-10-2009, 09:32 PM
Saving the world within 50 days would be like chucking a deck chair off the Titanic to lose weight. Pointless, impossible and for the paranoid who need a ruddy good slap with the get real stick.

adaym
22-10-2009, 11:33 PM
thing is, the next ice age has always been predicted to be 250 years from now, were doing **** all to encourage this except putting a door into our sky for aliens to fly through.
good, i'll be dead by then.

i'll leave my tv on standby tonight, leave my phone and laptop both plugged in even though they're both fully charged. i might leave the fire on downstairs as well. we can cope financially so i don't see why we shouldn't have a warm house.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!