PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Slim makes louds crack sounds after turning off!?

Firehorse
14-11-2009, 08:26 PM
Its as if something inside expands due to heat and then when it cools down and it resizes it makes a couple of loudish cracking sounds, like dropping a plastic pen against a wooden table kind of sound.

Think this is down to bad design?

Thread closed by iAdam (Forum Super Moderator); Closed due to bump.

Black_Apalachi
15-11-2009, 06:28 AM
Could it be something loose inside (possibly around the fan or motor) so as it slows down, you hear it rattle a couple of times until it stops?

Firehorse
15-11-2009, 10:36 AM
Could it be something loose inside (possibly around the fan or motor) so as it slows down, you hear it rattle a couple of times until it stops?

no it made a smaller cracking sound later on too, the fans are so small anyway they stop instantly. Its like a plastic click sound when you push a clip on a case together or something.

Gibs960
15-11-2009, 10:54 AM
Just take it back where you got it from and they'll sort it if u've got a garantee.

Firehorse
15-11-2009, 02:12 PM
Just take it back where you got it from and they'll sort it if u've got a garantee.

Well I don't think theres any problems with the actual system, if it does break or anything then i'll send it back under warentee

BoomItsClowgon
17-11-2009, 11:56 PM
Its as if something inside expands due to heat and then when it cools down and it resizes it makes a couple of loudish cracking sounds, like dropping a plastic pen against a wooden table kind of sound.

Think this is down to bad design?

I have the same problem but on my 80gb. How strange this it may sound... but the cracking noise only occurs when i slowly switch it off from the back. It doesn't make any noise if i just switch it off, but if i
slowly switch it off then it makes that dreadful cracking sound.

Black_Apalachi
18-11-2009, 12:21 AM
Even if it doesn't properly break, still get it sorted before your guarantee runs out otherwise it could develop into a bigger problem.

Firehorse
19-11-2009, 06:57 PM
Even if it doesn't properly break, still get it sorted before your guarantee runs out otherwise it could develop into a bigger problem.

But I don't think it will, its just annoying. Like a metal roof thuds when it heats up and cools down. probably something metal inside which expands that wasn't designed right.

syko2006
20-11-2009, 03:13 PM
I too notice this with my slim, it's like when a car engine turns off and it literally ticks it's self cool, I don't think it's a problem, just the plastic case of the PS3 cooling down I reckon. :)

stoleagle
05-12-2009, 09:56 PM
I have noticed this too. I put it down to the psu being in the console and heating up the casing. It's very quiet compared to the 360 so either it has some large low RPM fans inside, or similar sized but they are spinning slower which would probably lead to less heat getting out and slight expansion of the casing.

Either way other than being a bit odd, I'm not worried about it being a fault.

Firehorse
08-12-2009, 08:04 PM
Seems to have stopped doing it recently... maybe it does it more as a new console and then settles down a bit after a fair bit of use.

no harm done anyway =]

LMS16
02-01-2010, 08:16 PM
This occurs when the motherboard is cooling down, maybe the casing to but the motherboard always does it. My ps3 makes a kind of "dial up" noise when cooling down, I fix ps3's and the it involves heating the mother board up to about 200/300 degrees and letting it cool down, during the cooling down its make the same noise that you're describing. This is perfectly normal and nothing will break, I dont think ;)

Lew.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!