PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media updating cable encryption

StefanWolves
21-10-2009, 04:07 PM
Yep, they're updating it to the yet uncracked and some say uncrackable NAGRA3.

Basically, for all the newbs who won't understand; if you are getting cable pay TV, for free (Virgin Media), it will be stopping after the new year.

Thoughts?

Recursion
21-10-2009, 05:20 PM
Fair enough on their part.

Agnostic Bear
22-10-2009, 05:19 PM
Damn straight, get those asshats off the network and free up some fantastic bandwidth and give them more profits (so far they've shown that they're willing to push it into upgrades)

Hitman
22-10-2009, 05:53 PM
Oh wow, I never even knew people could do that! :O Glad they'll be chucked off...

StefanWolves
22-10-2009, 05:57 PM
Yeah, it's massive in the UK. Encryption in Europe the US and Canada has already been updated and have been for a long time, so they have not been able to do this for quite some time. The UK, however, hasn't updated its encryption YET.

All VM cable users, expect new cards to put into your VM box if your legit.

Edited by N!ck (Forum Moderator): Accidental double post merged.

Hitman
23-10-2009, 08:39 AM
Yeah, it's massive in the UK. Encryption in Europe the US and Canada has already been updated and have been for a long time, so they have not been able to do this for quite some time. The UK, however, hasn't updated its encryption YET.

All VM cable users, expect new cards to put into your VM box if your legit.

Edited by N!ck (Forum Moderator): Accidental double post merged.
Do you know when they'll be putting new cards in the box... will they just turn up and do it?

StefanWolves
23-10-2009, 11:31 AM
Do you know when they'll be putting new cards in the box... will they just turn up and do it?

Over the next 6 months I suspect. They could start rolling it out across the UK as early as December - and they won't turn up with a new card I don't think, I assume you remember when Sky were advertising that they were switching their cards Sky cards (this was to stop card sharing) ~ it will be similar to that. They will send it you via post. There will be a TV ad campaign to make it known to the VM users and then start sending out new cards. Then I expect illegal cable viewers to be switched off during the next summer time, when VM can be 100% that all their legal cable viewers have got the new cards.

Hitman
23-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Ah when you said VM box I thought you meant the brown internet box. :( Haha I'm a noob, didn't realise you meant the TV box. :P

StefanWolves
23-10-2009, 01:08 PM
You can also do it with the internet too. ;)

Hitman
06-11-2009, 08:02 PM
Sorry to bump, but do you think they might be starting now? Got a call from Virgin Media, but my dad wasn't in so they're ringing again Monday... could it be about the encryption upgrade?

Markeh
06-11-2009, 08:48 PM
And other than the extra security, does this encryption have any other benefits?

xxMATTGxx
06-11-2009, 11:29 PM
And other than the extra security, does this encryption have any other benefits?

Well isn't that what "encryption" is all about though..

[Chris]
06-11-2009, 11:36 PM
Well, im guessing the encryption will sorta speed up everyones internet? Due to less people being on it?

It'll be minimal - but its something. No?

xxMATTGxx
06-11-2009, 11:38 PM
;6139352']Well, im guessing the encryption will sorta speed up everyones internet? Due to less people being on it?

It'll be minimal - but its something. No?

I didn't even think the card even had our broadband information on it.

[Chris]
07-11-2009, 12:04 AM
I didn't even think the card even had our broadband information on it.

Ohh, you mean TV?

Sorry, i misread

StefanWolves
07-11-2009, 12:08 AM
You're legit cable box's & internet are two totally different things.

Chippiewill
07-11-2009, 05:09 PM
You're legit cable box's & internet are two totally different things.

They run on the same line :)

xxMATTGxx
07-11-2009, 09:18 PM
They run on the same line :)

But does the card in the cable box affect the broadband though? :P

Agnostic Bear
07-11-2009, 09:55 PM
But does the card in the cable box affect the broadband though? :P

Not unless your internet goes through the box (does it ever?)

Robbie
07-11-2009, 10:13 PM

back in the day it used to do :P

xxMATTGxx
07-11-2009, 10:52 PM

back in the day it used to do :P

It sure used to be. They installed it like that the first time we got but when we upgraded a while back we made sure it wasn't connected via the box because it used to cause too many problems.

Flisker
08-11-2009, 02:42 PM
I remember our old NTL connection used to go through the box and everywhere else.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!