PDA

View Full Version : Unable to boot into XP, safe mode works.

Markeh
23-11-2009, 04:43 PM
I've got this old PC (given to me today by a friend, who claimed it was in full working order). It's a Pentium III 450Mhz (old, I know, but the PC was free...), 128Mb RAM, and an 8Gb HDD, running XP Professional. It's got a graphics card, sound card, wired LAN and Wi-Fi card on it. This is all I know, as it won't boot into Windows itself. There's only keyboard, mouse, monitor (which defo works), and the power lead plugged in.

The machine loads up to the splash screen, but then just goes black with no cursor. When I reboot, it will boot into Safe Mode, but from there, I don't know how to diagnose the problem further.

I have no discs, no COA, no product keys or anything for XP with the machine.

Any ideas as to how to fix this?

Markeh
23-11-2009, 05:04 PM
Sorry for double post, but I tried booting again. This time, it came up with a grey loading bar before the Windows XP splash screen. The bar was similar to the one you see when resuming XP from sleep mode, but there was no writing.

Recursion
23-11-2009, 05:04 PM
Download some discs, then get Magical Jellybean Keyfinder and find the key in safemode :P

Markeh
23-11-2009, 05:09 PM
A solution to the problem would be more preferable than a Reinstall, to be fair.

I think it has something to do with my monitor, as it says Mode Not Supported after it goes black. I suspect the resolution of the screen before I got it was bigger than I have now, so is there a way to change resolution of the main PC while in Safe Mode?

Murrrrr,
23-11-2009, 05:10 PM
Before I start, I'd just like to let you know I'm not IT professional (which will probably be proven in a few lines time.)

I had this with my computer I'm using now, turns out the monitor was the wrong size, and couldn't handle the resolution of the actual computer. :rolleyes:

Recursion
23-11-2009, 05:48 PM
Before I start, I'd just like to let you know I'm not IT professional (which will probably be proven in a few lines time.)

I had this with my computer I'm using now, turns out the monitor was the wrong size, and couldn't handle the resolution of the actual computer. :rolleyes:

Uhh how does that work? Surely the computer wouldn't be able to handle the monitor's resolution? Your computer resolution can be easily changed tbh :P

OP, Try remote desktoping into it from another machine.

Markeh
23-11-2009, 05:51 PM
Anything I can do to change the resolution in Normal Mode, while in safe mode?

I'd try another monitor, but the only other monitor I have is exactly the same model.

It's a ProView 17".

Murrrrr,
23-11-2009, 05:51 PM
A solution to the problem would be more preferable than a Reinstall, to be fair.

I think it has something to do with my monitor, as it says Mode Not Supported after it goes black. I suspect the resolution of the screen before I got it was bigger than I have now, so is there a way to change resolution of the main PC while in Safe Mode?

I had the same problem, for some reason whenever I changed the resolution in Safe Mode, it always wen't back to it's old resolution when I rebooted it. I had to buy myself a new suiting monitor.

Good luck.

paul4wolves
23-11-2009, 06:10 PM
press F8 on boot and try it in VGA mode -- try an change the resolution -- if that don't work -- **** it and reinstall. JOB DONE.

The Professor
23-11-2009, 07:00 PM

Wow that's actually a good idea, I wouldn't have thought of that!

Graphics card drivers should do the trick, once that's installed it shouldn't allow the computer to display the wrong resolution.

Markeh
23-11-2009, 07:27 PM
Sorted the resolution in VGA mode, and it now boots :D

paul4wolves
23-11-2009, 07:28 PM
happy to help :D

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!