View Full Version : Massive DDoS attack on dedicated server

Hitman
14-11-2009, 09:19 AM
Hi, somebody I know has a fairly successful site, and over the past few days somebody has launched a DDoS attack on the site. There was no protection, however the owner of the site got his host to install "Juniper" firewall. This blocked a very large amount of the attacks, but the attack was too strong and it caused a DDoS attack on the firewall, rendering it useless.

So I'm requesting for some help on behalf of this person... they're using a Linux server. Can anybody suggest any software, free or paid, that will defend the server against this huge attack?

Thank you.

Flisker
14-11-2009, 10:23 AM
I think the only effective way is to get the datacentre to install a hardware firewall on the servers network. This will help a lot more than software firewalls.

Hitman
14-11-2009, 10:51 AM
I think the only effective way is to get the datacentre to install a hardware firewall on the servers network. This will help a lot more than software firewalls.
I doubt his host will do that just for him. :( Any other solutions?

Tomm
14-11-2009, 11:59 AM
http://www.gigenet.com/ddos-protection.html

Does not come cheap though.

Hitman
14-11-2009, 09:05 PM
Thanks for that link... well the guy had to move host because of the attack. He's now going with Hostgator on a dedicated server. They include DDoS protection... anybody been with them?

They basically said they have an extensive custom firewall rule and large mod_security rulesets protecting their servers... they said if they experience heavy flooding then they get their datacenter to enable network level flood protection. They also have other security methods and precautions which are confidential... sound any good?

If the site gets back on track I think the dude is willing to invest the $750 or whatever a month for blockdos's protection.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!