PDA

View Full Version : Double post

Blinger1
07-11-2009, 12:09 AM
I dunno if Habbox still installs mods/hacks (i know we didn't install hacks, but this might be worth it?)...

What do you think about installing a mod that auto mergers double posts? It would help moderators because they wouldn't have to always merge the double posts and users wouldn't need to always ask a moderator to do this.

Here is an example (http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=115609)

hah
07-11-2009, 12:12 AM
Would you not have to allow users to edit their posts for a unlimited time then??? so the double post can be merged by them???????

Blinger1
07-11-2009, 12:14 AM
nope, it auto merges them. That is what the mod does.

Nixt
07-11-2009, 12:14 AM
Moderators should not be merging double posts that aren't caused by lag. If the double post was made out of blatant disregard for the rules - i.e. too lazy to edit - then using this modification would allow people to avoid such rule breaking. On the other hand, the modification would abolish the need of such a rule. However it's a relatively minor thing and we rarely install modifications, so I don't see it happening.

Jamesy
07-11-2009, 12:15 AM
Would you not have to allow users to edit their posts for a unlimited time then??? so the double post can be merged by them???????

People would just constantly edit moderator edits and cause no end of fuss if there was unlimited editing.

Arch
07-11-2009, 12:16 AM
I rarely see double posts due to lag although sometimes it happens to me, it gets dealt with really fast becasue it never stays long and i barely see them. Although the auto - merge would i suppose help i think its abit pointless and uneeded but i guess it wouldnt hurt ?

Blinger1
07-11-2009, 12:18 AM
Moderators should not be merging double posts that aren't caused by lag. If the double post was made out of blatant disregard for the rules - i.e. too lazy to edit - then using this modification would allow people to avoid such rule breaking. On the other hand, the modification would abolish the need of such a rule. However it's a relatively minor thing and we rarely install modifications, so I don't see it happening.
I know, i pointed that out in the first post :P
I just thought because some members write "mod, merge posts!" that this might be useful.

hah
07-11-2009, 12:18 AM
People would just constantly edit moderator edits and cause no end of fuss if there was unlimited editing.

lol was saying would the users no need some sort of special permissions or an unlimited editing time for this to work :P

Nixt
07-11-2009, 12:20 AM
I know, i pointed that out in the first post :P
I just thought because some members write "mod, merge posts!" that this might be useful.

Yeah I do see your point. I think if it was a huge issue we might consider it and I appreciate how it would be useful but I just don't think the double posting issue is considerable enough for us to implement a modification that would create a security risk :p. +Rep for the suggestion though.

Blinger1
07-11-2009, 12:25 AM
that would create a security risk :p
Where would the security risk be? I think somewhere i read it was an "official plugin"? Or maybe it was just downloadable from the official website (vbulletin.org) under plugins.. i dunno :P

Jamesy
07-11-2009, 12:28 AM
It's not just security, vBulletin upgrade compatibilty too.

Nixt
07-11-2009, 12:28 AM
Where would the security risk be? I think somewhere i read it was an "official plugin"? Or maybe it was just downloadable from the official website (vbulletin.org) under plugins.. i dunno :P

Probably officially recognised, rather than being created by Jelsoft themselves. I don't know the ins and outs, but I do know that it leaves security holes or something that allows clever hackers to exploit and mess around with the Forum. It's generally accepted that modifications aren't added, however minor the risk may be, to keep that risk down to as low a level as possible.

Hecktix
07-11-2009, 12:47 AM
If a user asks a mod to merge a double post, as Garion said, unless it's caused by lag the request will not be honoured.

Black_Apalachi
07-11-2009, 02:02 AM
Someone's gonna have to teach me how to double post because it automatically stops me from posting the same thing twice within a certain time limit :).

Laggings
07-11-2009, 02:21 AM
No. Some double posts are after the 15 minute edit limit, and I don't think those get merged alot.

Black_Apalachi
07-11-2009, 02:34 AM
No. Some double posts are after the 15 minute edit limit, and I don't think those get merged alot.

They don't need to be. Once the edit time has expired, it's not considered a "double post".

Arch
07-11-2009, 05:25 AM
And if they add something new like lets say they posted saying selling 25 hcs, and psot again saying sellnig 24 its not doubling cuz ur adding something new anyways

nvrspk4
07-11-2009, 06:16 AM
My question would be, what about in situations when admins need to bump announcements?

Blinger1
07-11-2009, 09:39 PM
I dunno if it allows for double posts to be made after a certain time or what..

Yoshimitsui
07-11-2009, 10:07 PM
I don't think it has the suitability for Habbox and would cause more problems than it would remove work load. Although nice idea, but i don't see it as something for Habbox.

Laggings
07-11-2009, 10:12 PM
My question would be, what about in situations when admins need to bump announcements?

They don't need to be. Once the edit time has expired, it's not considered a "double post".

There's your answer.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!