PDA

View Full Version : Good with computers? Help!

Starburst1345
06-11-2009, 06:48 PM
Earlier I had to remove and reinstall my antivirus. Now I've got a "trojan" virus, possibly others too.

Now I am guessing I need to scan my computer and delete the viruses?

It's just that scanning takes ages, and I'm worried about my online passwords - I can't change them until the scan is over since otherwise i'd just be putting that info right out there.

Also, windows defender seems to be running along with my normal antivirus now? Is that normal or should I disable windows defender?

I'm rubbish with computers so any help is greatly appreciated but no tech talk please!! :D What do I do about my password?

Recursion
06-11-2009, 06:50 PM
Windows Defender is ancient, remove that and install the new Microsoft antivirus suite. Let it scan and if you can try changing your passwords on another computer.

Starburst1345
06-11-2009, 06:55 PM
Windows Defender is ancient, remove that and install the new Microsoft antivirus suite. Let it scan and if you can try changing your passwords on another computer.

I use virgin PCguard - so does that mean I should disable all the windows/microsoft antivirus things (defender, anti suite, all those)?

And unfortunately I dont have another computer to change it on right now, is there anything I can do?

EDIT - I also hear scanning sometimes does not detect viruses. I'm scanning with Virgin PCGuard right now, so should that do the trick or will I need to do anything fancy?

Jamesy
06-11-2009, 06:59 PM
I've heard nothing but bad things about Virgin's software. I would strongly advise what Tom has said, the new Microsoft suite: http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

Starburst1345
06-11-2009, 07:01 PM
I've heard nothing but bad things about Virgin's software. I would strongly advise what Tom has said, the new Microsoft suite: http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

Ok, so if I understand correctly, this is what I need to do:

Install Microsoft suite
Disable all virgin antivirus software
scan computer using Microsoft suite
quarantine viruses
change all online passwords

Is that right? Does Microsoft Suite mean I wont need any other virus protection?

Jamesy
06-11-2009, 07:05 PM
I would uninstall all virgin applications. MSE is not a full suite, clue's in the name - essentials. It's the basics of what you need however a full suite (recommend kaspersky) is never a bad idea.

Starburst1345
06-11-2009, 07:08 PM
I would uninstall all virgin applications. MSE is not a full suite, clue's in the name - essentials. It's the basics of what you need however a full suite (recommend kaspersky) is never a bad idea.

Considering I do not visit any websites I do not know, I don't open any emails I don't know and I rarely even download anything at all and if I do I make sure its completely safe.

Keeping what I said above in mind, should Microsoft Suite be suitable to protect my details completely?

[Chris]
06-11-2009, 07:10 PM
Having

Avast! (Main)
Spybot S&D (Runs in background for changes)
And Malware Bytes anti malware

Is decent

It picks up everything for me

Starburst1345
06-11-2009, 07:12 PM
I have installed microsoft suite now, what to do next?

sorry, this all confuses me that is why I am asking so many questions :)

Having

Avast! (Main)

Is decent

dont they "conflict" with eachother or whatever happens when you have more than one antivirus installed?

Now something called windows security center has popped up! Does that need to be uninstalled now that I have the suite?

Chippiewill
06-11-2009, 08:19 PM
;6138785']Having

Avast! (Main)

Is decent

I never use spybot, they include anti spyware in AV now.

Markeh
06-11-2009, 08:50 PM
Avast! is a damn good AV. I use it on my laptop, and its pretty good.

PCGuard is slow, sluggish, and I'd recommend you get avast instead. When using PCGuard as a temporary anti-virus on my old desktop, it increased my bootup time by 45 seconds, and slowed my computer down quite a bit.

[Chris]
07-11-2009, 01:04 AM
Well, keeping spybot as a backup, you know just for peace of mind. Its not that bad though..

And no, Malware bytes doesnt run, until you run it,and Avast! and SPYbot dont conflict

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!