PDA

View Full Version : Wireless dongle problems (Netgear & Windows 7 64 bit)

Axel
23-11-2009, 09:26 PM
Hey, don't know if it's a long shot asking here, or if it's even the right forum, but here goes.

I recently bought a new PC with Windows 7 64 bit on it (there wasn't an option to have 32 bit anyway). For my old PC, I was using a Buffalo wireless dongle. It would occasionally drop connection, but that was only because when my PC was overloaded with memory, it would drop the connection (it was a pretty bad pc). Anyway, once I bought my new PC, I found out that my Buffalo wireless dongle wouldn't work with Windows 7 64 bit. So I had to get a new wireless dongle from netgear to work with Windows 7 64 bit.... which has just disconnected whilst I'm typing this.

Ye, it seems to disconnect a lot. Probably more than my old Buffalo. But that is not the problem I'm concerned with. What's really bugging me is reconnecting once the connection has been lost. Usually, once the connection has been lost, I'd expect the Netgear dongle to pick the router back up, and reconnect to it. But instead, all it does is search endlessly, no longer being to even detect the router when I do a router scan, and it keeps changing the channel (you can see what this looks like in the screenshot provided). Anyway, I've tested it out, and once it has disconnected it'll never seem to reconnect. I've left it on for an hour after it's disconnected and done something else, it never reconnects. I've tried disabling my firewall, that doesn't help it reconnect. The only way to reconnect the signal between the dongle and the router is for my to either restart my computer, or to unplug and replug the dongle in the USB, which gets really really annoying.

As I say, it might be a long shot... but anyone know what might be wrong?

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/5763/pos.png (http://img99.imageshack.us/i/pos.png/)

paul4wolves
23-11-2009, 09:32 PM
i guess you have installed at 32x driver - just get a new one you can pick them up for like 10 quid these days.

awelsh
23-11-2009, 10:17 PM
Maybe your signal is very poor? if both your old pc and the new one is dropping the connection.

Axel
23-11-2009, 10:24 PM
Ye, the signal is poor, but that's not the problem, the problem is reconnecting.

awelsh
24-11-2009, 10:20 PM
Tried running the program in compatibility mode? I had to do that for my belkin wireless card in the PC because it wasnt Win7 compatible.

Chippiewill
26-11-2009, 09:57 PM
Ye, the signal is poor, but that's not the problem, the problem is reconnecting.

Try changing your router's channel to a different number. Also you should go into Windows Settings and make windows the default Wi-Fi configuration client. It may be better at the reconnecting stuff. I'm not sure but in XP it was called 'Zero Config'

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!