PDA

View Full Version : Water found on the Moon

Neversoft
14-11-2009, 01:23 AM
Nasa's experiment last month to find water on the Moon was a major success, US scientists have announced.

The space agency smashed a rocket and a probe into a large crater at the lunar south pole, hoping to kick up ice.

Scientists who have studied the data now say instruments trained on the impact plume saw copious quantities of water-ice and water vapour.

One researcher described this as the equivalent of "a dozen two-gallon buckets" of water.

"We didn't just find a little bit; we found a significant amount," said Anthony Colaprete, chief scientist for the Lunar Crater Observation and Sensing Satellite (LCROSS) mission.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8359744.stm

History in the making.

Blinger1
14-11-2009, 01:27 AM
I honestly don't see much coming from this in my life time...

FlyingJesus
14-11-2009, 01:33 AM
I would have thought the more interesting part of it (rather than for us to use on a potential moon base) would be that where there's water there's life - it's possible that even if nothing lives there now, there was at some point in history some form of life. Likely nothing bigger than bacteria but even so that's technically aliens :P

PaulMacC
14-11-2009, 07:23 AM
The last person on the moon probably dropped his bottle of water.
As Blinger said though, I'm not going to see anything in my lifetime so meh.

xxMATTGxx
14-11-2009, 09:37 AM
Quite a good find for NASA. New ISS? But this time land based on the moon which will then help them look further to other planets such as Mars. I find this stuff interesting so yeah xD.

Browney
14-11-2009, 10:23 AM
The last person on the moon probably dropped his bottle of water.
As Blinger said though, I'm not going to see anything in my lifetime so meh.

Mm, not so much, if they know there's water, the next step is to excavate this water, then look for bacteria, life in it's most primitive form. It won't take 60 years to do that. So by the time you're 40 you could already know there's life on another planet.

(I know the moon isn't a planet. Can't think of the word though.)

Ardemax
14-11-2009, 11:55 AM
woop!!!

great find by NASA!! :D

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!