PDA

View Full Version : Linux, BSD, OS X - Now illegal in the United States of America

Agnostic Bear
12-11-2009, 02:06 AM
http://patft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/PTO/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=7,617,530.PN.&OS=PN/7,617,530&RS=PN/7,617,530

dohohoho microsoft patented sudo

sLaggings
12-11-2009, 02:18 AM
Monopoly of the market, complete **.

Blinger1
12-11-2009, 02:23 AM
lets hear everyone complain..

Tomm
12-11-2009, 08:27 AM
How the hell can you get a patent for something already invented by someone else? >.>

HotelUser
12-11-2009, 11:52 AM
Got to love their seek and destroy business techniques.

And some people around here complain about Apple's commercials :rolleyes:

Pyroka
12-11-2009, 12:34 PM
hahaha epic lols. i think microsoft have done this just to troll other operating systems, which inevitably will work and lead to a fun lawsuit. Of course Microsoft will lose because everyone thinks Microsoft is a massive cashpot, therefore break the pot and all the money flies out wooooo. :rolleyes:

Markeh
12-11-2009, 04:18 PM
I can see it now. Police entering buildings, and walking out with confiscated Linux netbooks, and iMacs, with their owners pleading for them back and crying about the unfair Microsoft monopoly.

Not.

It's just a patent, it isn't going to cause the above.

jackass
12-11-2009, 04:30 PM

Yes, welcome to the world of business. :)

N!ck
12-11-2009, 04:31 PM
Lol, when was this patented?

jackass
12-11-2009, 04:32 PM
Lol, when was this patented?

November 10, 2009.

N!ck
12-11-2009, 04:35 PM
November 10, 2009.

Ah, I see it now. Epic lol.

Edit: Look what Apple have been patenting today :S http://www.latestpatents.com/apple-patent-applications-published-on-12-november-2009/

GommeInc
12-11-2009, 04:42 PM

And some people around here complain about Apple's commercials :rolleyes:
Don't be silly, marketing and business practices such as these are completely different - different teams and departments (usually) :rolleyes:

And yay, although Linux and BSD should be left alone, they're less annoying and aren't worshipped like the Ten Commandments by the odd few people who ruin it for the majority :P

EDIT: Hmmm, Patents seem to be less and less useful these days :P It just looks like they've been let lose with the patent maker, like Supermarket Sweep but with patents :/

sLaggings
12-11-2009, 04:44 PM
How the hell can you get a patent for something already invented by someone else? >.>

I could invent... idk. I could invent miniture bikes. But without a patent, I don't own what I just invented.

Chippiewill
12-11-2009, 05:47 PM
It was filed in '05, so Windows is also legal for 4 more years :P.

HotelUser
13-11-2009, 11:25 AM
Don't be silly, marketing and business practices such as these are completely different - different teams and departments (usually) :rolleyes:

And yay, although Linux and BSD should be left alone, they're less annoying and aren't worshipped like the Ten Commandments by the odd few people who ruin it for the majority :P

EDIT: Hmmm, Patents seem to be less and less useful these days :P It just looks like they've been let lose with the patent maker, like Supermarket Sweep but with patents :/

Nope too late. Whenever you bring up those pesky ads I'm now going to bring up Microsoft's attempt at patenting sudo!

GommeInc
13-11-2009, 12:15 PM
Nope too late. Whenever you bring up those pesky ads I'm now going to bring up Microsoft's attempt at patenting sudo!

I'm guessing you never read N!ck's post? :P

Edit: Look what Apple have been patenting today :S http://www.latestpatents.com/apple-patent-applications-published-on-12-november-2009/

And pesky advertising shows Apple up as pests. Microsoft and their patenting skills just show them up as anti-social :P Although whether they actually get away with this patent is beyond me (chances are no-one will care, patents are virtually worthless and crude towards the creator :P). It looks like a "who can patent the most things and what?" games.

Blob
13-11-2009, 04:40 PM

Then I'll bring up when Apple tried to sue Microsoft about 189 GUI elements in Windows 2.0 and 3.0 and failed ;)

Pyroka
13-11-2009, 05:49 PM

EL OH EL patenting reading discs on a cd drive :D system and method of authentification.... hmmmmmmmmmmm PASSWORDS? LOL. We patented passwords. Clever. Ooft and theyre having a dig at PowerPoint with digital presentations :P Niceee.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!