PDA

View Full Version : Net pirates to be 'disconnected'

StefanWolves
28-10-2009, 02:46 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8328820.stm

People who persistently download illegal content will be cut off from the net, Business Secretary Peter Mandelson has announced.
He confirmed that it would become government policy, following months of speculation.
It means persistent pirates will be sent two warning letters before facing disconnection from the network.
ISP TalkTalk said the plans were "ill-conceived" and said it was prepared to challenge measures "in the courts".

Can't see it working, ISPs will just take it to the courts and get it over turned hopefully.

Another reason to vote Conservative.

Fehm
28-10-2009, 02:47 PM
They expect us to vote for them if they do that kinda thing.
PPFFFTT My Back end.

StefanWolves
28-10-2009, 02:49 PM
They're pathetic. I for one don't want to see the Conservatives come to power, but I'd rather have them than these arse bandits that we have got at the moment, ******* ruining our country, our country is a laughing stock & is also on it's knees as it is.

Sex1
28-10-2009, 02:50 PM
never going to happen.

GommeInc
28-10-2009, 02:50 PM
What, again!? They keep saying this but it never happens, and nor should it. It will cost ISPs millions to make it possible to watch the content people are browsing, find the staff to monitor it and then comes the privacy rights and some human rights as well :/

Recursion
28-10-2009, 02:52 PM
What, again!? They keep saying this but it never happens, and nor should it. It will cost ISPs millions to make it possible to watch the content people are browsing, find the staff to monitor it and then comes the privacy rights and some human rights as well :/

You do realise most of the technology is already in place to do it? :P

And it would be totally automated, so when the system gets it wrong and disconnects someone I can see law suits coming on to be honest.

StefanWolves
28-10-2009, 02:54 PM
It's pathetic anyway, only in the UK.

**** off Labour.

x-glow
28-10-2009, 02:55 PM
OOhhh crap, I Hope this does not Happen :L, My Download days will be over :| And all my money will go from school O>O

Mickword
28-10-2009, 02:55 PM
Sorry, I totally just blanked out. Erm so anyone with like illegal music or anything like that will be disconnected, if we vote conservative. How noobish. Yeah you go talktalk.

EDIT: I know glow all my downloads will be ******, my mate will be deleted all together. and like nearly everyone on nextgen boards will be, it will cost us millions. erm we are in a rescission you idiot seriously, stop making polices that will be total bull ****, they should just say. a ladder to the moon, and be done with it.

GommeInc
28-10-2009, 02:59 PM
You do realise most of the technology is already in place to do it? :P

And it would be totally automated, so when the system gets it wrong and disconnects someone I can see law suits coming on to be honest.
I know that there are systems that moderate the content people view (that's one way you get download restrictions after downloading too much :P), but I mean done by people not by the machines which will most likely get it wrong. It will cost millions to get the staff to do it, as a machine doesn't seem all that reliable and as you said, the lawsuits would cost a bomb :P

Also, I thought it was the Lib Dems that think "private things should remain private"? Since when have the Tories followed this belief?

Black_Apalachi
28-10-2009, 03:01 PM
I haven't downloaded anything for ages but this sounds like a bit of an unrealistic idea tbh.

Tomm
28-10-2009, 10:56 PM
I'd like to see them try and cut me off with SSL encrypted usenet :D

Robbie
28-10-2009, 10:59 PM

Amen to that ;)

StefanWolves
28-10-2009, 11:59 PM
True, I use SSL usenet via Astraweb... good luck VM.

Recursion
29-10-2009, 12:38 AM
This is where you find you're cut off for using USENET :P

Black_Apalachi
29-10-2009, 01:32 AM

If it actually happens I'll be asking you what this is :P.

Tomm
29-10-2009, 10:27 AM
Apart from Usenet itself is not illegal.

This is where you find you're cut off for using USENET :P

Recursion
29-10-2009, 10:43 AM
Apart from Usenet itself is not illegal.

We're in a nanny state, anything can happen

Jamesy
29-10-2009, 10:54 AM
talk talk are stepping up a campaign against it:

http://www.dontdisconnect.us

aaand petition: http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/dontdisconnectus/

PatrickMS
31-10-2009, 04:22 PM
makes me think of what the Pirate Party UK is doing :D:D

What does that man care! I'm certain he rather read the newspapers than run after a bunch of 10 yr old kids.

This has seriously gone out of hand!

Firehorse
31-10-2009, 07:52 PM
If its an automated system then whats to stop it from cutting off people who are legally using torrents for freeware and that kind of thing?

And if people are just downloading things as normal files or zipped then unless individual files have been tagged how would the system be able to tell the difference?

Recursion
31-10-2009, 08:30 PM
If its an automated system then whats to stop it from cutting off people who are legally using torrents for freeware and that kind of thing?

And if people are just downloading things as normal files or zipped then unless individual files have been tagged how would the system be able to tell the difference?

It will probably look for certain things, who is the host of the file? For e.g. TPB or RS? Does the filename include any tags associated with piracy? The file size in comparison to the file type? 600mb AVI file? etc etc going on to possibly looks for sections of data.

Firehorse
31-10-2009, 10:12 PM
It will probably look for certain things, who is the host of the file? For e.g. TPB or RS? Does the filename include any tags associated with piracy? The file size in comparison to the file type? 600mb AVI file? etc etc going on to possibly looks for sections of data.

Ways around that stuff will be easily found :$
Starting with the heavier use of proxys i'd guess.

Chippiewill
31-10-2009, 10:12 PM
Pfft, the government will label every single packet that passes through our ISPs as Piracy.....

Honestly, they are not going to fork out the money for that and the ISPs will pretend they can't do it. Also they can't check the filename e.t.c. because it's Encrypted and is P2P. Sure they can stop anyone Downloading stuff illegally through DDL however must piracy is done over torrents and the only way to get to them is to connect to the torrents itself and to write down the IPs

And I think there's something in the pipelines about having access to the internet as a Human Right

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!