PDA

View Full Version : Terminally Ill Grandad

Cheryl
02-12-2009, 07:31 PM
I have just been told that my grandad is terminally ill with secondary cancer in the lungs, he has growths on his lungs that will continue to grow, he has been given 1-4 years to live. The main thing is he will be in no pain until about a week before he dies (we have been told) I think he has had a good life, being fairly well off throughout his life. He has had a long (11 years so far) retirement and is on holiday most of the time. What should I say to him, do with him etc? Thanks

George

Meree.
02-12-2009, 07:35 PM
This is really sad. :'(
All I can say is to spend as much time with him as you can & Love & Care for him. = (

Cyndia
02-12-2009, 07:46 PM
Yeah, meree's got the right of it. Just spend time with him, he loves you and that would be the greatest gift of all. My grandpa died about 5 years ago, but I remember we would spend time together and go random places like to the aquarium and to museums in dc, and we used to play boardgames and such like no other. And as for what to say, don't keep saying sorry or bringing up the fact that he's going to die. I'm sure he doesn't want to be reminded, and the best thing would be just to take his mind off of it.

Meree.
02-12-2009, 07:49 PM
Yeah, meree's got the right of it. Just spend time with him, he loves you and that would be the greatest gift of all. My grandpa died about 5 years ago, but I remember we would spend time together and go random places like to the aquarium and to museums in dc, and we used to play boardgames and such like no other. And as for what to say, don't keep saying sorry or bringing up the fact that he's going to die. I'm sure he doesn't want to be reminded, and the best thing would be just to take his mind off of it.

100% agree with ya. Just give him all the love POSSIBLE!!

iAdam
02-12-2009, 08:02 PM
Do spend time with him, as others have said, But unless you are a really strong person, don't go to see him in hospital when the time comes, just let the last times be good times.

Cheryl
02-12-2009, 08:25 PM
Thanks to all, I will try and take all this into account

Wig44.
02-12-2009, 09:36 PM
The thing to remember is he (like most elderly people) have come to terms with their age and the concept that their life is almost up, but it really isn't an easy thing to do so as said before don't constantly bring it up. The main point is, he is most likely not afraid - I hope this is consolation.

Smits
02-12-2009, 09:45 PM
Try to keep his mind off the fact hes dying. Spend time with him but don't go over the top. In other words, don't make him feel like the only reason people are now with him is ebcause they know he's dying. Try to have fun with him and don't let him get depressed.

Sunnily
02-12-2009, 10:20 PM
I agree :l you should spend alot of time with you. This will make you feel better and will tell him that you care about him. Thats probably the best thing he could ask for from you.

Cyndia
03-12-2009, 04:16 PM
Do spend time with him, as others have said, But unless you are a really strong person, don't go to see him in hospital when the time comes, just let the last times be good times.

It'll be really hard and rough to see him in the hospital, but even if you're not that strong, I think you should go see him anyway. Otherwise you may regret not getting to see him in the end.. But hopefully you won't need to worry about this for another few years at least!

Anamations
03-12-2009, 08:06 PM
Really Sorry To hear that my grandads very ill aswell atm it has something to do with is lungs but not cancer, All i can say is just spend as much time as possible with him if hes only got a few years left , just enjoy every moment nothing lasts for ever :(

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!