PDA

View Full Version : Visual merchandising..

Turnip
02-12-2009, 10:59 PM
[MAY BE IN THE WRONG SECTION]

Hi all, haven't posted in quite some time here..

Im looking into getting a job within visual merchandising, and was just wondering if anyone on here, has family or has had exp. of the role?

if you have, or family have, how did you get into it? as ive applied for a few, but am not hearing much back.

For those that dont know what VM is..

Visual Merchandising is the activity of promoting the sale of goods, especially by their presentation in retail outlets.. This includes combining products, environments, and spaces into a stimulating and engaging display to encourage the sale of a product or service.

Taken from wiki

Neversoft
02-12-2009, 11:01 PM
I assume some kind of qualification in advertising would benefit.

Turnip
02-12-2009, 11:06 PM
See, i have a qualification in business studies, which has advertising aspects to it, where i have covered merchandising as a subject lightly.

Rollin20
02-12-2009, 11:22 PM
Sounds good, is it good money?
I've got a business qualification and would like to know more about this advertising.

Smits
02-12-2009, 11:29 PM
I like your style. I'm hoping to eventually go into some form of marketing. I think the main thing you need is experiance. If you could manage to get any work experiance in a shop or something like that, it could help improve your chances.

Also, tell us a little more about you, have you been to college or uni to do business? Or just Secondary school?

Turnip
02-12-2009, 11:37 PM
ive got a diploma in business
& i work at morrisons atm lol.

GommeInc
02-12-2009, 11:47 PM
Not really anything to say really, experience is hardly needed, anyone who has applied to a job can tell you their stories of applying to companies and it would work out the same :P Experiencing in a shop helping out with these sorts of things, maybe some knowledge on graphics and art would be of use too. Just pimp out your CV :)

Visual Merchandising <3 Covered that last year with my Degree <3. I love marketing :D

Turnip
03-12-2009, 03:33 PM
alright, cheers for the input all.
rep to you all :).

Papershop
04-12-2009, 09:17 PM
Having a qualification in business studies doesnt exactly help you. Visual merchandising is a combination of business and artistic skill, and requires a more specific qualification (art based). My brother does visual merchandising. He started out working for GAP as normal staff, and they then got asked if he would like to go and merchandise the shop window of the Oxford Street flagship store. Thats how he got into it.

Pyroka
04-12-2009, 09:19 PM
You can get qualifications in VM, however you need to buy the training first. Im pretty sure if you use the search function I made a thread on Visual Merchandising a while back... dont hold me to it though. I'd love to go into it but its a full time thing and I just cant do that :P

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!