PDA

View Full Version : PCI/PCI-E things

The Professor
26-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Quick question:

Can I put a PCI card into a PCI-E slot and have it work with no problems? I've googled it and keep getting conflicting answers!

Thanks in advance

GommeInc
26-11-2009, 08:05 PM
Doubt it. If you search Motherboard PCI-E, a PCI would have to at least go in the PCI-E slot the wrong way round as the slots are different design wise.

|----|------------------| ~ PCI-E
|--------------|----| ~ PCI

N!ck
26-11-2009, 08:42 PM
No.

But you can put a lower PCI-E card in a bigger/higher PCI-E slot if that helps.

Stephen!
26-11-2009, 09:16 PM
And also you can put a x16 card in a x4 slot, although you have to half of the bottom bit off the card.

N!ck
26-11-2009, 09:38 PM
And also you can put a x16 card in a x4 slot, although you have to half of the bottom bit off the card.

You sure about that? Never heard of it and can't find anything from Google. Other than putting an x16 card in an x16 connector that runs at x4 speed of course.

Stephen!
26-11-2009, 09:43 PM
You sure about that? Never heard of it and can't find anything from Google. Other than putting an x16 card in an x16 connector that runs at x4 speed of course.

Yeah some guys do it on OCN. It's risky to the card of course, however it does work.

N!ck
26-11-2009, 09:44 PM
Yeah some guys do it on OCN. It's risky to the card of course, however it does work.

Fair enough. Does it still work with things like graphics cards that have connectors on the bit that gets cut off?

Edit: I see that it does :).

Stephen!
26-11-2009, 09:49 PM
Yes it does. I believe that the gold connections just represent the different lanes e.g x16. So if you remove them it just reduced the bandwidth or something like that. Not really in the know about it.

The Professor
26-11-2009, 11:11 PM
Bah pain in the bum. I need some more USB ports and PCI-E USB cards are soooo expensive compared to PCI ones :(

Thanks anyway guys!

Tomm
26-11-2009, 11:25 PM
Check to see if you have any spare USB connectors on your mobo that you'd normally use to hookup your front panel USB ports. My mobo has two USB connectors and only one is used for the front panel - you can get an adapter to provide more USB ports on a expansion slot back plate using the other connector.

If you don't - how many USB devices are you using lol? :P

Bah pain in the bum. I need some more USB ports and PCI-E USB cards are soooo expensive compared to PCI ones :(

Thanks anyway guys!

The Professor
27-11-2009, 05:31 PM
I don't know what a usb connector looks like lol :P

I have loads of USB things that I don't like having to unplug/plug in. I have my keyboard and mouse, external HDD, usb headset, speakers, printer, gamepad, ipod charger cable thing, USB hub (pain in the arse usb hub that can't power anything and keeps getting knocked off :P), usb ports on monitor and other stuff which I genuinely can't remember, I never have enough anyway :P And PCI usb cards are only like a fiver so yknow

N!ck
27-11-2009, 05:51 PM
I don't know what a usb connector looks like lol :P

I have loads of USB things that I don't like having to unplug/plug in. I have my keyboard and mouse, external HDD, usb headset, speakers, printer, gamepad, ipod charger cable thing, USB hub (pain in the arse usb hub that can't power anything and keeps getting knocked off :P), usb ports on monitor and other stuff which I genuinely can't remember, I never have enough anyway :P And PCI usb cards are only like a fiver so yknow

They look like this. http://www.asusreviews.com/forum/images/assets/fried%20motherboard.jpg (ignore that fact it's a fried board lol).

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!