PDA

View Full Version : Playstation turns 15

The Professor
03-12-2009, 10:26 PM
Yeah I know its not strictly tech related but this forum is too quiet :P

1994. A good year for many reasons, but for gamers it's best remembered as the year Sony shook things up in a big way with its original PlayStation game console (on this day in Japan, at least -- the rest of us had to wait 'til the fall of 1995). While Sega got a slight head start with its Saturn, the Sony PlayStation's lower price and strong launch line-up of games quickly vaulted it to the top of the pack, and helped bring in the slightly older audience that 3D0 and others tried and failed to capture. Of course, the original PlayStation was also just the beginning for Sony, and the company has taken this opportunity to reminisce a bit about the entire history of the PlayStation brand on a special 15th anniversary website (linked below). Feel free to share some thoughts of your own in the comments.

I honestly didn't know it came out that early, I thought it was 96/97! To think we're only on the 3rd one... The lifespan of consoles is really massive when you compare them to about every other piece of tech! I mean take an ipod from 6 years ago and it looks so dated and useless with its stupid button arrangement but the PS2 would still look at home in a living room today!

I think about these things too much :P

GommeInc
04-12-2009, 01:04 PM
http://www.scei.co.jp/PS15th/

^ Website mentioned in the article :) - it's very flash and funky :P

And so true, loads of companies keep updating their products, but it does revolve around with the lifespan like you mentioned and what companies are involved - a games console has the backing of other companies to play their game specifically made for that console which takes ages to do, while a tiny MP3 player should be compatible with anything, so updating them all the time to make a larger income is the way companies go (though Apple abuse this right with their products, but they usually keep back useful features till about generator 3 :P).

Anyway, I prefered the SEGA Saturn to the PS1 for quite a while, until it broke and that Futuristic Police Helicopter game thing came out. Best game on the PS1 for me :)

Black_Apalachi
04-12-2009, 01:41 PM
I thought it was earlier than that not later, because I thought remembered going round to my mate's house all the time to play on his when I was in reception (1994) but must have been year 1 :P.

... Anyway, I prefered the SEGA Saturn to the PS1 for quite a while, until it broke and that Futuristic Police Helicopter game thing came out. Best game on the PS1 for me :)

I KNOW WHAT GAME YOU MEAN!!!!!! I remember playing it with my mate, you both went round as like hover police robots and had to shoot all the little monster things??? And it wasn't split-screened???? Awesome! :D

xxMATTGxx
04-12-2009, 03:55 PM
PlayStation 1 and them classic GTA games. They were times eh? :P

GommeInc
04-12-2009, 05:04 PM
I KNOW WHAT GAME YOU MEAN!!!!!! I remember playing it with my mate, you both went round as like hover police robots and had to shoot all the little monster things??? And it wasn't split-screened???? Awesome! :D
Hmm, the one I meant (called G-Police , had a quick look up) and it's based in the future on either the moon or another planet, and you fly around in futuristic police helicopters following baddies and shooting down things. I recognise the one you're talking about though :)

Anyone remember Syphon Filter? The electric shock weapon was great, it fired a cable to an enemy and electrocuted them, then they eventually set alight :P

Flisker
04-12-2009, 06:08 PM
Happy birthday PlayStation :D

Invent
05-12-2009, 12:39 AM
Anyone remember Syphon Filter? The electric shock weapon was great, it fired a cable to an enemy and electrocuted them, then they eventually set alight :P

Best friggin' game e-v-e-r.

Firehorse
05-12-2009, 10:48 AM
I still have my psone slim :)

Tomm
05-12-2009, 11:15 AM
Same, still got my PS1 stashed away in a cupboard somewhere. Original Spyro the Dragon ftw.

N!ck
05-12-2009, 01:27 PM
Same, still got my PS1 stashed away in a cupboard somewhere. Original Spyro the Dragon ftw.

The first 3 Spyro the Dragons were great. Spyro 2 FTW. I spent far too many hours on that game completing it again and again :P. Spyro 1 was the hardest of the three and 2 the easiest.

The Professor
05-12-2009, 03:57 PM
I have my PS1 original stuffed under my bed somewhere, although it isn't the original original, that one had the word "power" printed on it, mine just has the symbol... I wanna be proper old skool :'(

Digimon World 3 was easily the best game on it :D

Meanies
05-12-2009, 04:25 PM
the spyros were by far the best game on them !

i wanna find mine now :(

Black_Apalachi
05-12-2009, 07:01 PM
Which number Spyro did I have? It was called Year of the Dragon.

Niall!
06-12-2009, 11:53 AM
Please tell me someone played Future Cop L.A.P.D?
Also, Psychic Force, Ace Combat series, Spyro, Crash, Toomba.

Digimon World was the best digimon game.

Black_Apalachi
06-12-2009, 12:04 PM

I think Future Cop is what I was describing... the name rings a bell :O
Ace Combat was awesome, so was Sky Odyssey (only played them on PS2 though).

The Professor
06-12-2009, 12:13 PM

Digimon world was just a jazzed up tamagochi which was almost impossible to play without gamefaqs. My digimon always turned into the green slimey one :(

By toomba do you mean tomba? That game was awesome :D

Niall!
06-12-2009, 02:00 PM
I think Future Cop is what I was describing... the name rings a bell :O
Ace Combat was awesome, so was Sky Odyssey (only played them on PS2 though).

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/bigboxshots/1/197411_88291_front.jpg

Digimon world was just a jazzed up tamagochi which was almost impossible to play without gamefaqs. My digimon always turned into the green slimey one :(

By toomba do you mean tomba? That game was awesome :D

Yeah I did mean Tomba, just mistyped.

Also, Digimon World was awesome when you shared it with friends, me and 3 mates had a copy between us and each took turns raising him, 1 day it was at my house, the other at Jeffs, etc etc.

Pazza
07-12-2009, 04:15 PM
ABE :D

YOYOYOYOYOYOYOYOYOYOYOYO

GoldenMerc
07-12-2009, 04:29 PM
Abe's oddsy or wot ever its called was good

Arron
07-12-2009, 05:20 PM
GTA LONDON - Birds Eye View

(L)

xxMATTGxx
07-12-2009, 05:43 PM
Does anyone actually remember this game?

http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/misc-games/6921-1.jpg

I used to be addicted to it when I was younger. :P

GoldenMerc
07-12-2009, 06:18 PM
aha didnt that have monkeys in it if so ya i doooo

xxMATTGxx
07-12-2009, 06:28 PM
aha didnt that have monkeys in it if so ya i doooo

Yeah. You was the guy and you have different tools to capture the monkeys and so on. :P

Black_Apalachi
07-12-2009, 07:42 PM
Does anyone actually remember this game?

http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/misc-games/6921-1.jpg

I used to be addicted to it when I was younger. :P

yepp i said it =]

OMG JUST REMEMBERD

First games me and my brother ever got: Star Wars Episode I and Toy Story 2. Toy Story 2 was suchhh a hard game!!!!!!!

The Professor
07-12-2009, 08:54 PM
Thank god I'm not the only one that thought that! I never got very far on it tbh, got bored of it and started on croc 2 instead :P Now there was a game...

Flisker
07-12-2009, 11:23 PM
yepp i said it =]

OMG JUST REMEMBERD

First games me and my brother ever got: Star Wars Episode I and Toy Story 2. Toy Story 2 was suchhh a hard game!!!!!!!
I remember Toy Story 2, I couldn't complete it :(

GommeInc
07-12-2009, 11:40 PM
Woah, there was a Toy Story 2 on the PS1? Oh wait, was that the one where a level is a street area, with a pool you jump in? I think the first level was Andy's House, and you fight a robot in an attic...

Black_Apalachi
07-12-2009, 11:48 PM
Woah, there was a Toy Story 2 on the PS1? Oh wait, was that the one where a level is a street area, with a pool you jump in? I think the first level was Andy's House, and you fight a robot in an attic...

Yeah I think that was it. You went around each level doing a task for each character. There was so much stuff to collect and complete, like gathering Bo Peep's sheet for example.

I also had Toy Story 1 on the Megadrive which was mainly 2D but so much fun :D.

Edit: if I've written anything weird here, I just realised I've been mixing this thread up with the one asking for PS1 titles.

Smits
08-12-2009, 12:06 AM
I remember getting my fist ps1, it was so logn ago now, but i dont think it was in 1995. Wow.

The Professor
08-12-2009, 12:14 AM
Yeah I think that was it. You went around each level doing a task for each character. There was so much stuff to collect and complete, like gathering Bo Peep's sheet for example.

I also had Toy Story 1 on the Megadrive which was mainly 2D but so much fun :D.

Edit: if I've written anything weird here, I just realised I've been mixing this thread up with the one asking for PS1 titles.

Lol read the bold in a Jamaican accent... :D

Toy Story on the megadrive was good up to the level where you were in the claw machine, i could NEVER get past that!

Black_Apalachi
08-12-2009, 12:28 AM
oops I meant *sheep

oh yeah i think i remember the claw machine level! was that before or after the one where you are under a cup? cos I think that was the one that got me, you were walking along underneath a paper cup and had to avoid things.

the best level was the one where you control the RC car :D

PaulMacC
08-12-2009, 12:34 AM
http://forevergeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/finalfantasy7cover.jpg
best. game. ever.

Black_Apalachi
08-12-2009, 12:36 AM
Would you hurt me if I said I've never played FF?

PaulMacC
08-12-2009, 12:40 AM
Yes, I would.
It's in the top 5 best rated games of all time.

Black_Apalachi
08-12-2009, 12:48 AM
i know :( when it was up to like 3 or 4 I saw my mate playing it and it just didn't look good and before I knew it there was like 12 so I just wasn't interested. The fact there was one called FF 10 II or something irritated me too :@

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!