PDA

View Full Version : Wht Camera should i get? (+rep)

T417
04-12-2009, 06:19 PM
I am quite a keen amateur photographer and would like to get a DSLR: I can't choose between the EOS 1000D or the 500D or should i get a totally different one. I want one that is not to hard to use but i'm also not afraid of changing camera settings.

Moved from 'Pictures & Photography' by invincible (Forum Super Moderator)

GommeInc
04-12-2009, 06:50 PM
Most of the Nikons are good. The best Nikon to start off with is the Nikon D50, and the best out of the bunch is probably the D80. Nikons are recommended by Photography Lecturers, and quite alot of photographers use them. Canons are good, but they lack the photography pedigree.

Tomm
04-12-2009, 06:51 PM
Get the 450D rather than the 500D. You're paying extra for the movie recording stuff on the 500D, that's all. Also the higher MP count on the 500D without a increase in sensor size will result in extra noise. Afterall, the resolution on the 450D is more than enough for even large prints.

GnommeInc, I disagree. Next time you watch, say, a football match check out the Canons they are using ;) Also check out Flickr's Stats (http://www.flickr.com/cameras/), Canon DSLRs are by far the most popular camera used.

Markeh
04-12-2009, 08:51 PM
On our photography course at school, we have 1000Ds, and they're not bad. The settings are fairly easy to change, and it can take a decent photo

Jamesy
05-12-2009, 01:00 AM
I use a Canon 1000D and haven't had a single problem with it. If you can get a better canon do so but I'd recommend them.

GommeInc
05-12-2009, 01:08 AM
GnommeInc, I disagree. Next time you watch, say, a football match check out the Canons they are using ;) Also check out Flickr's Stats (http://www.flickr.com/cameras/), Canon DSLRs are by far the most popular camera used.
I stand corrected, though alot of news and photo shoots do you use a Nikon of some sort :) All my friends have Nikon SLRs too come to think of it. I like how the graph makes it look like Canon camera users are opting for the iPhone, as are the other camera users :P

Wexford
05-12-2009, 08:41 AM
a flip camera lol :P

Jamesy
05-12-2009, 09:52 AM
a flip camera lol :P

He's asking for an SLR :eusa_doh:

T417
05-12-2009, 11:52 AM
May sound silly to some but what makes D-SLR so much better than a normal digital camera. They advertise 10million pixel normal cameras for like £100 and DSLr only have like 2 million pixel more is that all that is different?

Tomm
05-12-2009, 12:04 PM
MP should never be used to measure the quality of a certain camera compared to another one. In fact, higher MP point and shoot cameras with small sensors actually reduce image quality (In terms of noise) compared to lower MP point and shoot cameras. This is because the sensor in point and shoot ("normal") cameras is very small, thus causing noise. However, in DSLRs the image sensor is much, much larger (In high end DSLRs the image sensor is actually the same size as 35mm film, although these are highly expensive) meaning a lot less noise resulting in a higher quality image. A full explanation can be found here: http://www.photoxels.com/tutorial_noise.html

Having too many megapixels, even on a DSLR, is a bad thing unless you have a large enough sensor to result in low noise at high ISO sensitivities.

Also with a DSLR you have the advantage of being able to change the lens to one that suits the situation you are photographing. Obviously these lenses are of much higher quality than what you would find stuck on the end of a crappy point and shoot camera meaning, again, in a higher quality photograph. Additionally, you get much more control over your photograph with a DSLR - you can control things like aperture, exposure, ISO and many other things you would not be able to change, normally, on a standard point and shoot camera.

May sound silly to some but what makes D-SLR so much better than a normal digital camera. They advertise 10million pixel normal cameras for like £100 and DSLr only have like 2 million pixel more is that all that is different?

T417
05-12-2009, 12:58 PM
I have heard that Canon are EOS are good for amateur DSLR. SO would you recommend 450D or 1000D?

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!