PDA

View Full Version : new laptop, need help on anti virus.

alexxxxx
07-11-2009, 05:21 PM
i've got a new laptop (windows 7) and it's the first time i've really started using a windows system as my number one in a long time. (mac type)

apart from the basics like firefox, spotify, itunes (maybe).

I need a free anti-virus. I don't like McAffee cause you have to pay plus it slows you down loads... HIT ME, plus any other nessesaties.

+REP to the best ^_____________^

Special
07-11-2009, 05:23 PM
"AntiVir" is good, so is "Avast!"

I recommend those 2 :)

Safe download @ www.Download.com (http://www.Download.com)

Mint
07-11-2009, 05:26 PM
Should of just saved up a bit extra for a Macbook. :(

AVG was the way for me! Obviously it is going to slow your PC down a bit but going 2nd class has its downsides. ;)

alexxxxx
07-11-2009, 05:31 PM
Should of just saved up a bit extra for a Macbook. :(

AVG was the way for me! Obviously it is going to slow your PC down a bit but going 2nd class has its downsides. ;)

my parents wouldn't pay for a macbook =[ got a pretty nice sony vaio so im pretty happy though. not sure how i'll adapt to windows 7. i am missing os x already ahahaha.

keep suggestions coming!

hamheyelliot
07-11-2009, 05:33 PM
I've just upgraded to 7, so I chose the Microsoft offering as it's free, not obtrusive and seems reliable so far...

http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

About Microsoft Security Essentials

Microsoft Security Essentials provides real-time protection for your home PC that guards against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software.
Microsoft Security Essentials is a free download from Microsoft that is simple to install, easy to use, and always kept up to date so you can be assured your PC is protected by the latest technology. It’s easy to tell if your PC is secure — when you’re green, you’re good. It’s that simple.
Microsoft Security Essentials runs quietly and efficiently in the background so that you are free to use your Windows-based PC the way you want—without interruptions or long computer wait times.

Mint
07-11-2009, 06:17 PM
my parents wouldn't pay for a macbook =[ got a pretty nice sony vaio so im pretty happy though. not sure how i'll adapt to windows 7. i am missing os x already ahahaha.

keep suggestions coming!

Sony VAIO's ftw! My old laptop is a newish Sony VAIO and I still use it when I cba sitting at the desk. :)

GommeInc
07-11-2009, 11:53 PM

keep suggestions coming!
You'll adapt fine, Windows 7 is lovely :P

I use AVG which works fine, and I've heard good things about Microsoft's Security Essentials (already linked by someone) :)

What do you need iTunes for? Just wondering :) Windows Media Player works really well in 7, and Windows Media Centre is good too if you're only watching DVDs or listening to music (as it is a full-screen style program).

Stephen!
08-11-2009, 12:11 PM
Seconded for Security Essentials.

Markeh
08-11-2009, 09:57 PM
Seconded for Avast!

@GommeInc - he probably has iTunes for an iPhone/iPod

alexxxxx
08-11-2009, 11:06 PM
i have an ipod and a library with about 20gig of music.

jam666
11-11-2009, 01:24 AM
Here is a list of the ones i use:

* AVG Free Edition 9.0
* Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
* SUPERantispyware

I can recommend all three :)

Zokoli
14-11-2009, 10:17 AM
AVG Free or get Pro [loads of cracks/keys in places - just don't go dodgy, look at the comments etc.]
Avast!
Norton 360.

Kevin
14-11-2009, 12:08 PM
ESET Antivirus is by far the best antivirus, it's not free but key's for the program can be obtained at nod325.com.

Isolde
14-11-2009, 02:35 PM

keep suggestions coming!

what model is the sony vaio so i can search up the specs? as im thinkin of buying a sony instead of acer as ive heard bad things about acer laptops.

The Professor
15-11-2009, 01:04 PM
AVG runs fine on 7, far better than it did on XP and vista in my experience. NOD32, avast and antivir are all good ones too, take your pick :)

-Hannah-
15-11-2009, 01:16 PM
AVG is the best xx

N!ck
15-11-2009, 01:42 PM
avast! is great, I've been using it for years.

And Mint, Windows is not second class ;).

GommeInc
15-11-2009, 02:27 PM
avast! is great, I've been using it for years.

And Mint, Windows is not second class ;).
Don't feed the troll, he won't change his views and has clearly said that to spark a response ;)

And oh yeah, forgot iTunes was the only gateway to iPods :P I'm assuming you've got the laptop, or a laptop now Alexxxxx? :)

N!ck
15-11-2009, 02:59 PM
Don't feed the troll, he won't change his views and has clearly said that to spark a response ;)

And oh yeah, forgot iTunes was the only gateway to iPods :P I'm assuming you've got the laptop, or a laptop now Alexxxxx? :)

Damn, if I wasn't a moderator this post would look very different.

But yeah, if you have an iPod it's not worth the hassle using something other than iTunes to sync it. I dislike iTunes though.

GommeInc
15-11-2009, 03:22 PM
I've never really used it, I think I had it on my old computer but upon opening it, it used to say weird things. And when Quicktime kept telling me download it when it needed an update, I just gave up with both of them :/ Not the best software in the world, it's a shame iTunes is the only properly working media centre you can use for iPods. Some products out there allow transfers, but that's about it :/

More reason to get a Zune, Zen or whatever instead of a iPod imo, they work with WMP and can be updated via the media device folders in 7 and Vista. like a memory stick/external device :P Hopefully Apple will make it easier in the future :/

The Professor
16-11-2009, 04:46 PM
Apple will never make it easier for you, I recently got a touch and everything is done though your itunes account, tbh its really crap because i can't stand the software it performs like a dog and I never buy music so I don't need it. They like you being in their little world in case you ever do need to buy music, you'll have itunes open and go "ooh itunes has it, BUY". They're an evil company and need to be shot :'(

Mint
18-11-2009, 11:32 PM

Chill, I'm just having a friendly joke with Alex. He did actually kind of agree with me anyway. :P But it's not all that bad, the Sony VAIO's are good machines. Besides, it sounds as if he would of got a Macbook if his parents were willing to pay more. Trust you to pick out a friendly joke (that has a friendly response so it was clearly all ok) and turn it into some Mac vs Windows argument. :rolleyes: You could say that my 'friendly joke' was a Mac vs Windows comment but then I could say you didn't have the common sense to see that it was only a joke. There was no need for your -rep (not that I actually care about rep).

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!