PDA

View Full Version : 'elf and safety Christmas 'Tree' for Poole

-:Undertaker:-
26-11-2009, 08:48 PM
A town has spent £14,000 on a health and safety-approved fake Christmas tree after being told a real one was a danger to the public. The traditional Norway fir tree, that costs about £500, has been axed this Christmas in Poole in Dorset amid fears it would fall over in high winds. So officials have defied the recession and forked out for the artificial 33ft tall tree that is shaped like a traffic cone and has no branches or decorations.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/11/26/article-1231160-075DEADB000005DC-49_468x601.jpg

Daily Mail (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1231160/Health-safety-forces-council-swap-traditional-Christmas-tree-14-000-traffic-cone.html)

The sad thing is that stories such as these don't suprise me anymore.

Bun
26-11-2009, 08:49 PM
woo that's pretty.

GommeInc
26-11-2009, 08:56 PM
Hmmm, it's not an awful tree to be honest, but a normal tree is hardly as dangerous as a cone - both are quite bad :P

e5
26-11-2009, 08:58 PM
Needs lights on it:S

GommeInc
26-11-2009, 09:04 PM
I'm assuming it's not decorated yet :P If you look at the buildings behind, they're quite blank too. Strange though, decorations should be up by now. Usually it's the week before December starts at the latest.

Yoshimitsui
26-11-2009, 09:14 PM
Think it will look better lit up at night.

26-11-2009, 09:15 PM
It does, theres a picture on the article. The thing is though, this cost many times more and looks awful in the day time, the time when most people are out and about.

GommeInc
26-11-2009, 09:19 PM
It does, theres a picture on the article. The thing is though, this cost many times more and looks awful in the day time, the time when most people are out and about.
Oh yeah, so there is. It looks nice at night, shame about the daytime :P You'd think they could perfect a way so the tree is secure? Barriers around it, and a special stand to keep it steady is all it needs. Shouldn't cost alot :/

Ardemax
27-11-2009, 06:32 AM
what a shambles

danger to the public? just lol

Black_Apalachi
27-11-2009, 09:00 AM
The Christmas tree in our local town centre always has a big metal fence around it, dunno which looks worse tbh.

When are they gonna be banned all together for causing offence to non-Christians anyway?

Accipiter
27-11-2009, 11:26 AM
The Christmas tree in our local town centre always has a big metal fence around it, dunno which looks worse tbh.

When are they gonna be banned all together for causing offence to non-Christians anyway?

ours had for the last few years, because you'd get freaks stealing the empty presents off the tree, or smashing the lights (like they did before :l and now we have no funky lights) but making a tree stable really isn't that hard... just put a box around the ******. not 14k for a new **** one. GAWDDD im all for modernism but thats just minging.

grape.
27-11-2009, 02:16 PM
what an ugly 'tree.'

hah
27-11-2009, 03:08 PM
it looks lost

Ardemax
27-11-2009, 04:19 PM

I'm sorry but christmas trees have no symbolism towards christmas.. or the actual meaning of christmas.

just because they're called "christmas trees" doesn't mean they're related to the meaning.

kthnx.

alexxxxx
27-11-2009, 05:45 PM
can't even complain it's labour cause it's conservative.

it's pathetic, if it's been good enough for the last few years, why not this year, unless something chanegd to make the wind on it more? The tree in nottingham is very large and is in an exposed square. All it has is a box around it...

Seems very bizarre.

GommeInc
27-11-2009, 05:56 PM
I'm sorry but christmas trees have no symbolism towards christmas.. or the actual meaning of christmas.

just because they're called "christmas trees" doesn't mean they're related to the meaning.

kthnx.
I think he was being sarcastic dear, it's kinda obvious Christmas Trees bear no relation to religious beliefs or views, nor have any sort of religious symbolism ;) It's so annoying having to write out the meaning behinds jokes :( He was revolving the joke around basic things like Christmas cards turning bland and un-interesting, and other meaningless changes in the way Christmas is perceived (Christmas Cards slowly becoming "Winter Cards", where images are of snow and robins, Santa isn't pictured, nor trees or decorations).

Both to many are the same anyway :P

Black_Apalachi
27-11-2009, 06:51 PM

kthnx.

Oh dear God. That's worse than all your posts in the Current Affairs forum combined!

I was referring to Christmas being a religious event on the Christian calendar therefore I'm surprised the idea of showing off a huge symbol of it right in everybody's faces as they shop, isn't persecuted as being offensive to other religions. I mean if something as discrete as a womon wearing a cross around her neck at work can cause as much of an uproar as it did, then I wouldn't have been surprised if something like this, which is actually a public thing, was more of an issue.

27-11-2009, 06:55 PM

it's pathetic, if it's been good enough for the last few years, why not this year, unless something chanegd to make the wind on it more? The tree in nottingham is very large and is in an exposed square. All it has is a box around it...

Seems very bizarre.

It wouldn't matter whether it was Labour, Conservatives or the Liberal Democrats - sick of these people interferring in things which have worked fine for the past century or so.

Ardemax
27-11-2009, 08:45 PM
calm down dear!

the tree is a shambles, let's be honest, and it's not like someone's going to vandalise it and knock it down

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!