PDA

View Full Version : Best Distro for a Pentium III + Dual-Booting with XP?

Markeh
24-11-2009, 08:35 PM
I've got an old ancient desktop (given to me by a friend). It's running a Pentium III (450Mhz) on an MSI MS-6131 mobo, 128Mb RAM, an ATI RAGE 128 GL graphics card, an 8Gb Toshiba hard drive, a CD-ROM drive, a BT Voyager 1040 Wi-Fi card, a Creative ES1371 sound card, and is currently running XP.

I'd like to run a distro of Linux (any distro will do, so long as it will run fairly well on my system), and would like to dual boot with the XP I already have. I'm a complete novice to Linux, dual-booting, or anything to do with what I want to do, to be fair.

Any good distros to use? How do I do the dual boot?

HotelUser
26-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Download an application called wubi. Open it in Windows XP. It will automatically install Ubuntu -without even touching your partitions- from inside XP, ready to dual boot. When you don't want it anymore you can even uninstall it like any application from XP:)

Markeh
27-11-2009, 07:47 AM
Thanks for the help, but the hard disk decided to fail yesterday :S taking the sound card and Wi-Fi card and then getting rid of the thing

HotelUser
27-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the help, but the hard disk decided to fail yesterday :S taking the sound card and Wi-Fi card and then getting rid of the thing

That gives you an excuse to get an even larger hard drive!

Markeh
27-11-2009, 04:31 PM
To be fair, it's a Pentium III, I have a slightly better desktop (AMD Sempron 2400+ ftw), but I got important stuff on it, and I daren't risk putting Linux on it :D

HotelUser
28-11-2009, 02:59 PM
To be fair, it's a Pentium III, I have a slightly better desktop (AMD Sempron 2400+ ftw), but I got important stuff on it, and I daren't risk putting Linux on it :D

There's no risks of losing your data with wubi, because no partitioning is happening.

Markeh
28-11-2009, 05:26 PM
So, is Wubi like running something in VirtualBox then?

And will it run on my (slightly better) desktop? (AMD Sempron 2400+, 256Mb RAM, MSI KM3M-V mobo, 40Gb HDD, XP)

HotelUser
01-12-2009, 01:27 AM
So, is Wubi like running something in VirtualBox then?

And will it run on my (slightly better) desktop? (AMD Sempron 2400+, 256Mb RAM, MSI KM3M-V mobo, 40Gb HDD, XP)

It's not running ontop of Windows. It creates a virtual hard drive stored on your C drive, then it's mounted upon boot and Ubuntu recognizes it as physical harddrive. Quite cool, actually. The "virtual" hard drive is stored as a file in the c:\Ubuntu folder. Other than that folder your Windows is left untouched!

And yes it should run on that machine just fine.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!